QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Miyazaki's new film "for his grandson"
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Miyazaki's new film "for his grandson" Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Miyazaki's new film "for his grandson"Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

https://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/10/19/h...r-his-grandson/

Previously I've seen a few mentions about the new film that state it will definitely be the caterpillar thing that got talked about a while ago, but I never saw a clear source. This isn't actually saying that either, but it does suggest that his new work is likely to be aimed at children.

It also suggests that this time he really means to make it his last. Of course, you never really know.

10.19.2017, 10:00 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is to be hoped... a new Ghibli by the master himself...

10.19.2017, 11:13 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Now that Your Name has become such a great hit. it is quite interesting if it will have some effect. In my opinion it is quite possible that studio ghibli might not be a big thing now anyway.

And that article says that miyazaki was never a familiy person. To me its confusing that he said something like that.

For me i think it will be an irony if it is not considered something cool by the grandson himself. I have seen many examples where the gesture of someone is often downplayed by the person who it was intended.

I would have been more interested if it was another samurai as he was starting to draw. I dont think he has the mental ability nowadays to deliver something soft and pure for the kids. Ponyo was not in my opinion upto his mark. Although the caterpiller is kind of cool premise to work. I dont think it is possible as all the people in the studio left.

Still who knows maybe something awesome will happen, but i wont hope for it

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.20.2017, 10:11 AM.

10.20.2017, 10:09 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
For me i think it will be an irony if it is not considered something cool by the grandson himself. I have seen many examples where the gesture of someone is often downplayed by the person who it was intended.

Something like the part of 'Kiki" that I mentioned in another thread recently where Grandma bakes her annual Herring and Pumpkin Pie for her granddaughter's birthday that Kiki helps with and finally delivers, to the verbal chagrin of the granddaughter.

10.20.2017, 01:15 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I have seen many examples where the gesture of someone is often downplayed by the person who it was intended.

I have seen many, too. However, I'd say in overwhelming % of cases they had it coming. The most prominent case would perhaps be birthday presents. All that people ever give are things they want for themselves. They never* bother to stop and think what the recipient would want.

*all the usual legal language applies, by never we mean less often than not.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 10.21.2017, 06:06 AM.

10.21.2017, 05:30 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I'd say in overwhelming % of cases they had it coming

In my opinion thats why its called a gesture rather than gift. I will send a gift to someone something that i think that person will like. On the other hand gesture is i do something that i like that i think the other person will like and try to understand. In fact husky's comment plays greatly. The granma knows(in my opinion) that young girls are not into pies. But she sent it to show that she made her something that she was skillful. She(the birthday girl) does not need to like it but she must or should feel the effort. That is what gesture means in my humble opinion.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.21.2017, 10:20 AM.

10.21.2017, 10:19 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

this is kind of up-side down, under your pov the act of acceptance is the real gift.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

10.21.2017, 11:37 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

The only example that I can give for myself is that when a grandchilds birthday or Christmas is approaching, I try to find out what that child is 'in to" from their mother or observation. Example was the latest b-day... Mommy said the X was "in to" unicorns so I was able to find a nice necklace and another small gift with a unicorn saying on it.

10.22.2017, 02:09 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

now imagine if 3 other grandparents do that, the kid ends up with 4 unicorns )

ah, but I mean, of course, cases where even less thought is given. like, let's give them this nice painting that I liked. or this nice nerf gun that I would love to have myself on my birthday, but since that never happened I will make it happen for someone else. things like that.

10.22.2017, 03:49 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I understand what you're saying, makc

While I try to get some input on what the child wants, I usually just think about what the kid may want by his/her age, a young child would probably like something colorful/flashy and maybe even noisy (that part is usually aimed at the parents, lol)

In the past, I have usually just sent a visa gift card and let the child get what he/she wants with their parents helping.. The biggest reason for that is the expense of the gift giving on my budget. They live so far apart from me that this is costly to buy a gift and then have to mail it to them. And of course I try to be fair in my giving. I saw in my own kids the favoritism given to one child over another by their grandparents and I called them on it... "Oh no, we're not doing that, it just happens that one gift is costly and one is much much cheaper" Once in awhile I can see this happening, but not consistently over the years. And it wasn't just in the gifts, but the treatment...example: one child being taken on a mountain camping/hiking trip and the others, when they were the same age, simply ignored...

The child may not be aware of it, but it hurts the parent to see this. For that reason, I have tried as much as possible to treat ALL of my grandkids, and 2 nieces and nephew, as equally as it is in my power to do so, male or female. Unfortunately, I have not been able to do this with my Saudi grandchildren as I have wished, mainly by a misunderstanding of their cultural and religious mores over there. Also, a lack of a mailing address to send to. I still have given my love to them and they have returned it as much as has been possible. I once sent a 5-pound box of a candy that means something to them and I from our two chances of physical visiting with one another. That 5-pound box cost over $50 USD to send... This is an example of the tremendous cost of shipping to there, when I even had a postal address that I could address them to.

It does hurt that I cannot give to them as I have been able to give to my other grandchildren...

The age of 18 is when I give my last present to them all, as I did with my own children. I do send a card and my love, but as they get closer to 18, they are aware of this. I tell my children to not buy me anything in the nature of a gift and they usually comply. I figure that they have enough to deal with giving to their own kids and I know of their love and affection (I am so blessed, OK, my eyes are watering, time to stop).

Anyway, those are my sentiments.... Damn 'soggy eyeballs' (my kids nickname for their dad's tendency)...

10.22.2017, 01:52 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

And, it's not going to be a caterpillar:

:/

10.29.2017, 04:42 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm pleased. A full length "Boro" would not have interested me at all (I have never watched "Ponyo" ) but a film based on a piece of 1930s classic literature sounds much more intriguing, especially given the period in which it was written.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 10.30.2017, 08:02 PM.

10.30.2017, 10:50 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
River Spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.24.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by River Spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm actually happy it'll be something of more substance than the caterpillar. While Boro may have worked as a short, I was worried a full movie on it would lack the traditional Miyazaki epic scale.

I'm curious how the movie will turn out. It looks like it'll be similar to The Wind Rises in tone.

10.30.2017, 05:26 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm very pleased to hear this.

I didn't really think it would be Boro the Caterpillar. So much time had passed since that was hinted, and if that was the plan I don't see why he wouldn't say more about it sooner. So I figured it would be something else, though I didn't particularly expect it would be another realistic film. Anyway, I think this sounds good.

10.30.2017, 09:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

lets see what happens, i thought that Boro will be awkward for him, but to make something similar to Wind Rises, hmm in my opinion that is not going to be very different. The Wind Rises has already all the message he wanted to give. i dont see anything he can add more. And japanese people live a long life, so him being dead although definitely possible but not a certainty.

and @makc thanks for sharing the info, you have been adding great content to the site

10.31.2017, 10:08 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

quote:
you have been adding great content to the site

there is only so much I can do unless you help. if only you would do this instead of getting angry at me now and then.

11.02.2017, 06:51 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There is a reason people get angry at you. You can help yourself by changing how you behave.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.03.2017, 10:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

You are quite right, there is a reason, but that reason is within you

In the Akkosa Sutta, a man named Akkosa found out that one of his clansmen had just become a disciple of the Buddha. Outraged, Akkosa went to the Buddha to give the Buddha a piece of his mind – he hurled abuse and insults at the Buddha, telling the Buddha what he thought of him in no uncertain terms.

The Buddha was unmoved in the slightest by this barrage of insults and just asked a question in return:

“Do you sometimes receive visitors as guests?”

“Yes I do” replied Akkosa.

“And when they come, do you offer them food and drink and courtesies?” asked the Buddha.

“Yes, sometimes I do” Akkosa said.

“So what if your guests don’t accept what you offer to them – where do the food, drink and courtesies return to?”

“They return to me of course!” Akkosa answered.

“Akkosa, you came here today, hurling insults and abuse at me. I do not accept what you have offered. So where do these insults and abuse return?”

The point of this story here is, be more like Buddah. Suck it up and post more cool stuff.

11.03.2017, 02:05 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Come on kids, settle down. If you can't stop derailing threads by arguing then I'll have to remove posts so we can get back on track.

Any other opinions regarding Miyazaki's new film? How long do you think it'll actually take before it's completed?

11.04.2017, 05:49 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

The last I heard, wasn't it sometime in 2018?

=================

The good thing about the Tavern was that in the past, even if we had disagreements, we always seemed to be able to work them out and still remain friends. This was onr of the things that I liked about this forum besides our mutual love of Ghibli...
nuff' said...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.04.2017, 08:45 PM.

11.04.2017, 08:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks