QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Your Name (君の名は) Kimi no Na wa
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Your Name (君の名は) Kimi no Na wa Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  ]
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

sinkai (your name director) is obsessed with trains, he uses it in pretty much every anime. here:

quote:
When you first watch a Shinkai Makoto film, you might not realise just how much screen time is given to trains and train stations, both inside and out. But once you see it, you can’t un-see it. Makoto uses trains a lot in his films and it’s not because he’s a densha otaku. It’s because trains simultaneously symbolise separation and replicate a sense of the everyday that we are intimately familiar with.

Trains allow filmmakers to show separation of both time and space. When your loved one is on the opposite side of the country, the time it takes to reach them become unbearable. They highlight a sense of longing, waiting, and yearning. Time almost stands still on a long train journey. Boredom leads to wondering and dissatisfaction. Images hypnotically whizz past the window and suddenly you’re fantasising, fantasising about the object of your affection hopefully waiting at the end of your journey.

We see how trains make time torturous in “5 Centimetres per Second”. Young loves Akari and Takaki are separated by hundreds of miles. She’s writing him love letters on the train. We see him asleep in his winter uniform, a reminder that they’ve been apart since their love blossomed in spring. Seasons change. The only constant is that the two young loves are still separated.

Akari is telling Takaki that he wouldn’t recognise her if he saw her. That strikes a deep note. The lover’s anxiety that they will be forgotten. And, when you throw long distance at love, it’s not such an irrational fear. Like the cherry blossom falling at 5 centimetres per second, their love, just like the characters who feel it, is drifting further away bit by bit.

We already know it’s going to be a long journey when we see Takaki lay out all of the connecting trains he must take on his journey to Akari. But we soon discover that an already long and much-anticipated journey is about to become so long that time stands still.

Due to adverse weather, the train halts over and over again. With every halt, more time slips away. Each stop may only be 10 minutes in length but it increases and compounds the amount of time robbed from the two young loves. Like the falling snow, 5 centimetres per second may not seem like a lot when you’re close to the ground but what if the distance it could travel was indefinite?

The train fills Takaki’s whole world with light and noise and pain. It reminds us of the agonising sense of koi highlighted in Murakami’s short story, Concerning the Sound of a Train Whistle in the Night: ‘The pressure is so intense,’ says the young lover in the story, using words that could equally come from Takaki. ‘It makes my heart ache. I feel like I’m going to explode, to be torn in two – you know that feeling?’ The answer is yes, we do. We know exactly what it’s like when each minute feels like an eternity.

Trains are used in an equally powerful and symbolic way in “The Garden of Words”. Instead of symbolising time and distance, in this film, Makoto uses trains to evoke loneliness and contrast it with the love that blooms between Akizuki and Yukino.

In Japan, where even in the middle of Friday evening rush hour trains are deadly silent, the train is the perfect environment to observe this one truism: a crowd is the loneliest place to be.

You’re surrounded by all of these people who won’t meet your eyes and won’t talk to you and you can’t help but feel completely isolated, completely cut off from your fellow man.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

06.30.2018, 05:15 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I remember trains coming up a lot. A few months ago I went to an exhibition about his films, and they made a point of it there too. He likes to use the same images and metaphors in many of his films.

06.30.2018, 06:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have no solid info to support this view but I think trains and train travel probably has a certain meaning in Japanese art.

Think of Spirited Away where the train journey there has an obvious meaning.

My take is that trains are seen as a metaphor for progression or development of the character - 'moving onward' so to speak.

In the film 'Colourful' there is a long sequence about a city centre tramline that has been removed although the city corporation have left plaques and other mementos of its existence on a 'railway walk'. Two boys walk the old tramline and for the main character as well as the supporting character there develops a clear message about grasping opportunities when they arise and/or not letting life pass you by. Its a very significant scene in the story.

Shinkai used trains a lot in 'Place Promised' and there they were also a positive metaphor for bringing the three main characters together, allowing meetings and travel to see each other. The main plot is set in an abandoned railway station as well.

In 'Garden of Words' and 'Your Name' however they are turned into more negative metaphors where people do not communicate, even though their use connects the main characters together.

I think there could be a worthwhile study for a class in the use and meaning of trains in anime.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.30.2018, 07:17 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i agree with saddle, i think japanese people can't really do without trains specially in tokyo. So it is just a basic plot-device to all kind of anime. But i will also have to agree with makc that train seems to be a major theme in shinkai's work. But i am not really sure if it has any special meaning.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

06.30.2018, 10:20 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Historically, trains were a pretty significant development. Japan is long and thin with mountains all down the middle, so getting around is difficult, and having trains enabled the government to get news, etc around the country much faster. Now, they're totally ubiquitous, and since cars aren't as popular as they are in some countries, pretty much everyone uses trains. It's not surprising that they're commonly used as a metaphor.

06.30.2018, 10:40 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks