QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Heidi, Girl of the Alps (1974)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Heidi, Girl of the Alps (1974) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Heidi, Girl of the Alps (1974)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This took a while to watch because I was enjoying myself so much I didn't want to finish it.
For those who don't know this was directed by Isao Takahata and Miyazaki was involved too.

It's a slow anime, especially in the beginning but it eventually picks up and a bit of plot is introduced here and
there. The pacing is very good. Everything is very good, actually. The music, story, art (especially in the new Blu Ray version... you can
see tons more detail than the original). I like how when you see older anime like this one in HD, you can see the imperfections in the linework and it's texture. It shows that it has drawn by hand in a animation cell, and it feels a lot more organic than the digital counterpart.

This is the only case I have seen so far where an adaptation is better
than the original work. Not only that but they had to stretch the story in order to make it 50+ episodes long and surprisingly everything
they added makes it better. The original novel feels lackluster by comparison.
Now, there are some things I don't like either but they would be spoilers so I should leave them out of this post.

I started Anne of the Green Gables now, which is another Takahata anime and part of the World Masterpiece Theater too, I probably wont end up liking it as much but still it's a nice break from the recent cookie-cutter anime.

04.05.2018, 05:30 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
thanossapiens
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.08.18
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by thanossapiens Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

By the way, it seems that Takahata just past away...

It sure is a weird coincidence. I was reading about him and the next thing I see is that he passed away.

He will be missed.

04.05.2018, 05:33 PM thanossapiens is offline   Profile for thanossapiens Add thanossapiens to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't seen this series, but when I was at a Ghibli exhibition a few months ago, there was a big diorama of the scenery. It was very nice. I should watch these old series some time.

And that is very sad news! I suppose I knew it would happen one day, but I'm still really sorry to hear it.

(edit: I moved the thread into the general anime section. I thought that was a better fit.)

04.05.2018, 08:04 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks