QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - i will not post any answer in this but still..... posting it
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » i will not post any answer in this but still..... posting it » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  i will not post any answer in this but still..... posting itPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LOL

LINK

It simply means men and women are different and think differently and should do differently.

As a science student i have to say it is not concluding it does not include many things such as why and how this happens but as a debater yay.....

I wonder how everything i say turns somehow true.

Even if this thread turn one thousand page i wont post. we had this discussion for quite some time. so bye

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.04.2013, 02:10 AM.

12.04.2013, 02:05 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As the comments - and you too actually - have pointed out, there is no actual mention of where these results have come from. While it could be interpreted as meaning that there are inherent differences (and I fear that that will be the most popular interpretation), it can also be down to environmental factors, which would actually back up notions that differences are perpetuated by social expectations. Really, on its own the study says nothing other than "men and women are generally different" but can't show us why that is.

I'm curious what the agenda was behind the study also - as it just tells us something everyone knows is roughly accurate, what drove them to do it? Perhaps they thought they'd find something more surprising.

12.04.2013, 03:04 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey saviour guess what, intersex people exist. What's God's plan for them?

12.04.2013, 04:13 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

^ this.

Also, why is it even news that male and female brains generally work a little differently? We've known this for decades, haven't we? Well, probably centuries actually but we've known it as scientific fact for decades.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 12.04.2013, 05:40 AM.

12.04.2013, 05:39 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What others have said, especially Kaz. Its not new news. Your leap of logic is the problem: "Men and women are different and think differently and should do differently."

The italicised part is your opinion only and not supported by the article.

As part of the discussions below the article, a participant calling themself "NYCyclist" wrote this:

quote:
Please don't use the results of research studies to justify the existence of gender stereotypes. You didn't explicitly do this in your article, but it's what you implied.

This study did not attempt to explain the direction of causality in terms of whether being born XX or XY causes these differences in connectivity - this study merely documented how women's and men's brain connections differ from each other over time. To echo what cassiebearRAWR said, the fact these brain connectivity differences become more pronounced as we mature suggests that our environments may be shaping these differences.

It would be useful to know what the demographic and societal background is for the 900-odd participants in the survey. I am guessing they are USA residents. They may even come from a narrow areaa of the USA such as the north-east, that information isn't given. Similar studies carried out in other cultures might show up more useful trends, as might studies that sample people outside the 8-22 year old age band.

Honestly, Saviour, to open a thread like this, post one article and summarise it with your own slanted opinion and then state you are "right" and you're not going to respond to the discussion is highly immature.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.04.2013, 09:28 AM.

12.04.2013, 09:10 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour, if you ever change your mind about commenting in your own thread, then I'll be happy to join the conversation.

12.04.2013, 10:24 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I'd meant to respond to the "should do differently" part as well. As Saddles points out, the article says nothing that implies this, and the study certainly doesn't. There is nothing about what anybody can and should do, only a rough idea of what they are best-suited to, and then even that isn't attributed to a specific cause. And as others have mentioned, it doesn't take into account people who don't fit perfectly into the recognised categories of man and woman - I'm confident that none of such people were included in the study.

Sadly this thread is a bit pointless since it will just be many people agreeing that the initial argument is severely lacking, and nobody is going to return to back up that argument.

12.04.2013, 10:47 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It really does not matter i just laughed at the article, i know the scientific loopholes in any statistical study however what i said is true whether you believe or not. Ofcourse it was not mentioned that a person should do differently considering he is a man or woman, but how strange it is thinking that you completely forgot thats what we do everyday, i am studying engineering another studying arts just because we excel at certain thing or at least love.not going to extend anymore actually i dont care about it, just posted it to see your reactions i knew it was going to be like this.so.....

however saddle that picture of you in this thread was great. must be dark there. LOL

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.04.2013, 12:34 PM.

12.04.2013, 11:58 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If I may interject one point in the study that wasn't mentioned, at least I didn't see it.

How many of the 949 test subjects didn't fit this profile? Also, the conclusions given fit the sponsors theories... theories... not necessarily facts. Why so few, overall, test subjects? What environmental differences were taken into account? I mean, what occupational, societal and geographical differences were included in this study?

Men are considered more color-blind than women... Why?

I've always theorized that was because women are more concerned with colors and their hues than men, such as in thread for sewing or clothing. Men generally aren't. But I thought that a male tailor might not be as color-blind as most other men... An environmental reason. Is this fact just because I theorize it to be? No, it is not, it is my theory only.

12.04.2013, 02:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

- Saviour's signature

hahahahahahahahaha

12.04.2013, 06:46 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Saviour, are you familiar with the concept of an internet troll? You're just starting a thread with a single source for your argument, then ignoring the actual points made against you and just coming back to laugh at people for trying to give intelligent responses. To me, that's the behaviour of a troll.

Husky makes some more good points - the study shows what the results were on average, but we don't know from the article how uniform the results were, or what backgrounds the people had beyond being men or women. And also, as husky says, you can theorise something and that doesn't make it true. You have your theories that you desperately want this study to verify, and when it doesn't quite fit, you just keep saying it does in the hope that we'll start to believe you.

12.04.2013, 09:16 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm fairly sure saviour has been trolling us for a while. I told him he was one months ago. I also suspect the more serious and gloomy nature of some of the discussions in the threads he's started have been a cause of so much drop-off in traffic here.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.04.2013, 09:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I agree. I was saying in a recent post that I missed the fun atmosphere that we used to have here, and while I don't think it's entirely down to threads like these, it doesn't really help that there have been so many very argumentative discussions going on.

12.05.2013, 06:39 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think these are wrong accusation on me.

It is based on personal feelings.

I think i was more absent than present in this forum due to my studies.when i joined many people were already gone.

we only had four or five serious discussions like that. You guys did not even try to post threads in ghibli section. posting highlights of your day and girls picture in anime cant be a productive forum environment.

The reason why this is happening is not because of me just because you guys matured became older.

So stop blaming others and try to grasp reality. your contradiction specifically makes me wonder if you really lost hold of reality and started to live in anime world.

The problems i disscuss is present and even though i may not be fully understand or explain these, these need to be solved. Pretending to be happy and the escapism toward anime(or any medium) is just like being that picture of saddle he posted here.

Your problem with me is because of your over-reaction not being able to tolerate opposite thoughts/ideas, you guys just simply cant admit that a large portion of your belief is wrong. You cant say the same to me because i have tried to make sure mine are right disscussing with you and many guys. Still i am not sure about many things which i think i will understand when i am a bit older. Also my belief are not contradictory, but yours are. Such as you are saying this study here is a theory but darwin's monkey thing (evolution is different) is also a theory and it even has less proof than this. So you are just taking things which fulfil your ideas and which do not you rule them out. It is straight forward cheating to yourself .think about it.

I have never tried to outsmart any of you. But for some reason i dont know you guys thought that and started to dislike me. For a guy like me it has been common for quite some time still i have many good friends who like my ideas, and i have seen very few them who rule them out to be successful in life overall. Why? for me? ofcourse not. Their ideas always turned toward bad things which made their habit worsen day by day. Now they are just hopeless. You guys live in a different kind of society. So i am almost sure it wont happen to you.In the end of the life it only matters if it has been peaceful. I dont know how many people can get that peace having too many contradictory thoughts.I hope you get peace. I dont want to hurt anyone personally.

Sorry dont take these personally.These are just sentences but i think you will read these as you see or think about me.

However thinking over these things cant hurt.

12.05.2013, 11:48 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Would it be too extreme to ban this guy? It seems pretty clear that he started this thread just so he could say, "Nah nah, I'm right, you're wrong!" and blow raspberries at anyone who doesn't agree with him (which is everyone else on the forum, I'm pretty sure). I'm getting pretty sick of his three-year-old mentality.

If you had some other noble intention for this thread apart from shoving more of your self-righteousness down our throats, please enlighten me, Saviour.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 12.06.2013, 08:16 AM.

12.06.2013, 01:05 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

i knew you were going to use that selfrighteousness word orphic. But i wont argue anymore with you.I knew this would turn out this bad

Thats why i said i wont post in thread but all you could do is involve me personally into it (in my opinion thats what certain kind of people do,and i think it happened in a lot of threads) thats why i only answered after i was attacked personally.

i think this line was preety clear

As a science student i have
to say it is not concluding it
does not include many
things such as why and how
this happens but as a
debater yay.....

and orphic i think everybody knows about your maturity too, OK. Be well.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.06.2013, 04:39 AM.

12.06.2013, 04:35 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
we only had four or five serious discussions like that. You guys did not even try to post threads in ghibli section. posting highlights of your day and girls picture in anime cant be a productive forum environment.

The problems i disscuss is present and even though i may not be fully understand or explain these, these need to be solved. Pretending to be happy and the escapism toward anime(or any medium) is just like being that picture of saddle he posted here.
The forum was ticking along perfectly well for years without any big, heavy discussions on the problems of the world. There's a reason this forum is largely made up of light topics and anime discussion: it's what the users here like. We like to hear about and talk about each other's daily lives and about our favourite shows, we don't come here to try to solve world hunger.

After all, this is Ghibli Tavern. It exists because some people like some animated films a particular studio made. It was made first and foremost for the discussion of those films, and then other anime, and then any other miscellaneous topics. You can't possibly be surprised that in a forum like this, people are more interested in talking about anime than about heavy, complicated issues. It's like going to a forum about cake-baking and then being surprised when they don't want to discuss abortion.

My Anime List

12.06.2013, 07:29 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

We could just all not reply to any of his non-anime related posts. Its the best way to deal with trolls. Don't feed them. That's going to be my policy from now on.

12.06.2013, 08:25 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Ofcourse i do not mind that.

I think before the girls thread thats what i did.

But general discussion is general and so it can range from a wide range of topic from world politics to daily business. It was voluntery by everyone i cant and did not force to join me. That said you also need to either ignore or just post with respect in other threads that has different tones.

But saying ghibli is made up of light hearted things is incorrect in my opinion. the number is only one even that cant be considered light hearted. And thats the reason i love ghibli,for its massages. Its been quite clear(i made posts why i love it) since i joined.

The thing that bother me is that kaz that you guys are intolerant toward almost every new thing i tried to do and then lecture me about the quite peaceful village you like. It is a general forum you must understand that it cant run by your or anyone's definition as long as i am following rules. Arren tried to put a new thread that needs group effort that clearly shows that this forum is not very productive.

I do not like not doing anything kind of place. If you dont like that then thats your problem not mine.
You guys need to respect that part of me.

If not its another contradiction.

12.06.2013, 08:40 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
We could just all not reply to any of his non-anime related posts. Its the best way to deal with trolls. Don't feed them. That's going to be my policy from now on.

Thats cool with me.You are just at 8000 posts congrats.

12.06.2013, 08:42 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks