QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What does everyone think about a Ghibli Tavern Discord?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Site Related » Suggestions & Bug Reports » What does everyone think about a Ghibli Tavern Discord? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: Should we have a Ghibli Tavern Discord?
Yes
No
Results
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  What does everyone think about a Ghibli Tavern Discord?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So I've recently downloaded Discord, and it's an awful lot of fun chatting with communities that I'm a part of, and it got me thinking... what would you guys think about making a Ghibli Tavern discord? It might be kind of pointless, considering we basically just talk to each other on here, but maybe it'd be better for more realtime communication with each other? What's everyone's thoughts on this?

07.18.2017, 02:51 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It might be good for people who are less inclined to make posts but still want to talk at times. I've never used Discord though, so I guess I'm unsure.

07.19.2017, 09:18 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been a member of a chat room or two and I was having fun at first, but then I felt the pressure to go into the room everyday just so i could do my part, so to speak, and I just kinda got tired of it... In the rooms, if you even looked in to see who was there, then anyone else that was there would know immediately and many tried to just start talking and I didn't really want too, but felt that if i didn't say anything then I'd be considdered rude... I still have two or three people that keep wanting me to 'friend' them and start talking again.

Me?, I like the way it is in here, I don't feel the pressure that I HAVE to talk to someone or say something. If I don't want to say anything (hush now) then I'm OK with that.

For my, I would have to say no, I'm happy where I am...

07.20.2017, 03:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It'd probably be very quiet, but I like the idea. ^^

My Anime List

08.16.2017, 04:13 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was just thinking about this today, and I did think somebody had brought it up, but it blows my mind that this was actually TWO YEARS ago.

Anyway, at the moment I'm kinda thinking that a Ghibli Tavern Discord server would be a good idea. I've sometimes thought that if we have one, it might cause the forum itself to become even less active, but honestly, if it keeps the community existing, then so be it. I'm sure not everybody would use it, and there are things that you can do on a forum but not on Discord, so I wouldn't want to replace the actual forum, but I think it could help keep people in contact. I suppose it would be a bit like the Facebook group, or at least how that was meant to work to begin with.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'd be willing to get started quite soon if people are on board.

11.09.2019, 01:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From your wording, I am assuming that Discord is a communicating forum, for lack of a better description, that would be open to discuss and comment on just about any topic.

It seems that is what we did here in the Tavern a few years ago. We discussed and even disagreed an a number of subjects and that was interesting, in part because of the different ages, nationalities and cultures. A few feathers were ruffled at times, but we generally survived that and after a bit of cool-down, we got along again... At least that is the way that I saw it...

Is Discord a form of 'chat room'? When I was first online in the very early 2000's, I belonged to one we called "ZZYZX"... Why, I don't know... It surprised the heck out of me to drive past an offramp on a freeway in California that led to a community named "ZZYZX"... lol a small scientific village, space, town??? if I remember correctly...

Anyway, come what may, give it a shot and we'll see where it goes...

Regardless, I would like to see the Tavern continue on, always hoping for more Ghibli movies...

11.09.2019, 03:17 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

to my understanding we have become kind of very small group.

Arren, me, Kaz and Husky is all that left. Other people are so infrequent now that they can be considered to be gone.

So Discord would not mean that we will get more members.

I think we can do a group call or group chat everyweek or everymonth.

Otherwise the Hightlights of your day and Random thread is good enough to keep us updated. I dont want to check another place every once in a while.

thats my two cents

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

11.09.2019, 05:06 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

@husky: Yeah, it is like a chat room. The owner can make as many channels (basically like threads in a forum) as they like, and you can talk in there. You have to download the client, but an advantage is that you can get it on different devices. It makes it very convenient.

@saviour: I see what you mean, but I suppose I feel it couldn't hurt. As it is, there are very few active members, but other people lurk a bit and post sometimes. If we were using something more convenient like Discord, lurkers might be more interested in getting involved regularly.

I think it might also be easier to persuade others to join in if it's a convenient format. Getting new members to join or stick around on a forum is hard, because forums just aren't popular anymore.

Even if it doesn't grow at all, it would at least make it easier to stay in contact.

11.10.2019, 12:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by arren18

Even if it doesn't grow at all, it would at least make it easier to stay in contact.

Even with the Ghibli f/b page???

11.10.2019, 12:25 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren i dont mind the idea, i will join if you create one.

Lets see what happens

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

11.10.2019, 11:56 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
quote:
Originally posted by arren18

Even with the Ghibli f/b page???

I don't think I understand this question... What do you mean?

11.10.2019, 11:09 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I was thinking that it would be just as easy to keep in contact through the Ghibli Facebook forum, wouldn't it?

Or maybe it would be easier to talk through the discord site? I just don't know too much about it...

11.12.2019, 04:16 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Oh, I see. Well, for me at least, the Facebook page isn't so good for that nowadays, since there are so many members that aren't actually connected to the forum at all. It's also not a great format for having conversations.

11.13.2019, 08:11 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

And that is all true...

11.13.2019, 09:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Just an update on this, I am actually starting a Discord server, but I've ended up being so busy the last few weeks and haven't had a chance to get it ready. I'll let you know when it's good to go.

12.02.2019, 08:40 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Copy that...

12.02.2019, 04:50 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Okay, I've done it!

If you want to join, follow this link: https://discord.gg/rsqU3Gs This invitation is limited to a small number of people, since I'm still figuring this out, but I'll do a less restricted one some time later.

12.06.2019, 10:21 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks