QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Complete Directorial Filmography of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Complete Directorial Filmography of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.05.16
  Complete Directorial Filmography of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao TakahataPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Iblarder Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Greetings, I apologize for a lengthy post as a 'new' member... but I'm not really new, I used to post here regularly, but my old account no longer exists.

I am piecing together from various sources the complete animation filmography of Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki as directors, including their pre-Studio Ghibli works.

I am focusing on "feature-length" animated films, which for the purpose of this list will begin at 40 minutes in length and increase from there.

So this will not include their work on television series/episodes, or short and medium-length films (for example, the two "Panda! Go, Panda!" films are around a half hour to 35 minutes each, and thus are not included in this list of 'feature-length' films).

That said, if anyone could review my two lists and let me know if they appear complete, that'd be awesome. This isn't just a Wikipedia copy-paste job, so I would like some help with reviewing them. I tried to dig a bit deeper for obscure films.

These two lists are any 40+ minute animated feature film that Takahata or Miyazaki served as either primary or assistant directors. I include notes about their role for each film.

Takahata:

For Isao Takahata, I count 13 feature-length films. This includes 2 early films for which he was an assistant director, 2 compilation films for which he supervised the editing of television show episodes into a feature film, and 1 anthology film for which he was one of thirty-five directors of short films. The remaining 8 films he was the primary director for.

-The Littlest Warrior / Anju to zushio-maru (1961) [assistant director]

-The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon / Wanpaku Ōji no Orochi Taiji (1963) [assistant director]

-Horus, Prince of The Sun / Taiyō no Ōji Horusu no Daibōken (1968) [primary director]

-3000 Leagues in Search of Mother / Haha o Tazunete Sanzenri (1980) [supervised the editing of multiple television episodes into a feature film, was primary director of the series]

-Chie the Brat / Jarinko Chie (1981) [primary director]

-Gauche the Cellist / Sero Hiki no Gōshu (1982) [primary director]

-Grave of the Fireflies / Hotaru no haka (1988) [primary director]

-Anne of Green Gables / Akage no An (1989) [supervised the editing of multiple television episodes into a feature film, was primary director of the series]

-Only Yesterday / Omoide Poro Poro (1991) [primary director]

-Pom Poko / Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko (1994) [primary director]

-My Neighbors the Yamadas / Hōhokekyo Tonari no Yamada-kun (1999) [primary director]

-Winter Days / Fuyu no Hi (2003) [one of 35 short film directors]

-The Tale of Princess Kaguya / Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (2013) [primary director]

Hayao Miyazaki:

For Hayao Miyazaki, I count 12 feature-length films. This includes 1 compilation film for which he supervised the editing of television show episodes into a feature film, and the remaining 10 films he was the primary director for.

-The Castle of Cagliostro / Rupan Sansei: Kariosutoro no Shiro (1979) [primary director]

-Conan the Future Boy: The Big Giant Robot's Resurrection / Mirai shônen Konan Tokubetsu-hen: Kyodaiki Giganto no Fukkatsu (1984) [supervised the editing of multiple television episodes into a feature film, was primary director of the series]

-Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind / Kaze no Tani no Naushika (1984) [primary director]

-Castle in the Sky / Tenkū no Shiro Rapyuta (1986) [primary director]

-My Neighbor Totoro / Tonari no Totoro (1988) [primary director]

-Kiki's Delivery Service / Majo no Takkyūbin (1989) [primary director]

-Porco Rosso / Kurenai no Buta (1992) [primary director]

-Princess Mononoke / Mononoke-hime (1997) [primary director]

-Spirited Away / Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (2001) [primary director]

-Howl's Moving Castle / Hauru no Ugoku Shiro (2004) [primary director]

-Ponyo / Gake no Ue no Ponyo (2008) [primary director]

-The Wind Rises / Kaze Tachinu (2013) [primary director]

Interestingly, for both Takahata and Miyazaki, a compilation film was created by editing together episodes of a show they directed, but as far as I can tell, unlike the '3000 Leagues' and 'Anne' movie for Takahata, and 'Conan' movie for Miyazaki, these films were not created with their supervision, so I did not count them...

Sherlock Hound / Meitantei Hōmuzu — a film version created from two of the six 'Sherlock Hound' episodes that were directed by Miyazaki (those episodes: 'The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle' and 'Treasure Under the Sea') was released alongside Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind in Japanese theaters in 1984 under the title "Meitantei Hōmuzu Gekijouban".

Whether Miyazaki was involved, I cannot ascertain. It may actually need inclusion pending further information about its creation.

Heidi, Girl of the Alps / Arupusu no Shōjo Haiji — the feature-length movie edit of the TV series, released in March 1979, was engineered completely by Zuiyo (which by then was a separate entity from Nippon Animation), with no additional involvement from Nippon Animation, Takahata, or Miyazaki.

Isao Takahata himself allegedly remarked: "Neither Hayao Miyazaki nor I are completely related to any shortening on this work." This one should definitely not be included, it would seem.

So, is this it? 13 films for Takahata (2 assistant director, 8 primary director, 1 compilation film, and 1 contribution to an anthology) and 12 films for Miyazaki (10 primary director, 1 compilation film)?
Please let me know if I have included any films in error, or if there are any films excluded. Please let me know if you have more information about the Sherlock Hound movie, and if Miyazaki approved/supervised in any capacity.

Thank you for your assistance with fact-checking my list!

Would you like to listen to distant memories, feel the wind of an enchanting world, visit breath-taking landscapes, and meet the people of your wildest dreams? Then come visit the enchanting world of Iblard!

04.05.2016, 05:59 PM Iblarder is offline   Profile for Iblarder Add Iblarder to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks