QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Oyasumi Punpun manga
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Oyasumi Punpun manga Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Oyasumi Punpun mangaPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone else read this?

Its blowing my mind. its so... strange.

Its a commentary on modern urban life I suppose but its done in a very... odd... way. Very touching though, very sensitive.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.14.2017, 12:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't read it but I've heard good things, even though I don't really know what it's about. Maybe I'll give it a shot one day.

12.15.2017, 10:26 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

One of my friends loves this manga. I'm intrigued, I must say.

My Anime List

12.15.2017, 08:02 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know much about it but the main character starts aged about 8 and I have seen pics of him as an adult, so its a full slice of life story.

Its drawn photo-realistically except for the title character who never speaks except via 3rd person narration and who is a cartoon chicken.

Yeah, I know. But it really is wonderful.

And in the adult world some really REALLY bizarre crazy stuff goes down but Punpun just tries to live his life and make his way through all the madness like abusive fathers and nerdy uncles and teachers whose jokes seem terribly threatening to the kids.

I have no idea how it'll end but it could well be an example of how dysfunctional people are made.

I'm really enjoying it, so funny in places:-

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.15.2017, 08:33 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everyone... you have GOT to read this, its fantastic. I can't... Words can't describe...

Just read it.

If anyone does, let me know, would love to discuss it with someone.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.19.2017, 09:47 PM.

12.19.2017, 09:47 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw volumes of the manga very cheap at a used bookshop the other day. It was only later volumes though, so of course I didn't get it. I'll try to remember though, and I'll look out for it in the future.

Is it particularly abstract, wordy or otherwise hard to understand? If so then maybe I'd rather read it in English after all.

01.08.2018, 05:11 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No its very down-to-earth with not very much text except for a sub-plot involving a religious cult whose leader goes off on long soliloquies - I confess I stopped reading his sections after a while, even in English!

I also should say that I've stopped reading it now. I got to about chapter 135 out of 147 and it was so dark and depressing that I gave up.

The story is wonderful up until a certain woman is murdered (you'll know who I mean), mother of one of the main characters. After that it all spirals steeply downhill in my view, both in terms of realism and darkness.

01.08.2018, 12:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

I don't think I realised it was still ongoing actually. Well, maybe I'll give it a go one day.

01.09.2018, 12:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No it is complete, it was finished in 2014. I just couldn't read it beyond where I gave up, for me it wasn't entertainment any more.

01.09.2018, 09:32 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
4minute
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by 4minute Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've read. But years ago

05.11.2018, 05:22 AM 4minute is offline   Profile for 4minute Add 4minute to your buddy list
ClaireCornish
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.29.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ClaireCornish Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Best manga i ever read! Berserk and pun-pun!!

Post last edited by ClaireCornish on 07.30.2021, 12:38 PM.

07.29.2021, 11:57 AM ClaireCornish is offline   Profile for ClaireCornish Add ClaireCornish to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, ClaireCornish... Hope that you enjoy it here

=========================

Saddles, good to see you...

I'll have to try and find this manga, is that the title in the English version? Oyasumi Punpun

07.29.2021, 12:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
KaliAce
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by KaliAce Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds interesting, I will check it out

08.17.2021, 09:48 AM KaliAce is offline   Profile for KaliAce Add KaliAce to your buddy list
toriforiumu
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.23.23
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by toriforiumu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've read the manga! It's pretty disturbing... but the plot is very tragic, its sorta weird but I loved the art style !

Post last edited by toriforiumu on 05.30.2023, 02:42 PM.

05.30.2023, 02:41 PM toriforiumu is offline   Profile for toriforiumu Add toriforiumu to your buddy list AIM Screenname: miu YIM Screenname: miu
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks