QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Official When Marnie Was There News Thread
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Official When Marnie Was There News Thread » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.23.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totorosfantasy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Ah, so you saw it! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was pleasantly surprised by this one - a lot better than Arrietty by the same director, I thought.

I thought it was better also. Not that Arrietty was bad, but I didn't really feel a connection with the characters as much as I did with Marnie.

03.01.2015, 07:06 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haven't seen it yet and don't want spoilers but from the trailer I think it looks special and can't wait to get my hands on the DVD.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.01.2015, 07:35 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totorosfantasy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm wondering if they're planning a gradual release across the board, the same way they released Kaguya in select theaters. I saw that the DVD is planned on being available in Japan in a few weeks, but no word on a Western release (you can be sure I keep checking on Amazon for a notice).

03.01.2015, 11:45 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't think Arrietty was bad either. Actually I don't think any of the Ghibli films I've seen are bad, but Arrietty was among the weaker ones in my opinion.

I'd like it to be released here before long, but I'm also hoping to leave the country in the late summer so if it's later than that it'll be no use.

03.02.2015, 01:45 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

If you're in Scotland odds are that it won't be released in the theaters for months. I know it took that much longer for Kaguya to be released in Western Europe, after its limited nationwide releases in the States.

03.02.2015, 03:33 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OK, I have just bought a copy of the BOOK, "When Marnie was There".
Choices:
1. Wait until I've seen the DVD...?
2. Go ahead and read the book...?

Arghhh!

It will be hard, but my first idea is to wait on reading the book. I don't really want to know what is ahead in the DVD and books are usually fuller in detail than the movie version. I guess this is what I will do...

Don't read!

Don't read!

OK... Found a copy of "Marnie". A bit pricey, the most I've ever paid for a DVD. $68US... It is a Region 2, so I will have to watch it on my computer, which is ok. In Japanese with English subtitles, which is fine, my preference anyway. Being shipped from Japan, so it will be a few days...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.03.2015, 10:46 AM.

03.03.2015, 10:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

I was hoping my library, or any library in my region might have a copy of the book to borrow; but none held it unfortunately. I hope to get my hands on it someday.

In the meantime, I'll keep checking online for when the official North American version of the movie is available for pre-order.

03.03.2015, 12:34 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Priscilla Ahn's voice reminds me a lot of Lucy Rose who sang Shiver in Mushishi Zoku Shou.

I consider Arrietty pretty good (would've been better without that half-baked romance). Singapore didn't get Arrietty, and I doub't we'll get Marnie either, so I guess it's CDJapan to the rescue

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.04.2015, 08:47 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

You're right about the romance. It was kinda cheesy and unnecessary in Arriety. We get the fact that they've developed a kinship; but it's just weird to think of anything more than that.

03.04.2015, 01:47 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Personally, I didn't see the relationship between Arriety and the boy as romantic at all. He was the first 'boy' that she had ever met or talked to and showed her that not all 'human beans' were mean. True, I sensed a 'love' for one another, but not a romantic type of love, more of a good friends, or even family, sort of thing...

I felt sad that they would never meet again...

03.05.2015, 12:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

Point taken. At least she was quick to warm up to Spiller and befriend him. One thing I didn't know about until just reading this post on Wikipedia, only the dubbed version contains that "epilogue" just before the credits come on where Shawn/Sho says that his surgery was indeed successful and that he was happy to hear of rumors of objects mysteriously disappearing in neighbor's homes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrietty

03.05.2015, 02:33 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We need an Arietty thread for all this!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.05.2015, 03:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

I know. I guess we were getting carried away. I'd like to talk about Marnie, but unfortunately not too many on here have seen the film yet.

03.06.2015, 10:37 AM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Personally, I didn't see the relationship between Arriety and the boy as romantic at all.

I don't think it was supposed to be either. But the thing about having read the actual novel, where the boy was a LOT more childish (and probably much younger too), I can't help but think that Sho's character was almost disgustingly like Disney's prince. That's why I said it was half-baked; it's like there's something going on but at the same time not.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

03.06.2015, 10:42 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

Just something to add with reference to "Marnie". The recording artist who did the end credits song "Fine on the Outside", Priscilla Ahn, wrote a very heartwarming article about her life experiences with Miyazaki's movies in general.

http://www.hitcityusa.com/features/post/...-hayao-miyazaki

03.31.2015, 02:56 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

OFFICIAL TRAILER OF DUBBED VERSION!!!!!!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Totorosfantasy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wanted to share this article with the exclusive new trailer of "When Marnie Was There", in advance of its release for Western theaters with dubbing!

New "When Marnie Was There" Trailer

04.15.2015, 12:13 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I just found out the DVD is actually out. Guess that's the ghibli I'll be buying this year then.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

04.20.2015, 10:52 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
husky51
The Old Guy

I highly recommend the book as well, but watch the movie FIRST...

04.20.2015, 12:32 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Totorosfantasy
Tanuki

I just bought the book from a store in the UK. Believe it or not, I can't find it anywhere being sold throughout the Domestic US; and I'm fed up with having to wait for my local library to get a hold of a copy. I should get it within a week or so.

04.20.2015, 03:41 PM Totorosfantasy is offline   Profile for Totorosfantasy Add Totorosfantasy to your buddy list Send an Email to Totorosfantasy
husky51
The Old Guy

When you've read it, let me know what you think of it...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.20.2015, 04:54 PM.

04.20.2015, 04:53 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks