QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studying in Japan!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Studying in Japan! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know, my Japanese friends seem particularly close with their families. They try to distance themselves from their parents. Most live with their parents during college (those who come here on exchange) and commute to school. Their mothers usually cook their meals for them. One friend had a younger sister she was sort of close with but they fight like siblings do often. My best friend and her older brother seem sort of close too, she goes on trips with him. But it just seems similar to the life style here in Canada of middle class families too (except it's funny to me that they're surprised dads cook here).

01.05.2014, 10:58 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
I don't know, my Japanese friends seem particularly close with their families. They try to distance themselves from their parents. Most live with their parents during college (those who come here on exchange) and commute to school. Their mothers usually cook their meals for them. One friend had a younger sister she was sort of close with but they fight like siblings do often. My best friend and her older brother seem sort of close too, she goes on trips with him. But it just seems similar to the life style here in Canada of middle class families too (except it's funny to me that they're surprised dads cook here).

Thank you very much for the valuable insight.

i did not understood these two sentences

-----------------------------------------
I don't know, my Japanese friends seem particularly close with their families. They try to distance themselves from their parents.
-----------------------------------------

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.06.2014, 03:52 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Their at the age where they're coming into adulthood and want to distance themselves from being seen as a child by their parents. Or something like that. They're trying to build an identity of their own.

01.06.2014, 06:11 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wowww Arren, this is fantastic - looks like you're having an amazing time! Do you plan to visit the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka at some point?

01.10.2014, 05:24 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I will be going to the Ghibli Museum! It seems I need to wait until the 10th of February to get tickets for March, but that's when I plan to go.

And finally I will post some photos from New Year. Sorry for the delay! I also have pictures that I took during January lined up for upload, so I'll start posting those soon too.

First, a few from Kitano Tenmangu on New Year's Eve (if anyone watches Noragami, you'll have encountered Tenjin-sama, who is the deity that Tenmangu shrines are for).

That night we also went to a temple to ring the bell.

And then on New Year's Day we revisited Fushimi Inari.

As always, feel free to ask if there's anything you want to know, or things you'd like to see more photos of.

01.27.2014, 11:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Since I have them all ready to go, I'll post another set of pictures now. A few days after New Year (I think it might've been the 3rd) there was an annual karuta tournament at Yasaka Shrine. Sadly I got there too late to see the actual tournament, but I at least caught the end of the ceremony, and then wandered around the shrine area for a while.

The temple in the last few pictures is Chion-in. At the time I just went because it was there and didn't realise it was actually a very important temple.

01.31.2014, 09:32 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

What would people like to see next? Since I don't know what anyone thought of the last few sets, it seems like it might be a good idea to ask instead of just posting. I have photos from a festival in Nara where a mountain was set alight, and also from my trip to Sapporo. I'll be uploading others soon as well.

02.15.2014, 05:29 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like all the pictures you've posted. The temples and gardens and people, especially events where people dress in traditional costume. The one above with the girls and boys all in their amazingly coloured kimono was really neat.

Its so nice to see the real versions of so many things I'm familar with but animated in 2D.

Some ordinary street scenes would be interesting, particularly ordinary people's homes. Or perhaps those lifting barrier railway crossings so beloved of anime directors

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.15.2014, 10:16 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh I'd love to see some Sapporo pics.

02.16.2014, 10:50 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If close to a coastline, water pics are nice with ships, etc and ports... (the old Navy sailor in me, lol)

02.17.2014, 12:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I'm afraid I'm not really near the water! In a straight line the coast isn't so far away, but actually getting there is another matter. I might check out the port area in Osaka or Kobe at some point though, so I can take pictures then.

As for Saddles's request, I don't have much in the way of everyday photos, but here's a few that I have found.

One day after it snowed:

A busy sort-of-indoor shopping street:

Houses in a suburban area:

Next I'll post pictures from Sapporo, and then maybe a few from that festival in Nara.

02.18.2014, 11:32 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

how much is 85000 yen

i mean is it enough for a month

or how much one can afford with it[ie house rent food travel bla bla]

if its dependent on a city then something like saga.

@arren and orphic

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

02.18.2014, 11:59 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

About 850USD, give or take. I've no idea about Saga, as I had to look it up to even find out where it is. 85,000 yen isn't bad for a month, but any big trips would break the budget. I live in a dorm so I can't tell you how far that would go for rent, but my friend who has a place in Sapporo pays very little per month, so maybe I'm overestimating.

Post last edited by arren18 on 02.18.2014, 12:14 PM.

02.18.2014, 12:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
About 850USD, give or take. I've no idea about Saga, as I had to look it up to even find out where it is. 85,000 yen isn't bad for a month, but any big trips would break the budget. I live in a dorm so I can't tell you how far that would go for rent, but my friend who has a place in Sapporo pays very little per month, so maybe I'm overestimating.

thank you very much

how much you need per month?

02.18.2014, 12:34 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like that 3rd photo. Japanese homes seem to sit on very small plots, or rather they build a house that almost fills the plot and leave only timy strips of garden at the front, rear and sides. With 2 storey structures that close I imagine Japanese houses can be quite dark inside, especially at ground level.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.18.2014, 02:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, I think a lot of houses are like that, especially in the likes of Kyoto where everything is very compact and pushed together. It's different where my dorm is though, as it's somewhat on the outskirts.

saviour - my rent is 45,000 yen, which includes bills, my own toilet and fridge, and the various things that come with being in a dorm. I get 80,000 yen a month as a scholarship, which might cover me if I were more frugal and didn't go on serious trips. As it is, I'm glad that I also get around 75,000 a month in student loan. Altogether it's more than I need.

02.19.2014, 02:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

As promised, here are some photos from Sapporo. Since the forum software doesn't like too many images in one post, I'll exclude the snow festival and make that a separate post later.

The last two are from the top of the JR Tower at the main railway station, where you can go to the 38th floor and look down over the city.

02.21.2014, 06:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

as per the snow pictures... you sure you're not in the eastern USA??? lol

Picture #4: I sure wouldn't want to slip on the stream crossing...

Great pictures, arren, Thanks.

02.21.2014, 11:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Thanks husky! My friend who's studying at Hokkaido University said that there are signs up telling people not to cross the stream there, but he's seen people doing it anyway. I don't think I'd want to even when there isn't snow though...

02.21.2014, 01:25 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Part two: the snow festival

As you can see, the sculptures were generally very impressive, but there were also a few that were charmingly not-so-great, including this one:

02.27.2014, 01:29 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks