QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - anime tourism
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » anime tourism » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  anime tourismPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just stumbled upon this twitter, apparently people visit the places depicted in animes, take pictures and stuff... wow, what an idea. Did anyone do this for ghibli movies?

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

04.23.2017, 05:30 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, it's a thing alright. Actually, the very house from My Neighbor Totoro is very close to where I live right now, so I'll definitely take a trip there before I leave.

I'm also planning to go to Shirakawa-go. I'd wanted to go there anyway because I'd heard of how beautiful it is, but I also recently found out it's where Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is set.

My Anime List

04.23.2017, 05:53 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

me: ha, never heard of it, let's see what's it about...
utube: This video was made to show the most heart felt moments of Higurashi, and really make you feel for the characters dilemmas and how they grow together.
me:

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 04.23.2017, 07:33 PM.

04.23.2017, 07:33 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I mentioned this in the arsenixc art thread. Whisper of the Heart tourism is very famous as its set in Tama New Town built in the 1960s and Ghibli fans even have a diary of visitors who leave comments.

Don't know which other Ghiblis have real settings though of course Pom Poko is also set in Tama, but when it was being built.

Up on Poppy Hill's sites possibly get anime tourists. Ive seen the real locations of anime such as Hibiki Euphonium, Colourful, Garden of Words and Eve no Jikan.

So yes, definitely a thing.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.23.2017, 07:55 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaz, you should definitely go to the Totoro house. It's a replica of the house from the movie, rather than the other way round, but the attention to detail is great.

And yeah, this kind of thing is really popular. Sometimes it's informal, people just posting about the real locations that certain anime series are based on, but in recent years, local tourism groups have jumped on board since seeing the effect it can have. There have also been a lot of shows set in relatively unknown towns lately, so I think studios are also seeing the potential of this.

04.23.2017, 10:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wonder if anime studios are getting together with town councils to agree deals? Product placement in return for sponsorship has been a thing for years, so why not location placement?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.24.2017, 12:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

Don't know which other Ghiblis have real settings though of course Pom Poko is also set in Tama, but when it was being built.

So yes, definitely a thing.

I've heard about a number of the railroad stations in Japan being recognized as well.

04.24.2017, 02:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ocean Waves is set in the city of Kochi. That was about the only exciting thing about that movie and the Shikoku-ben/Tosa-ben. So that's cool to know for when I visit there.

I know plenty of people go to Jiufen in Taiwan because of Spirited Away.

04.24.2017, 05:22 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Deals are indeed made. When I was writing my dissertation this came up, so I have a couple of articles about stuff from a few year ago. You need to be able to sign in with something to read them I think, but here they are anyway:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1...803.2014.962567

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1...803.2014.962565

04.27.2017, 01:20 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The second article needs a login but the first one I was able to read via a downloadable pdf. Very interesting stuff.

04.27.2017, 09:41 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ok, you know this one:

08.31.2017, 01:14 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Man, i wish that I could say that I did!!! they are all (except the skyscrapers ) familiar, especially the RR crossings at the end, but I just can't being the name out.

Of course, once I read it, I'll go, "Of course, how obvious!)

08.31.2017, 04:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

it's 5 cm/sec

edit: here's wallpaper sized railroad thing

Post last edited by makc on 08.31.2017, 05:08 PM.

08.31.2017, 05:06 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Shinkai does amazing things with colour. He's got an incredible eye.

08.31.2017, 07:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Of course, makc, I knew it all along. cough, cough, ahem, (looks around), cough...

5cm per second... watched it 2 or 3 times, but not for a couple of years now... Still, the RR crossing scenes are, IMO, particularily memorable...

08.31.2017, 07:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I don't remember if I ever said, but some locations from Grave of the Fireflies are very near where I live. Actually I looked it up once and found that there were places I'd already been to without knowing. I haven't seen the film in a while, but if I watch it again I'll see if I can recognise places I know.

Haruhi Suzumiya is also set where I live. I've been (very slowly) reading the books, and it was kind of strange to read the description of a place and think "wait... is this that park?" Maybe one day I should go around some of those spots.

01.08.2018, 05:17 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

What town is Haruhi set in? I have always wanted to know.

01.08.2018, 12:19 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Nishinomiya, between Osaka and Kobe.

01.09.2018, 12:50 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks