QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - New here
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » New here » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  New herePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello.
I don't have much to say in this post but I felt that it would be kinda appropriate to make an introduction, since this place seems to be tiny.
I searched to see if there is organized Ghibli fandom and this is the forum I found. Having said that, I don't seek to talk about Ghibli films exclusively or anything. There seems to be off-topic discussions too, so don't mind me if I stay.

I can't say that I am a "devoted" anime fan since I don't watch much anime nowdays, because I think all the current ones are really bad and they keep getting worse. So I spend most of my free time playing video games now.

03.08.2018, 08:40 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, thanossapiens, Hoping that you will like it here.

We were very active a few yearrs ago when Ghibli Studios was still putting out movies every year or so, but thery have slow down tremondously. I believe that one may be coming out later this year or the next.

Still a few of us hanging in there. And you are right, we don't talk alot about Ghibli because of the movie slowdown, as I mentioned.

Again, Welcome...

03.09.2018, 03:02 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi and welcome. Yes, not very active although their is a very loyal core of members here that have been around over 10 years.

I expect activity will pick up when the newly announced film begins to make progress.

In the meantime there's a few discussions about the earlier films that it is always useful to have a new point of view on (see Ghibli area) and we tend to talk about other anime and manga as well, plus the general discussion threads which is where most activity currently is.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.09.2018, 04:48 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome, thanossapiens! May we call you Thanos?

Like you, I don't really mind the newer anime. Recently I've been having fun with the World Masterpiece Theater series, that range from ~1974 to 1997. Three of them were directed by Ghibli's Isao Takahata and many of them had Ghibli staff involved. They make slow paced and enthralling series, which I highly recommend to Ghibli fans, old and new.

Again, welcome.

03.12.2018, 07:33 AM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
thanossapiens
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by belborges
Welcome, thanossapiens! May we call you Thanos?

Like you, I don't really mind the newer anime. Recently I've been having fun with the World Masterpiece Theater series, that range from ~1974 to 1997. Three of them were directed by Ghibli's Isao Takahata and many of them had Ghibli staff involved. They make slow paced and enthralling series, which I highly recommend to Ghibli fans, old and new.

Again, welcome.

What a coincidence, I started watching Heidi yesterday.
I just wanted to relieve some of the nostalgia because I used to watch this as a kid.
There is no plot but it's pretty nice and relaxing and also I really like the alpine aesthetic.

03.12.2018, 05:28 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
belborges
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.01.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by belborges Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At first, that's what I thought as well. I just enjoyed watching Heidi's simple and peaceful life. At the end of the series tho I found myself engulfed in feelings of warmth, joyfulness and a bit of sadness too. It was my very first time watching it, so my experience may be different from yours. I didn't even know what it was about. In Brazil it was broadcasted a few times between the late 70s and the early 80s, but I guess it was obscure at the time as no one mentions it nowadays. Not even the book is well known here.

03.13.2018, 10:41 PM belborges is offline   Profile for belborges Add belborges to your buddy list
thanossapiens
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
At first, that's what I thought as well. I just enjoyed watching Heidi's simple and peaceful life. At the end of the series tho I found myself engulfed in feelings of warmth, joyfulness and a bit of sadness too. It was my very first time watching it, so my experience may be different from yours. I didn't even know what it was about. In Brazil it was broadcasted a few times between the late 70s and the early 80s, but I guess it was obscure at the time as no one mentions it nowadays. Not even the book is well known here.

It was broadcasted in the early 2000s here for some reason.
I didn't actually know it was japanese and that Miyazaki worked on it until recently.

03.14.2018, 08:31 AM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have a question since you said you don't like newer anime (I don't agree but that's another matter) - can you tell us some other older stuff that you enjoyed? You haven't mentioned many, but I'm curious about your tastes.

03.20.2018, 08:30 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
thanossapiens
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I have a question since you said you don't like newer anime (I don't agree but that's another matter) - can you tell us some other older stuff that you enjoyed? You haven't mentioned many, but I'm curious about your tastes.

I guess I didn't word it right, I haven't really watched many pre 2000 anime. My favorite would be Berserk (if it can be considered old enough), although I recommend the manga more.
Some others I have enjoyed are Samurai Champloo, KonoSuba, Mushishi, Gin no Saji.

03.21.2018, 08:36 AM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by thanossapiens
My favorite would be Berserk (if it can be considered old enough), although I recommend the manga more.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

03.21.2018, 12:49 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ok, that comic strip probably oversimplifies things. I'm sure actual berserk manga adds way more details to the... plot

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

03.21.2018, 12:56 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
thanossapiens
Kodama

quote:
Originally posted by makc
ok, that comic strip probably oversimplifies things. I'm sure actual berserk manga adds way more details to the... plot

post eclipse berserk is mediocre but the golden age arc is 10/10

03.21.2018, 03:19 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
thanossapiens
Kodama

quote:

I completed Heidi and I really liked it, is there anything else from the WMT you specifically recommend?

04.15.2018, 10:38 AM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
4minute
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by 4minute Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, very beautiful posts

05.09.2018, 02:28 PM 4minute is offline   Profile for 4minute Add 4minute to your buddy list
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Thanossapiens, welcome to the forums.

05.15.2018, 03:36 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks