QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Your Name (君の名は) Kimi no Na wa
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Your Name (君の名は) Kimi no Na wa Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

English Newspapers are starting to write about Your Name

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/no...anime-your-name

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/11/mind-bending

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

11.21.2016, 02:43 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Shinkai doesn’t really draw, himself. Most of the animation is done by computer, though the technique still involves scanning hand-drawn images. “People who draw tend to think they’re craftsmen so they really want to hang onto their pens and papers, but it’s not terribly productive. To be honest with you, it’s faster and easier to start with the computer.”

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

11.21.2016, 12:36 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with him. Pencil and paper animation is a dying art. No-one who seriously wants to turn a profit is using that technique today.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.21.2016, 02:55 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I agree with him. Pencil and paper animation is a dying art. No-one who seriously wants to turn a profit is using that technique today.

Everyone agrees with him. But Ghibli is still using that technique.

However it is not cheap. The main problem here is the artistic thinking that we discussed earlier. Even shinkai himself addressed the matter.

Today the drawing of famous artists can be reproduced into any image. Truth to be told any person can draw good picture in computer given enough training. However in my opinion i dont watch a movie for the art only. I can get Great Video Games from all the publishers which have even better visual quality and detail than most of the movies.

I want to feel the feelings of a person about a particular thing, and artists can really bring that. You can give all that jaw dropping visual. But to give the chilling feeling in the opening scenes of nausicaa you need to understand what do you want to say.

I can not say Mokoto Shinkai is bad at that. I mean his train scene in the 5 centimeters per second made me think about a lot of things about my life. But i dont think that animation on Computer or Paper has any effect on it.

However to emphasize the digital medium had very bad effects. First of all computer is a unnatural medium. if you are already a graphics artist like mokoto then i guess with enough imaginative power you can get away ( remember shinkai is the only famous animator from graphics background so he is an exception). Unless you have a graphics tablet which has a screen ( which is very very expensive) you are really gonna have a hard time drawing in computer. Secondly if plenty of time is spent of visuals you are hardly going to have time to fix the subtle things. However these subtle things is what made animation so cool. View the old Disney movies or Ghibli Movies you will see that in the background a lot of things change. It is possible because rather than copy pasting each frame is drawn as a result in between artists can make these subtle changes to make the animation come to life.

Can same be done in computer of-course but you need to have eyes to see it. The way i see from my experience with artists from devianart and other people that most of them dont really see. When drawing they want to make it attractive, but sometimes greatness lies in simplicity. That is what digital art is lacking.

To prove my point how many times you have seen simple pictures drawn in digital art. I hardly seen any person who can deny the temptation of using the effects and filters available in digital drawing.

So although cost-effective in some way i dont think digital art is all that good. I think this situation will change when it becomes mainstream that even the most talented artist will use tablet-computer than pen-paper.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

11.21.2016, 03:50 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched this a few nights ago with my daughter on the big screen in Leicester and was very impressed. A big screen always helps but Shinkai's visuals shown 12 feet high and 30 wide makes them totally glorious.

he used a technique I've never seen before which was time lapse in anime and it was beautiful - and over his famous Tokyo skylines as well.

The film starts as a comedy and has a couple of cringy bits but works okay and is genuinely funny in places but you begin to wonder where its headed. Then there comes a complete switch of pace and direction, even genre as the comedy ends and much darker things surface.

It works extremely well. For me personally I did not like it as much as Place Promised or Garden of Words but it is a film that deserves to do well. There are a few places where the pacing is off and I was genuinely expecting an ending sooner - the story felt dragged out at the end when to me it should have ended on a certain note different to how it did.

My only other gripe was it was a dub using American voice actors. I need to get the DVD and listen to it in Japanese.

7.5/10.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.08.2016, 12:54 PM.

12.08.2016, 12:54 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh this movie is doing so well. Happy for Shinkai. I really quite enjoyed it - cinematic as ever ... not as much of the nostalgia as usual. Felt like he was experimenting a bit, but it worked out great.

12.09.2016, 01:18 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw it today. It's lucky for me that it's been so successful, or I wouldn't have got to see it in the cinema this late on! Anyway, I liked it very much. I haven't seen his last couple of films before this one, so some things have changed a little, but there was also a lot that I could recognise as Shinkai's style. I'm really not surprised it was such a hit.

01.17.2017, 11:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Some people are saying it was unfair that Your Name was excluded from oscar nomination.

Do you think it was oscar material?
[Just to be clear before any unnecessary argument breaks out, i dont mean oscar means great, but i mean that oscar winning films actually have some key properties(you can consider it as oscar judge's preference if you like)]

NB: Right now it is the highest grossing film of Japan( Domestic+ International)

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.26.2017, 01:16 AM.

01.25.2017, 02:34 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know if I'd say it's unfair. That sorta sounds to me like people are just annoyed their favourite didn't get picked. But with animated films, the Oscar nominees tend to just be whatever was popular. With that in mind, given that this was such a huge hit, I don't see why it should be overlooked.

01.26.2017, 12:26 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The Oscars are western-centric and specifically USA-centric so it is not surprising that western animated features should be nominated over any international film.

I also believe artistic merit is not really a strong feature in Oscar nominations.

We've seen in prior years with Princess Kaguya what the western Oscar panel thinks of art.

I wonder - how does the Japanese domestic film market in terms of ticket sales compare to the USA? How did Your Name compare vs whatever latest Pixar film made?

01.26.2017, 05:31 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A good point, Saddles...

01.26.2017, 06:39 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
I wonder - how does the Japanese domestic film market in terms of ticket sales compare to the USA? How did Your Name compare vs whatever latest Pixar film made?

Hmm.. you have raised a important point.

Its like this (from my reading sales figures of various films)
(The Currency is US Dolllar)

First we need to consider budget

Average Budget USA
1. 3D, CGI or Action - 150mil+
2. Drama, Slice of Life (Comedy) - 70-100mil+
3. Animation - 100 mil+

Average Budget Japan
1. 3D, CGI or Action - Wildly Varies
a)High Quality - 40-60 mil+
b)Low Quality - 10mil+
2. Drama, Slice of Life (Comedy) - 1-15mil
3. Animation - Wildly Varies
a)Big Studio- 30-100mil+
b)Small Studio - Under 30 mil, most of the time 10-15 mil.

Now the sales figure

1. 100mil+ Blockbuster Hit Japan
1. 250mil+ Blockbuster Hit USA
2. 30mil+ Superhit Japan
2. 150mil+ Superhit USA
3. 15mil+ Hit Japan
3. 100mil+ Hit USA
4. Anything Less than 15 mil in Japan is Flop
4. Anything Less than 80 mil in USA is Flop

Special Case Mega Hits like Star Wars, Avatar, Avengers etc. Even some animations like Minions, Frozen etc.

The above analogy is only correct if it follows the budget pattern

As you can see the cost of production is about same for Animation. This is the prime reason why Ghibli can not create content with domestic people in mind anymore. Lets see how much You name made internationally

Country Money-made Date of Record

Australia $771,945 12/26/16

China $83,556,388 1/22/17

France $1,278,918 1/22/17

Japan $205,558,810 1/22/17

New Zealand $101,768 1/1/17

South Korea $21,107,603 1/22/17

Thailand $1,222,693 12/4/16

United Kingdom $466,772 12/18/16

As you can see 100mils made in South Korea and China. We already know that these countries share similar ideas. So this is no surprise. The market of china is extremely large. If ghibli could enter it, it never will need to think about money anymore.

And you can also see english speaking regions made the least money. Which is even more interesting, cause the Wide release in USA in probably coming soon.

Oh i forgot to add cross reference to Pixar/Disney Films

Zootopia Worldwide 1Billion+ Japan 70mil+
Finding Dory Worldwide 1Billion+ Japan 65mil+
Rogue One:A Star Wars Story Worldwide 1Billion+ Japan 30mil+
Star Wars:The Force Awakens Worldwide 2Billion+ Japan 90mil+
Moana Worldwide 400mils+ Japan not-released
The BFG Worldwide 170mils+ Japan 4mil+

I added Blockbuster, Mega and Super Hit type of films. As you can see foreign animations movies or movies in general does better in Japanese Box office.

Source- Box-office mojo
NB: the values for type of film are knowledgeable guesstimate. I am very interested in box-office cause it gives a general idea what people likes to see.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.26.2017, 12:48 PM.

01.26.2017, 12:26 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, saviour...

If you put as much effort into your studies and work life as you do into your Ghibli Tavern research, your future is assured... lol

01.26.2017, 12:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
hahaha, saviour...

If you put as much effort into your studies and work life as you do into your Ghibli Tavern research, your future is assured... lol

It did not take much time to make it, 30 mins. Cause i always look at the box office figure when i watch a movie.

I try to do things with my full effort, except in places where i know my effort will be neglected.

Truth to be told after a lot of time someone raised a issue that genuinely interest me

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 01.26.2017, 12:54 PM.

01.26.2017, 12:52 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I am honestly very surprised at the low figures for Your Name in the 3 western nations listed. I had assumed anime had impacted general audiences more in the west but perhaps not; maybe only young audiences (young teens up to mid 20s?) are actually drawn to anime?

Your average British or American family of 30s-40s adults and a couple of pre-teen kids do not watch anime in theatres possibly?

I assume Your Name has not been released in the USA yet? That in itself is a telling fact.

01.26.2017, 01:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I haven't heard of it being released here as of yet...

And you'd be surprised how many older people (think 50 to 70) I see in the theater when I attend a Ghibli or other anime... It seems to me to be at least 50% or more and not all of them are bringing their grandkids either, just grandma and grandpa...

01.26.2017, 01:43 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I am honestly very surprised at the low figures for Your Name in the 3 western nations listed.

Oh don't worry, they have addressed this issue, in the same way they always do. JJ Abrams is doing live adaptation.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

10.21.2017, 06:10 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Finally got to see "Your Name" and it struck a major chord in my mind. It was hard to follow at first, but the further into the movie I went the more my interest was piqued. I watch the whole thing and liked it so much that later tonight or early tomorrow morning I am going to watch it again. Some of the music during the show was not subbed, but those bits and the closing music, especially the later, was rather enchanting!

The storyline reminded me of something that I've seen before but I forgotten which part gave me that feeling. I will remember when I watch it again... Looking forward to it again...

I was mesmerized throughout...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.17.2018, 09:55 PM.

06.17.2018, 09:53 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

of course it would be good, it didn't get to be all times №1 for no reason.

edit: then again, tales of earth-sea is №18 there, and I don't understand why would it be on that list at all 🤔

Post last edited by makc on 06.20.2018, 06:13 PM.

06.20.2018, 06:10 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Well, I watched it again and enjoyed it as much or more than the first time. I'm definitely buying my own DVD.

The memory that I couldn't place was the one in the train station that reminded me of the point in "Ocean Waves" where Taku and Rikako meet up again...

06.21.2018, 12:24 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks