QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - My Neighbors the Yamadas
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » My Neighbors the Yamadas » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  My Neighbors the YamadasPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This afternoon, I'm going to watch "My Neighbors the Yamadas"... Looking forward to it...

09.23.2017, 11:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

one of two ghibli things that I fell asleep while trying to watch. The other being panda. Absolute worst of ghibli stuff )

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

09.23.2017, 07:51 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Two things that I have noticed this time around...
One, The fantasy view of Nonoko's birth was directly from the legend of Kaguya which I had never heard of before Ghibli's Movie by that title...

Second, Watching it again and re-watching portions of it over again I came to realize that a lot of this movie is directed at married adults. I understood a lot more of the scenerios by looking at it from the viewpoint of an older married adult with children. You have to have experienced it in RL to really understand or 'get' the meaning or idea of the 'skits...
For example: The loss of Nonoko! The concern for her, the worries, albeit comically portrayed, of the parents, brought to me the memory of the time when my (then) 8-yo son didn't arrive home from school when he was aupposed to. His school was about 4 miles from home and he rose a bus to and from the school. The personal concerns, worries and fears felt by my (then) wife and I and his brother and sister mirrored closely the emotions shown in that particular skit...
This was true of many of the scenerios... IMO
I think a young person without these experiences might not get the deeper feelings or meanings behind them... again my opinion...

09.25.2017, 04:54 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Two things that I have noticed this time around...
One, The fantasy view of Nonoko's birth was directly from the legend of Kaguya which I had never heard of before Ghibli's Movie by that title...

Second, Watching it again and re-watching portions of it over again I came to realize that a lot of this movie is directed at married adults. I understood a lot more of the scenerios by looking at it from the viewpoint of an older married adult with children. You have to have experienced it in RL to really understand or 'get' the meaning or idea of the 'skits...
For example: The loss of Nonoko! The concern for her, the worries, albeit comically portrayed, of the parents, brought to me the memory of the time when my (then) 8-yo son didn't arrive home from school when he was aupposed to. His school was about 4 miles from home and he rose a bus to and from the school. The personal concerns, worries and fears felt by my (then) wife and I and his brother and sister mirrored closely the emotions shown in that particular skit...
This was true of many of the scenerios... IMO
I think a young person without these experiences might not get the deeper feelings or meanings behind them... again my opinion...
In the past I merely watched this movie for the humor that I saw in it, this time I saw and felt the feelings of the characters...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.25.2017, 05:00 AM.

09.25.2017, 04:57 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I think a young person without these experiences might not get the deeper feelings or meanings behind them...

Just because some movie covers adult subjects does not make it good movie, unfortunately.

quote:
again my opinion...

This goes without saying. Literally. If I write 'this movie sucks' it means 'this movie sucks in my opinion'. You can't expect people to add that every single time, can you. There will be people, of course, who will say things like 'speak for yourself', but - guess what - I always speak for myself.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 09.25.2017, 08:30 PM.

09.25.2017, 08:30 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
4minute
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by 4minute Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Was it an interesting anime? never saw it

05.10.2018, 07:34 AM 4minute is offline   Profile for 4minute Add 4minute to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

The drawings are more 'cartoony' that most other Ghibli films, but still good in my opinion..

Basically seemed to be a line drawing sort of thing with water color paint for coloration.

05.10.2018, 04:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
This afternoon, I'm going to watch "My Neighbors the Yamadas"... Looking forward to it...

How did it go? Did you love it?

07.30.2018, 10:03 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks