QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Sad anime
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Sad anime » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Sad animePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

How do you feel on tragic or sad plots on animes?

06.22.2018, 05:03 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If the whole movie is sad, I generally have no use for it...

Tragic? Not sure that I'd like it, but things like "Posieden Adsventure" is tragic, but as I recall, generally they survive. but with some loses. I did enjoy the movie, original that is, the remake, I shut it off...

06.22.2018, 07:34 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm a big fan of Madoka Magica, so I can't really say I'm against it. Many series have needlessly dark storylines just to get attention though, so I don't like that trend very much.

By the way, I moved this to the anime section.

06.22.2018, 09:37 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have no problem with sad plots within otherwise upbeat anime, or bittersweet stories, but have no use for a very sad/tragic story, such as Grave of the Fireflies.

If you watch a lot of high school settings there is always some angst/confusion/distress/failure/sadness in those stories and that works for me unless it descends into a mass waterworks fountain like the ending of Ano Hana.

Your Lie in April was very sad but I still enjoyed that though.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.22.2018, 09:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

if you people think fireflies grave was dark, try this:

or, better, don't. that one is probably as close to pitch-black as it gets.

on the bright side, all your other sad animes are a walk in the park after you saw this.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

06.30.2018, 05:06 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

truth to be told i have totally stopped watching anime because of this kind of plot/story line. To me what Hayao Miyazaki said makes complete sense that most of the current anime tries to comform to otaku culture rather than real life.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

06.30.2018, 10:11 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour, what do you mean? Of course you can criticise anything you want to, but I wonder why you're suggesting that sad storylines are made to cater to the hardcore audience. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

06.30.2018, 10:43 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was talking about this similar to what you said

quote:
Many series have needlessly dark storylines just to get attention though, so I don't like that trend very much.

And to me dark is a broad subject, I find almost all of the new series to be dark one way or another. Cowboy Bebop's story is very dark but the anime itself is not. I know it's a weird definition but that's how I see it and it's my personal opinion. Another example is Black Lagoon where both the story and the execution is dark. I liked both of the two. But I didn't enjoyed Black Lagoon. Similarly Takahata San's Grave of the fireflies, great but I didn't like it. Sadness is part of life so that's fare. But in my humble opinion sadness is/should be not the only source of new stories. I didn't watch any anime in the last year and a half. So I don't know if any new great show has arrived. When I stopped I found that I am not getting something from the new shows. All of them has the same dialogue same type of characters similar stories. As I have already watched most of the great shows I stopped watching more. That's why I said most anime now cater it's content to a specific demographic. Maybe I am wrong as I am generalising.

TL/DR - I don't like watching anime anymore, I feel like I am guilty pleasuring. To me that is dark. There are better things to do in life. that's where the otaku reference came from.

We can also do a synopsis of some shows if you want to investigate.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

06.30.2018, 03:03 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I suppose I see what you mean then. I was thinking more of things that are made unnecessarily dark to appeal to teenagers, though. That happens pretty often.

If you're concerned about so much anime catering to one demographic, the truth is that's really nothing new. So many series are made with a particular audience in mind, and don't try very hard to be original. But I recommend looking out for stuff that does try to do something different. Just look up what's new, and see what people are saying about it. Often the most popular series will let you down because of the hype, but there's still plenty of good stuff to see.

06.30.2018, 08:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

But...But... I'm an otaku!!! lol

but my otaku likes are likeSumomo from Chobits, I have a doll of hers and a tattoo

Totoro and Princess Mononoke's kodama, likewise a tattoo, others are a totoro, howls castle, catbus items as well as good luck charms,figures from different anime, mostly humor, etc. Which is what I understand the definition of an otaku is, someone so enraptured by the anime that he/she buys the figures, lol

I even subscribe to the magazine "Otaku USA" lol

06.30.2018, 09:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saviour, I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face; there are lots of superb anime out there, well written, engaging and meaningful.

Try looking at films more so than TV series - these have higher production quality and being aimed at a cinema audience tend to be aimed less at one demographic.

I can highly recommend "Colourful" and "Summer Days with Coo" as two really nicely written and animated stories. Yes, each have their sad and melancholy moments but since each is about the human condition and dealing with loss, that's to be expected. each has its joyful moments as well.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.01.2018, 05:53 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

I think I agree with arren that anime always catered to a specific demographic I did not get to see it as I was mostly watching great shows in the last 30-40 years. Once those were finished I started to dislike these elements

I am currently thinking about not watching it 5-10 years. So a good amount of exceptionally good anime accumulates. I didn't watch them before 2012 anyway (yeah that's when I joined this forum more than five years ago) . I agree saddle that films are better. I will add your recommendation s to my list, thank you. I did saw 'Your Name' which was good but not even on the ballpark of whisper of the heart. It is very difficult to make great art. That's why we can count the number of great directors on our fingers for any genre.

07.01.2018, 11:52 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks