QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - grave of the fireflies question
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions grave of the fireflies question Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes she was! Had to go to wiki to make sure, and look what I have found:

quote:
Like the anime, the live-action version of Grave of the Fireflies focuses on two siblings struggling to survive the final days of the war in Kobe, Japan. Unlike the animated version, it tells the story from the point of view of their cousin (the aunt's daughter) and deals with the issue of how the war-time environment could change a kind lady into a hard-hearted woman.

The film is something of an epilogue; set in 2005, 60 years after the Second World War ended, it opens at a crematorium in Kobe, Japan, just after the aunt, Hisako Sawano, has died at the age of 95. The funeral director comments how a person who lived through the Meiji, Taishō, Shōwa and Heisei eras had finally gone to rest. After the funeral, Natsu (Seita's and Setsuko's cousin), who is now a grandmother herself, sorts through the aunt's belongings with her granddaughter, who unexpectedly finds the metal fruit-drop tin.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 03.13.2018, 06:34 PM.

03.13.2018, 06:30 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Makes you kinda wonder what was found in the tin...

03.13.2018, 07:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Originally posted by husky51
The point that I'm trying to make is that my farm country raised mother taught me how to take care of myself and my sister in an emergency... Did Seita have this training? I don't remember any, but it had been a long, long time since I have seem GotF...

Yes, we don't see much of their lives before the bombing, so we can't really know what he was taught or how he was raised. He was truly oblivious to what he had to do, being young and naive, and it's impossible for someone like me who haven't been through wartime to even imagine what it's like to be on his shoes. Even so I believe his choices had more to do with his personality. Maybe someone who was more passive would just endure their aunt until they could reunite with their father (I think Seita didn't know his father was dead until after they left his aunt's house). But who knows. I can't really judge. It's just too frustrating to see him doing all that when he didn't need to. He had a better option.

Well... I guess we all do.

03.14.2018, 12:04 AM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Grave of the Fireflies".

"Otaku-USA" magazine (April 2020 edition) has a 4-page article on this movie. Not very in-depth, but there it is...

It will be a few months, probably, but keep checking the magazine name and edition and I believe that the article will appear.

01.09.2020, 01:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

(oops ignore or delete this)

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 01.20.2020, 08:36 AM.

01.20.2020, 08:35 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks