QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Behold the great curiosity[i know this does not make sense]
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Behold the great curiosity[i know this does not make sense] » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Behold the great curiosity[i know this does not make sense]Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is what was a debate around us but seems legit

this is the new project from ghibli

http://marnie.jp/index.html

here is the post from anime news network

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...ovel-into-anime

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.13.2013, 02:59 AM.

12.13.2013, 02:47 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aha, so now we know what that picture came from! Interesting that it appeared so long before the film was actually announced. Anyway, this sounds like it could be good, though the plot summary reminds me somewhat of Arrietty, so I hope it won't be too similar to what we've already seen from this director...

12.13.2013, 03:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I, too, immediately picked up on that picture... and you're right, quite a time difference there...

12.13.2013, 03:52 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wait, hold up. Arrietty was NOT by Miyazaki? How'd I miss that?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.13.2013, 06:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
~OneSummersDay~
Calcifer

Registration Date: 08.12.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ~OneSummersDay~ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It was directed by Yonebayashi but Miyazaki did the scripting I think?

12.23.2013, 05:40 AM ~OneSummersDay~ is offline   Profile for ~OneSummersDay~ Add ~OneSummersDay~ to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that's right. But yeah, Miyazaki didn't direct Arrietty. I see Yonebayashi himself is one of the writers for the new one, so I wonder how that will affect it.

12.23.2013, 07:27 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Talk about some obscure source material. It seems like the book's been out of print for ages; copies on Amazon are going for hundreds of dollars. That's a bummer. I would've liked to give it a read, to get an idea of what we're in for with the movie.

I think this announcement raises an interesting question. With Miyazaki officially retired, and Takahata unlikely to direct another film before he dies (considering he is 78, and there was a nearly fifteen year gap between his last two), do you think Ghibli will forego original stories from now on, and focus on doing adaptations? Miyazaki and Takahata have both done adaptations themselves, of course, but as far as I know, they're the only directors at Ghibli to have written and directed their own original ideas.

I honestly wouldn't mind too much if Ghibli stuck to projects like this form now on, where at least they are generating some interest for lost classics of children's literature. But I would be curious to see an original story from one of Ghibli's new directors, since presumably they would have a different style and storytelling approach.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 12.24.2013, 12:03 AM.

12.23.2013, 06:56 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghibli does it best with originals, me thinks. Comparing the recent movies with classic greats like Nausicaa and Mononoke Hime is like comparing Haagen Daaz and Marigold.

Yes, I'm hungry.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.23.2013, 08:24 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know if there's a correlation... WotH, Kiki, and Grave of the Fireflies are all excellent despite being adaptations.

12.23.2013, 10:58 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Only Yesterday is also a manga adaptation, and an amazing film up there with the best Ghiblis. And Pom Poko, one of my least favorite Ghibli movies, is an original story. I'm with Mush, I don't think you can make generalizations about quality based on whether or not the film was adapted from another work.

12.24.2013, 12:09 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think to direct something that is like nausicaa or mononoke is not possible by anyother director other than miyazaki himself.

the other films ghibli created are exceptional but they will never be this epic scale.

Specially due to the budget and trust. New directors in ghibli dont have that caliber

but i dont mind classic tale adaptations just hope they dont spend too much money on any of these as we already know what is going to happen.

I think only if Hosada joined ghibli it would have been different but it is most probably not possible.

here is a link

http://www.wildgrounds.com/2010/06/09/in...da-summer-wars/

So overall i am not really sure if ghibli will ever get to the pinnacle again.

You really need some enthusiastic directors for that, specially reading about miyazaki and takahata for large portion of their life animation was not to be considered as only for income, they wanted to deliver a massage which i think have reached millions. So unless someone like them who is conceptually motivated and also a talented director can only make ghibli ghibli again.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

12.24.2013, 01:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks