QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Do we have any Italian speakers?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Do we have any Italian speakers? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Do we have any Italian speakers?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi guys! I know I've been a bit quiet lately, it is the dreaded exam time.

Here is the issue. On thursday I have an exam where they want us to translate quite a few scenes from various post-war Italian films. The thing is the only training any of us have had is last year we did level 1 Italian, but this only enables me to order food in a restaurant or at best give directions. So post-war existentialist soliloquies are a touch beyond me.

I've been using the internet to translate the scenes (to then memorise in English, since this seems the only way) but the problem is often they're in slightly off dialects (like Roman or Sicilian) or they're figures of speech, and the translators just do not get it at all.

Thus I was wondering if we had anyone who was any good at Italian, if I could run a few of these tricky phrases by them.

05.26.2014, 08:55 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Let me summarize your problem using an analogy: you are taught only the alphabet in class but are required to write shakespeare in the exam?

Because that's how it sounds like.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.26.2014, 09:04 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Let me summarize your problem using an analogy: you are taught only the alphabet in class but are required to write shakespeare in the exam?

Because that's how it sounds like.

Pretty much precisely.

They also expect us to answer grammar questions on things like future tense, which we never taught either.

It's an awfully organised exam, so I'm just trying to scrape through it using strategy.

05.26.2014, 09:17 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On the bright side, you said it's "a few scenes" and from "various... film". That got me thinking how it's actually possible to just pull out scenes that only contain basic Italian. Or to make it more challenging, scenes where the lines can get a bit complicated, but one where enough simple vocabulary were used, and you have to translate the lines not literally but based on what you feel the scene is expressing, like literature.

If it's either of the two, maybe just revising on simple vocab and grammar should suffice. Why not check with your professor?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.26.2014, 11:29 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
On the bright side, you said it's "a few scenes" and from "various... film". That got me thinking how it's actually possible to just pull out scenes that only contain basic Italian. Or to make it more challenging, scenes where the lines can get a bit complicated, but one where enough simple vocabulary were used, and you have to translate the lines not literally but based on what you feel the scene is expressing, like literature.

If it's either of the two, maybe just revising on simple vocab and grammar should suffice. Why not check with your professor?

Ah no, unfortunately it's a set collection of about 25 scenes from set movies. They all vary in difficulty, but it's unknown which scenes precisely will feature and which won't. As a result it's just a case of parrot-like memorization and repetition, which I fail to see how benefits us as students in the slightest.

05.26.2014, 12:22 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks