QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Official When Marnie Was There News Thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Official When Marnie Was There News Thread » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Official When Marnie Was There News ThreadPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So i opened a facebook page. Which seems to be the first one in facebook about it.

so like the page

https://www.facebook.com/WhenMarnieWasThere

and i will post some more news if i find some.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

05.05.2014, 05:23 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What's this?

05.07.2014, 03:07 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.07.2014, 08:33 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

An older, angry savior??? lol

I do believe that Spidey was referring to the "When marnie was there" thing... As am I...

Vas ist?

05.07.2014, 09:53 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw trailers for the film the other day. The Japanese title is Omoide no maanii. It's opening July 19th. The background quality is a step above Gedo and a step or two below Ghibli's normal photorealism. The foreground characters seem to be below par for a Ghibli film, so I hope it will be a good story.

06.20.2014, 07:27 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yonebayashi is directing this one, I loved Arrietty and he has put a lot of work into a lot of previous Ghibli films.

I have read a little about it, seems like an interesting story

06.21.2014, 05:42 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/WhenMarnieWasThere?ref=hl

NEW PICTURES

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.07.2014, 07:40 AM.

07.07.2014, 07:32 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

07.07.2014, 07:35 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Beautiful artwork. Who is directing this?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.07.2014, 07:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The guy who directed arrietty, Hiromasa Yonebayashi.

07.07.2014, 07:52 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Since it's coming out this month, perhaps I'll catch it while I'm still here. If I do, I'll let you guys know.

07.07.2014, 09:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The main character looks rather androgynous. I'm highly suspecting that it's a she, but you know.

Then again, when was the last time the main character was a male for ghibli?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.08.2014, 12:55 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
The main character looks rather androgynous. I'm highly suspecting that it's a she, but you know.

Then again, when was the last time the main character was a male for ghibli?

it is she.

07.08.2014, 04:20 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The blonde girl? Definitely female. How can that face be androgynous?

The artwork looks very nice but some of the characters worry me as being stereotypical. The usual beautiful male/female lead who ought to work in idol magazines, the jovial fat boy (who almost certainly has no girlfriend), the wrinkled wise old woman, the librarian calm sweet motherly lady (in glasses no less to make her look more intelligent), the downtrodden but nonetheless happy blue collar worker... all stereotypes. I hope these characters don't turn out to be what their images suggest they are.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.08.2014, 07:25 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The artwork looks very nice but some of the characters worry me as being stereotypical. The usual beautiful male/female lead who ought to work in idol magazines, the jovial fat boy (who almost certainly has no girlfriend), the wrinkled wise old woman, the librarian calm sweet motherly lady (in glasses no less to make her look more intelligent), the downtrodden but nonetheless happy blue collar worker... all stereotypes. I hope these characters don't turn out to be what their images suggest they are.

Told you.. i dont think you remember

quote:
The blonde girl? Definitely female. How can that face be androgynous?

i think roar meant the girl beside blondie

07.08.2014, 10:10 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
No, I don't. care to remind me rather than be unhelpfully cryptic?

I assumed that was a boy.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.08.2014, 10:55 AM.

07.08.2014, 10:54 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would have said the "fat boy" is almost certainly a grown man, but anyway, I don't know. It's impossible to say from these few pictures what the characters will really be like.

Based on the pink yukata, I'd say the brunette is probably a girl.

07.08.2014, 12:02 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
quote:
No, I don't. care to remind me rather than be unhelpfully cryptic?

Sorry. i did not meant to be cryptic. Actually i was not serious when writing it

it was when we talked in the next miyazaki and other threads. then i said ghibli is going to survive but probably it wont make something different as takahata or miyazaki.

speaking of stereotype character , personally i feel that the delivery of woth truly exceptional it is a great movie. but is not the characters stereotypical too. what do you think.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.08.2014, 01:44 PM.

07.08.2014, 12:27 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Shizuku is far from stereotypical, she seems facially to be quite a plain mousey girl and not a pretty girl at all. She doesn't just cling to a boy with romantic intentions using her looks or some kind of simpering affectation like many rom-coms use but chooses to better herself through her own efforts in order to both learn more of her own limitations and to earn Seiji's respect.

Seiji would, if he were stereotypical, be a shy nerdy dude who couldn't see Shizuku's affections for him if she slapped him in the face with them. Instead they fall in love in a simple and natural way with none of those annoying trip-ups and misunderstandings rom-coms are full of. Rather than ending with a dreamy feelgood first-love relationship, he chooses to spend years in a foreign country learning a trade separating them in a test of their feelings which may or may not be overcome.

On the other hand while I very much enjoyed From Up On Poppy Hill I thought that story was somewhat predictable with both moderately stereotyped male/female leads and a ridiculous and co-incidental storyline. It was cute and fun and the period setting was fascinating but there's a wide gulf in the quality of story compared to Whisper.

Perhaps the faces depicted in this new movie's screenshots are going to be equally interesting characters, but from a single simple face shot I was concerned that they screamed out their roles to me straight away.

I hope I'm wrong.

07.08.2014, 01:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

you all know i dont get romance[almost none at all], so in spite of your backups i still feel they are stereotypical mainly because it falls in the school romance genre. all the elements are there. just different recipe.

However i get the fact clearly Sujuku and Seiji are far more complex than most of the other examples. But i feel, that is , the more complex character, is because of the director's and writer's view or influence.[miyazaki and kondo]. If anyone other than them directed it with the exact same screenplay[not storyboard] and story i think Those two characters would have looked stereotypical.

Woth is great movie, so it is a bit awkward to criticize it.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 07.08.2014, 01:55 PM.

07.08.2014, 01:54 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks