QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » WHAT'S YOUR OPINION? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
amessharris0n
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 01.26.18
WHAT'S YOUR OPINION?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by amessharris0n Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello, I'm doing a study into online fandoms at University and I'm focussing on Studio Ghibli as my fanbase of choice. I've been a huge fan of these films, as well as anime as a whole, for a couple of years now and would love some of your insight into how you got into this group of fans? What was your first experience with the franchise? And how you have interacted with the films and other fans?

Thank you for your time. Can't wait to hear your responses and opinions!

01.26.2018, 05:29 AM amessharris0n is offline   Profile for amessharris0n Add amessharris0n to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
how you got into this... What was your first experience with the franchise
I have found totoro among a bunch of movies I copied from friend's hdd. I think that was like 3rd anime I ever watched, back when I was a kid I saw ghost in the shell and memories, both were completely lost on me. So, totoro restarted my interest in the whole anime thing.
quote:
how you have interacted with the films
I watched them... was there anything else I should have done?
quote:
and other fans?
total failure. I do not remember a single discussion that was not superficial.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

01.26.2018, 09:49 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first film I saw was Howl's Moving Castle, my mother bought it as a present for my dad and we loved it so much we ended up buying more and more of Ghibli's works. My dad and I have watched nearly all of them now. It started my interest in anime and from there Japanese language, which I now study at university.

Can you go into more detail about what you mean by interacting with the films?

As for fans, well, I joined this forum over 10 years ago and I'm still here, so I think that says something! I've enjoyed discussing the films with others here and on places like Reddit too.

My Anime List

01.26.2018, 12:48 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
amessharris0n
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by amessharris0n Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for responding!

Sorry, that's my bad for not making it clear enough. What I mean by how do you interact with the films, I also mean the Studio Ghibli franchise itself.

Would you class yourself as a fan who only enjoys watching these films in cinema and on DVD, without being a collector? Or do you enjoy collecting merchandise and attending conventions? Have you created any art or stories in relation to Studio Ghibli films?

Post last edited by amessharris0n on 01.26.2018, 01:10 PM.

01.26.2018, 01:09 PM amessharris0n is offline   Profile for amessharris0n Add amessharris0n to your buddy list
River Spirit
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.24.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by River Spirit Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first Ghibli film I watched was Totoro. It was probably 17 or so years ago. It was the original English dub from the early '90s and we found it at the library on VHS. It became an instant favorite and the next one I saw was Spirited Away. I actually saw that one in the theaters. By that point there was no turning back and I was a Ghibli fan for life.

Today I've seen every Miyazaki film and almost every Ghibli film at least once. They are in a league of their own and no other set of films can evoke the feelings they can.

I prefer to collect the films on DVD to rewatch when I please. I haven't been to any conventions. My ultimate dream would be to visit the Ghibli museum in Japan but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Interactions with other fans have mostly been limited to this site or other online forums. Of all the people I've talked to about Ghibli, only a small handful had ever heard of it before.

And good luck on your assignment! I hope you stick around here. New members are always welcome.

Post last edited by River Spirit on 01.26.2018, 01:23 PM.

01.26.2018, 01:19 PM River Spirit is offline   Profile for River Spirit Add River Spirit to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, as for interactions... I suppose yes, I don't do a lot more than watching. I pick up bits and pieces of merchandise; I have an art book, a t-shirt, some stationery I got in a Ghibli shop Japan, but I'm not an avid collector.

Now I think of it, it's surprising that I've never done any fanfiction or art of Ghibli films. I used to do that sort of thing a lot for various anime I was into.

My Anime List

01.26.2018, 01:50 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It wasn't a Ghibli, but the very first anime type film (altho it actually was Western made, I believe) I ever wathed was "Alakazam the Great", based I believe on a Chinese fable. This was from the backseat of my parents car in 1960 and I loved it...

I unknowingly saw my first Ghibli's on TV watching them with my kids and knowing nothing about Ghibli at that time. There were two or three of them seen before I caught on to the Ghibli Studio connection between them. I then started looking for more Ghibli's and I can not say with surety which was first or in what order. I eventually found the Tavern and hung around for a while, just seeing what was going on and after awhile became a member almost ten years ago. With my age, I was looked at with askance at first, but the other members quickly realized my liking of Ghibli... BTW, I am now 71 and love my Ghibli's as much as ever. I prefer watching them in subtitles, having spent some time in Japan before my Ghibli discovery. I recently saw "Howl's" in the big theater as well as "Spirited Away" and a couple of others.c

As far as interacting with Ghibli, I have bought and seen all of the ghibli movies and a few other Films by them. This led me into watching other anime like "Paprika", "GitS", and dozens of other anime. I have about a dozen of the Ghibli books like Miyazaki's "Starting Point" and "Turning Point". I even have a Totoro and a Kodama tattoo on my arms and a Sumomo from the "Chobits" series, tattoo and doll.I have a few Totoro shirts and between them and my tattoo's, I've had people comment on them and we'd start talking about them and I'd mention the Tavern, id they were interested. The people that have noticed ranged in age from abt 7 up to 40's and 50's at least, maybe more. It is fun to go into a Ghibli movie showing and see other "old fogies" (lol) besides my self in there without any of the grandkids, lol... Believe me, there are quite a few of us...

As well as the Ghibli's, I have over 100 anime movies and series DVD's and about 80 manga. I have donated about the same amount to my local library that were duplicates or ones I wasn't all that interested in keeping...

01.26.2018, 09:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My first experience was watching Spirited Away after having it recommended by a friend when I was pretty young, maybe like 12. After that I got into others, and ended up on here after hearing that they were adapting the Earthsea novels and wanting to seek out more information. Although that particular film was kind of disappointing, I stayed here all this time!

I'm interested in collecting other merchandise, but I don't have an awful lot. What's available tends to be limited to books and other small things, which can be a bit expensive. I like to collect other anime merchandise, but I get the sense that Studio Ghibli doesn't inspire quite the same sort of fandom as other anime.

As well as here, I have quite a few friends who are into Ghibli. Other than that, a lot of people at least know Totoro and Spirited Away, but it's not something I spend a lot of time talking about apart from here.

01.27.2018, 05:25 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It amazes me just how many people comment on my tattoos or shirts and it can happen anywhere!
I was working a security job on a hilltop in the San Diego area and this girl and her parents had come up and were talking to me and the little girl squealed, "Totoro"! and we all talked abt Ghibli. I go into any kind of business and someone might comment on them. One day I went to the local Veterans hospital ER and the receiving nurse started talking abt them; Then the guy attaching patches to my chest started in about them and then the Doctor was telling me what a fan she was!!! Different local fast food places I might go to. I was in a MacDonald's sitting and reading while having a burger and fries and this young woman (late teens, early 20;s) leaving on her way home stopped at my table and asked if she could take a photo of my tattoos. I said sure and we ended up speaking for a few minutes...

When this happens, I try to tell them about the Tavern.

01.27.2018, 06:20 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Porco Rosso was the first Ghibli film I watched I suppose around 1999 and I picked up the DVD at random in a shop after seeing WWI style planes on the cover (big military history nut). I had encountered anime already via the Animatrix collection and was looking for more anime. I'd heard that both Akira and Ghost in the Shell were films that had inspired the Wachowski brothers when they wrote The Matrix and it was while browsing for these DVDs in a shop that I picked up Porco.

I was completely engrossed and enthralled by Porco due to its nods towards historical accuracy (the portrayal of tensions in a 1920s proto-fascist Italy) as well as the beautifully filmed and directed aircraft scenes and I knew at once that I had discovered an animated film studip that was special. I have since collected all their films on DVD, except two which I either didn't like in the cinema or don't appeal to me (Earthsea and Ponyo).

I have a few small items of Ghibli related merchandise given to me by friends but considering the gaps in my DVD collection I would not say I was an avid collector.

I have written two novel length fan fictions, two short stories and then a group of about six linked shorts inspired by two Ghibli films: Whisper of the Heart and Castle in the Sky. I planned but never started a novel based on Totoro that had the title "Return to Matsugo" but set about half a century after the film. I don't write fanfics any more.

I met two other Ghibli fans through the fanfic community and while my friendship with them got quite intense including supporting and critiquing them in their own writing projects I no longer am in contact with them - we collided only through the fanfic scene.

I've had numerous really interesting discussions with other Ghibli and animation fans on this forum including some fairly deep stuff about film and story content and timelines and other issues relating to morals in Ghibli, artistic style and intent and several discussions about Hayao Miyazaki and his approach to life and making money (or not) from his artistic skill.

Other fairly intense conversatins here have revolved around non-anime issues. It is a great forum - or has been in the past.

I find Studio Ghibli anime fans somewhat more wise and mature than most (with the odd exception of course) but then other anime that falls into the "classic" label such as Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Jin Roh or Satoshi Kon's work, to give some examples, can also bring out the more coherent and reasonable side of anime fans - or maybe they attract different types of people.

I find quite a lot of anime fans have an artistic leaning and discussions about artistic style, directing, pacing and music come up again time and time again in conversations.

Never been to a convention. I think I'd find it vaguely cringworthy with people dressed up around me. >

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.28.2018, 09:48 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Being an avid reader, I would have liked to have read your material, Saddles.

Not being of a writing or artistic bent, I usually watched that which made me feel good or gave me a good (in my mind) story or made me laugh. I don't feel that I am learned enough in that direction to be able to say much more than, for example: Good artwork or a good storyline, etc. Generalities, at best.

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.28.2018, 12:55 PM.

01.28.2018, 12:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
amessharris0n
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by amessharris0n Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you so much again to all of you and your detailed responses!

I find it quite fascinating that within a Studio Ghibli fandom everyone is very mature and there doesn’t seem to be many conflict or controversy. Everyone is very open-minded and willing to share opinions and any artwork or stories they’ve produced. Whereas with some fans of a specific anime series, if I say the wrong thing or express the so called ‘wrong opinion’ all hell breaks loose. I guess that’s why I decided to focus on the Studio Ghibli fandom for my study

It’s only fair that I answer my own questions for all you lovely and interesting people.

The first film I watched was Spirited Away when I was younger but I didn’t really known anything about anime back then (minus Pokemon), until I met my boyfriend a few years ago who re-introduced me into Studio Ghibli and anime. I don’t collect merch but I will be attending an Anime and Gaming convention next month which I’m really excited for as it’ll be my first one.

My interaction with other fans has been in person where I know friends or friends of friends who enjoy Studio Ghibli as much as I do. This is my first time speaking to people through a forum and I really enjoyed it, so I’m definitely going to stay more active on here

01.29.2018, 02:00 PM amessharris0n is offline   Profile for amessharris0n Add amessharris0n to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

If it hasn't been said before this, and I see that it hasn't, welcome to the Tavern. Many of the members have grown up and moved on to other pursuits or necessities of life and there are not as many 'actives' as there once was... And don't be fooled by our placid manners, we have had our confrontations and arguments, but the good thing about the Tavern is that eventually we have all, and I mean ALL, have come to grips with our disagreements and generally put them behind us.

I will say this, I don't recall ANY arguments, except genial ones, about any Ghibli topics, only some of the other subjects.

Again Amessharris0n, welcome to the Tavern...

01.29.2018, 05:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It'd be great to have you on board, Aness, welcome! ^_^ I know what you mean about many other fandoms, they can be pretty rabid. Most fans of Ghibli just seem concerned with appreciating their favourite films together; even when there's disagreement as to which films are better or what the meanings of certain things are, it's always amicable.

My Anime List

01.29.2018, 05:17 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There have been some arguments on here, but yeah it's always been about other stuff. Anything about the films themselves is typically pretty chill.

01.29.2018, 11:18 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by amessharris0n
Thank you so much again to all of you and your detailed responses!

I find it quite fascinating that within a Studio Ghibli fandom everyone is very mature and there doesn’t seem to be many conflict or controversy. Everyone is very open-minded and willing to share opinions and any artwork or stories they’ve produced. Whereas with some fans of a specific anime series, if I say the wrong thing or express the so called ‘wrong opinion’ all hell breaks loose. I guess that’s why I decided to focus on the Studio Ghibli fandom for my study

It’s only fair that I answer my own questions for all you lovely and interesting people.

The first film I watched was Spirited Away when I was younger but I didn’t really known anything about anime back then (minus Pokemon), until I met my boyfriend a few years ago who re-introduced me into Studio Ghibli and anime. I don’t collect merch but I will be attending an Anime and Gaming convention next month which I’m really excited for as it’ll be my first one.

My interaction with other fans has been in person where I know friends or friends of friends who enjoy Studio Ghibli as much as I do. This is my first time speaking to people through a forum and I really enjoyed it, so I’m definitely going to stay more active on here

Yeah, that's my experience too. Probably the most mature anime fandom, even though most of the movies are mainly targeted to children(but they are very watchable by all ages, and that's where part of the magic comes from).
I'm not sure if fandom is the right word because it doesn't have a huge following right now. There are many fans but they aren't organized. This is the biggest ghibli forum (probably) and it doesn't seem to be terribly active, sadly.
It's certain that ghibli will continue to have a following forever though, because the films are timeless and, well, good.

quote:
Originally posted by makc
total failure. I do not remember a single discussion that was not superficial.

How so? Why are you browsing Ghibli forums then?

03.08.2018, 08:12 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Hey, welcome to the Tavern, thanossapiens. What brings you here?

03.08.2018, 08:22 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

you might be surprised, Thanos, at how many adults enjoy Ghibli's. I attended a showing of Howls one time that had been offered on a dubbed edition on one day and a subtitled edition on another day. I attended on the subtitled day and the place had quite a few viewers and they were mostly adults with many of the older persuasion (looks around, who, Me?) and a large number of the adults had no children with them... It seems to run that way when ever I attend a Ghibli showing...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.09.2018, 02:01 PM.

03.09.2018, 03:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by thanossapiens
Why are you browsing Ghibli forums then?

good question, so far this is what I have been telling myself:

quote:
Originally posted by makc
this was the site where I learned about Ponoc studio, Yuumei art, or that anime with no people in it

basically, just a few good events have me stick to the place where it happened like a fly to a flypaper.

same thing happens to me IRL, e g I came to this place where I live now some 6 years ago for a job that was over in 2 years, and keep living here for no reason ever since.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 03.09.2018, 11:19 AM.

03.09.2018, 11:11 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I came to the Tavern in a time when I was away from social media and wanted a place to talk about what interests me the most: Studio Ghibli. I really enjoyed being part of this community, for everyone here is so kind and friendly. I've been away for a while but I check in from time to time to see what kind of discussions the members are having and how is everybody doing.

I was first introduced to the studio when I was 13. My friend invited me to her place to watch Spirited Away, saying I would love it. She was absolutely right, I completely fell in love with it. It was an overall mindblowing experience for me, for I had never seen anything like it. I hadn't watched many anime back then. Since then, I've seen every movie produced by the studio, re-watching them regularly, plus a lot of pre-Ghibli stuff made by Takahata and Miyazaki. I also became a huge fan of Joe Hisaishi. To this day, I still follow the news and consume critique on Ghibli works.

Studio Ghibli has shaped my view on life and art. Takahata and Miyazaki's insights on life, nature, work, conflict and tradition had a huge impact on me. It's something I constantly think of. As for art, when I was younger, I was interested in visual arts in a more practical way (i.e. I liked to draw and consume media). Ghibli extended that interest into art fundamentals, film theory, animation and of course anime history. It's also the reason why I'm currently studying the Japanese language.

My interactions with Studio Ghibli fans on RL have been kind of...disappointing. Most of them watched some of the movies, found them cute and that's it. There's no problem with that at all, it just made me feel a bit lonely since no one had real interest in talking about and learning more about the studio. Good thing the internet's around, so I could meet more people who are interested in those things as well.

Could you show us your assignment when it's done? I'd really like to see that study in full! (I'm sorry if that's an inconvenient request)

03.12.2018, 08:59 AM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks