QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern Members Personal Ranked Ghibli Lists
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Tavern Members Personal Ranked Ghibli Lists » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Tavern Members Personal Ranked Ghibli ListsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi Would be interesting to have everyone rank order the movies at the beginning of the game, actually.

I agree. This is worth doing, even if just for fun. On the other hand it may generate some good discussions. I feel sure we must have done this before yet I can't remember a thread where there's been an open discussion of all Ghibli's works in comparison for either technical/artistic merit or personal preference.

This'll also probably be very difficult for everyone and I'm thinking we might not get a single Tavern member able to list them all in order (or if we do, that order will be fluid over time). I'm sure mine will change as Igive this consideration.

I'll take a stab at this to start but I may amend things in the next days a I spend a while thinking it over.

Here's the list in release order:

Lupin the III: the Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales From Earthsea
Ponyo
The Secret World of Arrietty
From Up On Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

And here's my list:

22. Whisper of the Heart
21. Only Yesterday
20. Ocean Waves
19. Castle in the Sky
18. Porco Rosso
17. From Up On Poppy Hill
16. Pom Poko
15. The Wind Rises
14. Princess Mononoke
13. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
12. Spirited Away
11. My Neighbour Totoro
10. Howl's Moving Castle
09. The Cat Returns
08. My Neighbours the Yamadas
07. Kiki's Delivery Service
06. Lupin the III: the Castle of Cagliostro
05. Grave of the Fireflies
04. Tales From Earthsea
03. The Secret World of Arrietty

Left out of my ranking - not seen them yet.

XX. Ponyo
XX. The Tale of Princess Kaguya

I'm going to leave these without any comments for now and maybe fill in some thoughts when some have "jiggled into place" a bit more.

I added the numbers to give each a score. 22 points being the highest you can give and 01 being the lowest. I suggest you don't rank a film you have not seen. After we're done we can add up the scores and get an overall MTR (members Tavern rating)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 09.04.2014, 11:26 AM.

09.04.2014, 11:22 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I see that all the romantic movies are in the top(top 6) of your list, is this intentional
(i mean you like them because they are romantic) or you just like them for no particular reason.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

09.05.2014, 01:04 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I see that your list of preferences is not so far from the actual order in which they've been eliminated in the game. I guess you've had better success than me.

I was actually thinking it might be fun after the game ends, to try another comparison tournament but with a different format. I've given it some thought so I have a good idea of what it would look like, but I'll wait until the elimination game ends.

09.05.2014, 04:25 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Managed to find a list I prepared a few years ago. I more or less still agree with my preferences, and added in the newer films. Generally I find that the overall "groupings" in such a list are usually consistent, but the ordering within a group tends to be random. Eg, Arrietty and Earthsea always rank pretty low for me, but which one I prefer between them changes often.

22 Whisper of the Heart
21 Princess Mononoke
20 Grave of the Fireflies
19 My Neighbour Totoro
18 Only Yesterday
17 Porco Rosso
16 Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
15 Castle in the Sky
14 The Tale of Princess Kaguya
13 Spirited Away
12 The Wind Rises
11 Kiki's Delivery Service
10 Ocean Waves
9 The Cat Returns
8 My Neighbours the Yamadas
7 Ponyo
6 Howl's Moving Castle
5 Pom Poko
4 From Up On Poppy Hill
3 The Secret World of Arrietty
2 Tales From Earthsea

XX Lupin the III: the Castle of Cagliostro

Post last edited by Theowne on 09.06.2014, 09:49 PM.

09.06.2014, 09:48 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
I see that all the romantic movies are in the top(top 6) of your list, is this intentional
(i mean you like them because they are romantic) or you just like them for no particular reason.

I honestly had not noticed that, but yes, you're right, and yes, I do enjoy romantic stories.

Having said that I see Spirited Away as having a strong romance element as of course does Howl's Moving Castle (which under the hood is entirely about love). One can argue for strong romance elements in Mononoke and Kiki as well.

On the other hand I don't see Porco as primarily a love story and the main reason I rate it highly is the wonderful semi-fictional world building Miyazaki did with his fantasy 1920s north Italy. I find the setting quite wonderful. The flight sequences are among the finest animation he has done as well IMHO.

Whisper has a strong romantic plot but for me the delight is in the struggles and growth of the lead character. Its one of Ghibli's few contemporary settings as well, people can be inspired by Shizuku's story and I know several who have been and there's value in the film for that.

Only Yesterday is a creature all on its own, out there with no rivals. Yes, the romantic story is key here but the green and environmental message is woven through it so skilfully and in scenes where nothing happens at all except a quirky and insecure young man talking that I think it's magical. The animation was drawn after the voice actors spoke their parts so the lip-synching and realistic faces make this feel quite different in a very good way. The music is also wonderful with lots of east European folk tunes. Add in the flashbacks to Taeko's childhood and that ending song you have one of Ghibli's most perfect films.

Laputa has that "fantasy meets an almost real world" mood as well, where steampunk collides with sci-fi in a Victorian world. More amazing flying sequences and more action and slapstick with less romance. I'd say this is a pure action movie with very little romance, though of course it is there, but as the two lead characters are about 12 years old the romance is necessarily limited.

There is something about Ocean Waves that completely draws me in. Its ordinaryness, its simple contemporary story, the artwork I find thoroughly engaging in such a simple way, the faces really are very basic but contain so much expression. The writers connected well I thought with the minds of teenagers and how socially inept they can be. How ugly messes can happen because people of this age group really are unable to connect and empathise. There's lessons here.

I agree with Theowne that one's list of Ghiblis can fall into a favourites group, a second tier group and an also-rans group and while movies tend to stay within their 'castes' their placings within those groups shift around. My list is the same.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 09.08.2014, 08:10 PM.

09.08.2014, 06:57 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks