QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Reading Source Materials for Ghibli Films.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Reading Source Materials for Ghibli Films. » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.27.15
  Reading Source Materials for Ghibli Films.Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Stephen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Howl's Moving Castle is considered something of a children's classic, but I found it a little random. The film improved on the book for me.

When Marnie Was There was by far the best book I have read to my daughter, so the film has a lot to live up to.

The translation of the Kiki novel looks really good, but I can't justify £30 for a second hand book that is out of print.

The English manga book for The Cat Returns was fun, with the pages reversed too be more "Japanese".

Any others worth looking up?

02.10.2016, 05:36 PM Stephen is offline   Profile for Stephen Add Stephen to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not sure I can speak for most of them, as I generally only know them all from the Ghibli films. Actually, there are several that I always forget are based on some other material. I'm a big fan of the Earthsea books though. The film mashes together characters and concepts from at least three of the books (with varying results) so they're quite different.

02.13.2016, 09:44 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Iblarder
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Iblarder Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki's 'Future Boy Conan' was based upon the 1970 book "The Incredible Tide" by Alexander Key.

There were two sequels to Howl's Moving Castle, "Castle in the Air" (1990) and "House of Many Ways" (2008 ). I do not believe that Castle in the Air influenced the HMC movie and there's no connection to 'Laputa: Castle in the Sky', the similar titles are a coincidence.

Would you like to listen to distant memories, feel the wind of an enchanting world, visit breath-taking landscapes, and meet the people of your wildest dreams? Then come visit the enchanting world of Iblard!

Post last edited by Iblarder on 04.05.2016, 05:46 PM.

04.05.2016, 05:45 PM Iblarder is offline   Profile for Iblarder Add Iblarder to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks