QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Your Name (君の名は) Kimi no Na wa
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Your Name (君の名は) Kimi no Na wa Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Your Name (君の名は) Kimi no Na waPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRfHcp2GjVI

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.14.2016, 04:06 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

some reviews from people who actually saw it in LA: http://myanimelist.net/anime/32281/Kimi_no_Na_wa

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

08.14.2016, 07:13 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

saw a screener today. well... who cares about those side characters? the story does just fine.

[spolier]what's up with happy endind? this is totally not what the author would do, you do expect the opposite up to very last minute. looks like producers made him to [/spoiler]

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.15.2016, 11:10 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think, while enjoying what Shinkai does best, he can be forgiven for having some characters that don't have the depth of Miyazakis; the things that he does do well, he does superbly, so his work is always satisfying to me, even though he does tend to rework the same concepts over and over (distance between lovers being his favourite theme, quite possibly due to personal experience).

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.19.2016, 09:20 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Oh look, the most important plot elements are already being turned into gifs:

[[edit by arren: I contacted makc a few days ago about this and still haven't got any response, so I've removed the image myself. I think most of us agree that it was unsuitable.]]

10.01.2016, 09:48 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not an appropriate post, IMO, makc

10.01.2016, 12:27 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

this is not fan art, the anime has about 5 scenes with the girl touching herself. if that's not appropriate for you, you better not watch it

Post last edited by makc on 10.01.2016, 12:37 PM.

10.01.2016, 12:34 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't think Husky is talking about his personal qualms, makc, more what's appropriate for this forum. We don't tend to post that kind of thing here.

My Anime List

10.01.2016, 02:03 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaz is right, makc, If the image was a still, I wouldn't mind it, but the animation puts it in a different category in this forum. Be aware that many young people watch this forum, as low as 10 and 11 yo old to my personal knowledge. That was the basis for my objection, thank you...

edit:
spelling

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.04.2016, 11:52 AM.

10.01.2016, 06:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

...and, is any action going to be taken here, either by the poster or an admin?

10.03.2016, 10:36 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ohhh! i was not paying attention, it is a Mokoto Shinkai production!!! totally missed it.

it's already number 1 everywhere.

wikipedia

quote:
was projected to become the first non-Ghibli non-series based anime movie to earn over 10 billion yen

he finally beat hosada. Let the fight begin man. ( people wondering what i am talking about can see this thread LINK )

non-series part is important, we already know that pokemon, doraemon etc etc are popular among kids. So they earn more money.

If i knew i would have watched the movie earlier, makc you should not have posted the gif. now i dont know.

It grossed 126millions, its certainly interesting otherwise people would not have watched it.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

10.08.2016, 04:05 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm wondering if I should go and see it while it's still in cinemas. Obviously I've heard it's good, but I'm not sure if I'll follow it well enough without subtitles.

10.08.2016, 09:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

His work faces criticism for being mostly visuals and less story/plot/subtle characters but apparently the story is excellent in this. If anything that may be a 'no' vote against watching without subtitles if the dialogue is subtle.

10.09.2016, 04:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i watched it

Quality wise there is way to much difference to compare with ghibli's

However the story is excellent.

about the ending i can say (press ctrl+a to see) Spoiler!, highlight to read.

at last a happy ending in mokoto shinkai movies. I was about to close my player when the movie seemed over. Then i thought what will matter if i watch till ending credit that is when i actually saw the real ending. i think i agree with makc on this maybe the producers made him do it and thats why it is a great success. You dont recommend a sad movie to others, right? The story is a mixture of 5 centimeters per second and children who seek lost voices. I think the aeteur theory might apply to shinkai after so many movies on recurring themes. I think lack of great senior stuff makes it hard for other studios to make masterpieces like ghibli rather than just a great movie. this movie had potential to be more than a romantic supernatural movie. Specially at the end it seemed rushed. Here Miyazaki or Takahata would have taken a really bold step. Like they did in Mononoke or Grave of the fireflies.

I dont know how it will be reviewed at international media, still nothing from top newspapers. They tried to break ties from anime characteristics but they could not like ghibli. Some scenes has a little resemblance from ghibli movies.

the makc's photo was not the plot at all. Recommended to all. It is slow so you need to be patient until the end.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.09.2016, 08:23 AM.

10.09.2016, 07:51 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

.wrong button

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.09.2016, 07:59 AM.

10.09.2016, 07:58 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

ok, I'm just curious, what 'bold step' did you see in Mononoke? personally, it was boring as hell and not resonated with me at all, like for example the wolf girl hardly even spoke the whole movie, what reason would I have to like her... maybe the forest creatures were cute, but not cute enough to save the movie. that was one of the least enjoyable stuff I saw so far not just from ghibli but whole anime genre. personally. so, what did I miss there?

10.11.2016, 09:20 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

I would say makc you missed a lot

Basically i think you looked the movie from a different perspective. It is not the story that is important here its the characters that makes it great.

As a matter of fact it is one of the greatest films ever made

however for you sake i am writing a short review, try to think the movie from the perspective of Ashitaka and Lady Eboshi. Or from the perspective of Jiko-bo and San. I think you will understand the narrative better.

you should think this movie more like a story that has been created to portray the characters rather than characters created to tell a story. Both are completely different styles of storytelling

The wikipedia page is great source of information.

However what i dont get is how can a film like Princess Mononoke can be Boring , i mean there is action and suspense in every other sequence

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.13.2016, 03:06 PM.

10.13.2016, 03:05 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

quote:
a story that has been created to portray the characters
ok, maybe, but this kind of stories are ... boring. to me. it's like a movie about famous person - ok, the person is cool, I get it, but why spend 2 hours to look at that person? if you want to portray the characters, paint a portrait. or snap a picture. or maybe take 5 minutes interview (equivalent of animated short, for dead or fiction characters). 2 hours of nothing but the character show-off is too much.

edit: ok, maybe the above statement is too black-and-white, it's just I was thinking about very particular type of stories when I wrote it. there are a bunch of movies where the story is pretty much random stuff happening one after another, but never the less I enjoyed it (e g totoro), and then there are these same stories that I could not even finish (yamadas - I just fell asleep). mononoke is somewhere in between, but much closer to 2nd kind.

Post last edited by makc on 10.13.2016, 05:52 PM.

10.13.2016, 04:09 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I have to agree with saviour about Princess Mononoke not being boring, IMO.

That being said, that is the nice thing about people...We all have different points of view and different likes and dislikes...

10.13.2016, 05:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Also, imagine they would never decapitate the deer, and following events did not happen. There is pretty much no meaningful message left in mononoke then, and it's still like 80% length of the whole movie.

P.S. sorry to hijack the thread, it was for your name, right.

10.13.2016, 05:59 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks