QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Video Games
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Video Games » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Oh, definitely! There are thousands of mods and many work to make the game world look nicer. The ones I downloaded were just for making better-looking characters but I'll probably experiment with mods for other things in the future now that I've worked out how to do it.

Bah, discovered an annoying bug last night that meant some of my save files were being overwritten when I used different characters. Had to restart afresh. Hopefully it'll work properly now...

So far I have Sorren the wood elf, Thalassa the dark elf and Erys the nord. They are all beautiful, but none quite as beautiful as Erys, who is silver-eyed and has a mane of golden hair that reaches past his bottom.

No i know that there are many graphics mod but did you use any that changed you perception about game graphics. I tried some of them, then got tired. Review sites are not very useful too as they tend to over complicate things. Good Luck Exploring, A warning; i felt slight nausea when i played the game, specially when fighting, i think that is the main reason why i stopped playing apart from no time.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

10.30.2016, 04:20 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

After a year I am still playing another of Bethesda's open world/sandbox games - Fallout 4 - and the gameplay value in these huge games is amazing. You very definitely get your money's worth. I've invested 450 hours into F4 now and haven't finished the main storyline nor interacted at all with one of the main factions and only just begun a series of missions with another. I suspect my gameplay time is only about 50% through.

The level of detail in the scenery, places, characters and events all across the huge map is mind-boggling.

There is also a huge game-within-a-game with F4 that allows you to found, construct and manage settlements which you can focus on for 100s of hours if you really want, without going out into the post-apocalyptic world at all, more or less.

Like you Kaz, my game is now stuffed full of mods and it makes the time invested in the game even more fun.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.30.2016, 04:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

450 Hours. WOW

In most games i cant invest more than 30 Hours

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.30.2016, 07:55 AM.

10.30.2016, 07:53 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The big sandbox open world games like Kaz with Skyrim and me with Fallout 4 are not like most games. The maps are maybe 400 sq miles (20m x 20m).

I have two military real time strategy games (Jutland and Scourge of War) that I have played for literally YEARS. I bought Jutland in about 2004 or 2005 and SoW in about 2011 and haven't stopped playing them. Have possibly put 1000s of hours into those.

I don't buy many games, probably on average only about one a year and I stopped playing linear FPS games that have only about 50 hours total gameplay in them years ago. I think Half Life 2 was the last of those I bought.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.30.2016, 12:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

I get bored as similar things needs to be done repeatedly.

I like Games like splinter cell, hitman where you can think about your gameplay. Although very small, much more enjoyable than RPG. I played Dragon Age which is similar to skyrim but much more concise and cool. I did not play fallout.

10.30.2016, 11:53 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watching Cry play Final Fantasy XV at the moment. God, it looks so good. So good. I want it so badly but I don't have any console to play it on... I wish they'd release it for PC.

My Anime List

12.19.2016, 04:14 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Watching Cry play Final Fantasy XV at the moment. God, it looks so good. So good. I want it so badly but I don't have any console to play it on... I wish they'd release it for PC.

It is going to be late. I heard at least late 2017 or 2018. And it will need a good GPU. What is your configuration? (i mean your PC)

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 12.19.2016, 11:13 AM.

12.19.2016, 08:43 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been playing lots of Rhythm Heaven DS. I love this game so, so much.

12.19.2016, 03:53 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
Threewishes
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.23.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Threewishes Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This thread may be a bit old, but anyway, recently I have been playing mostly Guild Wars 2 and Oblivion, both are nice games in my opinion.

05.02.2017, 03:34 AM Threewishes is offline   Profile for Threewishes Add Threewishes to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watching Cry play Yakuza 0 right now. This seems like a really good game, it's got an intense and compelling main story but the tons of extra content is also great, the sidequests are genuinely cool and often really funny, the minigames are fun, the characters are well written and likeable. And I'm not even playing, just watching. I really like the main character, Kiryu. He's just so cool.

Edit: turns out there's a second main character and he's also an incredible badass.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 05.18.2017, 12:32 PM.

05.17.2017, 10:55 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Let me see... the last video games I played at home were hhhmmmmm, oh yeah, Mario Bros and some video on Nintendo about a guy with a sword rescuing a princess... lol

I used to love Asteroid at the arcades...

yeah, yeah, look at my Title... Old Guy, remember... lol

But I've watched 'Wreck it Ralph" a couple of times... does that count as playing a video???

05.17.2017, 01:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yesterday my flatmate and I sat for a few hours and played all the way through Doki Doki Literature Club. It starts as the most normal, stereotypical anime dating sim you could imagine and then... my god, does it take a turn for the dark, and everything goes to Hell from there... It was actually a very well made thing, and trying to figure out the story was very enjoyable. Not everyone's cup of tea, though.

I was also watching a let's play recently of a game called Rakuen. It was beautiful; incredibly touching. You spend your time between a hospital ravaged by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, and a colourful, charming fantasy world. The two are connected; what you do in one world may affect the other, and many of the characters you meet exist in both worlds, though they may look very different in each. You learn their stories, and help where you can to bring them peace. Just be prepared to shed a few tears.

My Anime List

10.11.2017, 04:52 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I haven't paid any attention to Japanese video games because I think I'm tainted by the "dating sim" thing which leaves me cold. What would be the best way to get into good Japanese video games?

Also - language barrier. I'd need an English translation that was decipherable.

10.11.2017, 06:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I mean, how do you feel about JRPGs? There are plenty of great series in that genre. Final Fantasy, The Legend of Zelda, the 'Tales of...' series... How about Ni no Kuni? These all have excellent translations, too.

I can't imagine the gaming world without Japanese games, they're such a huge part of it and always have been. Dating games are such a tiny piece of that picture. Be a shame to shy away from Japanese-made titles just because of them.

My Anime List

10.11.2017, 08:06 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Well... that just shows how much I don't know about it. My experience is all with western games.

I have heard of Final Fantasy and Zelda and the fantasy genre just doesn't interest me in the slightest. I haven't heard of "Tales of..." or "Ni no Kuni". I suppose being so western-fed I simply haven't been exposed to Japanese games at all. For me to mention dating sims probably suggests how out of the loop I am since this is what I come across on the internet via the sites I visit

I enjoy puzzle games, post apoc games, SF games, shooters, strategy, military sims.

Let me list some:

Witness, 35mm, Talos Principle, Fallout, Total War, ArmA, Half-Life, Red Orchestra. As you can see several are military simulations and I don't see any relevance here with Japanese game companies (Though there might be some).

I don't even KNOW what a JRPG is other than what the acronym obviously stands for. I'd be delighted to be educated on the whole culture, I just don't know where to go (other than inside your enthusiasm) to learn much.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 10.11.2017, 09:26 PM.

10.11.2017, 09:25 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
, I just don't know where to go (other than inside your enthusiasm) to learn much.

I like your choice of words there, Saddles...

10.11.2017, 11:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From what you're saying you DO like, I think JRPGs probably wouldn't be your cup of tea. They're not typically very fast-paced or realistic. You might like Zelda or Okami though, since they have some RPG elements but the gameplay is more action/adventure.

There are also plenty of games that don't fit into typically Japanese genres. Series like Resident Evil or Metal Gear could be pretty fun for you.

10.12.2017, 01:15 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I know them both very well. I never knew they were Japanese! Wow.

Fast pace isn't necessary; 35mm is very slow and atmospheric for the most part of the section I've done, and games like "Everyone's Gone To The Rapture" are also my thing.

Walking simulators. That was the genre I was looking for the name of.

10.12.2017, 06:14 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Metal Gear especially is an example of how finding out where it's really made makes you notice how the depiction of Americans is a bit off. Like when I found out Grand Theft Auto was originally made in Edinburgh.

And yeah I suppose fast pace really isn't a requirement. I haven't played much of them but SRPGs (I believe the S is for strategy) might be up your alley. Games with "Tactics" in the title are usually SRPGs.

10.12.2017, 09:39 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hmm. If you like puzzle games, I wonder if you'd like the Professor Layton games. I've never played any myself, but I've heard they're very good.

I wonder how you'd like Yakuza 0. I don't know what genre it'd come under, it's (as you'd guess) about yakuza in 1980s Tokyo and Osaka. The atmosphere is fantastic, the story is fantastic, it's chock-full of entertaining characters. Worth anyone's time, I think.

Ni no Kuni is an RPG that Studio Ghibli had a hand in creating, it's come up in threads here now and then. Joe Hisaishi even did the soundtrack. A streamer I like played it for 24 hours for charity a while back, and it looks great. It being a fantasy RPG though, it might not to be up your street.

My Anime List

10.12.2017, 11:37 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks