QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - You only live once
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » You only live once » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  You only live oncePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I feel worthless after losing my job. Since that day all I do is just party all night to pamper myself. I have been happy all night, but when I wake up, I feel empty again. What should I do?

06.28.2018, 05:22 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Get another job is the obvious answer.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.28.2018, 05:45 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Been there, done that, except the nightly partying. When I was out of work, I couldn't afford to party.

Where I live, when I was out of work, I applied for "Unemployment" from the State of California and went looking for work while going thru the 'waiting' period. If I hadn't found something after the two weeks (iirc) I would get a small check every two weeks until I found something. Which I always did.

The very WORST time I had was when I went thru an Employment Agency! I was in a another city and didn't know anybody and in desperation, went to this private agency. Oh, they found me a job, alright, but it cost me. To use them, I had to put my car up as collateral (my Mustang) and the job they got me only paid $2 an hour. This was back in 1972, and I was barely making enough to get by, much less pay them off, so I lost my beautiful little car . Luckily, I had another car that I had picked up and had it to use.

As soon as the new school season started I was able to hire on as a driver (I already had my certificate) and life went on. I drove for a few years, started raising a family and going to
college. became the company mechanic, was laid off after a few years, but thru an acquaintance got another job and then applied to the Calif Hwy Patrol as a commercial vehicle inspector. later tried to open my own business, but there was a recession. I got some business, but not enough so I went back to being a mechanic (again, thru a friend) glass window and door mfgr.. During all these years I also worked full and part time security as needed and built up a reputation with my last company. In fact, I stopped by the office last week and the owner offered me a job!!!

And now I am retired and forcing myself to watch all these Ghibli Movies...

06.28.2018, 10:52 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

unfortunately there is only a dozen of these movies and, even if you watch them a couple of times, you will run out of stuff to watch in a month.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

06.30.2018, 05:19 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I actually have 25 titles and one short,"On Your Mark", of Ghibli or Ghibli-related films: "Castle of Cagliostro", "Earthsea", "Heidi", "Goshu the Cellist", etc.

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.30.2018, 12:11 PM.

06.30.2018, 12:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
rompglide
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Been there, done that, except the nightly partying. When I was out of work, I couldn't afford to party.

Where I live, when I was out of work, I applied for "Unemployment" from the State of California and went looking for work while going thru the 'waiting' period. If I hadn't found something after the two weeks (iirc) I would get a small check every two weeks until I found something. Which I always did.

The very WORST time I had was when I went thru an Employment Agency! I was in a another city and didn't know anybody and in desperation, went to this private agency. Oh, they found me a job, alright, but it cost me. To use them, I had to put my car up as collateral (my Mustang) and the job they got me only paid $2 an hour. This was back in 1972, and I was barely making enough to get by, much less pay them off, so I lost my beautiful little car . Luckily, I had another car that I had picked up and had it to use.

As soon as the new school season started I was able to hire on as a driver (I already had my certificate) and life went on. I drove for a few years, started raising a family and going to
college. became the company mechanic, was laid off after a few years, but thru an acquaintance got another job and then applied to the Calif Hwy Patrol as a commercial vehicle inspector. later tried to open my own business, but there was a recession. I got some business, but not enough so I went back to being a mechanic (again, thru a friend) glass window and door mfgr.. During all these years I also worked full and part time security as needed and built up a reputation with my last company. In fact, I stopped by the office last week and the owner offered me a job!!!

And now I am retired and forcing myself to watch all these Ghibli Movies...

Thank you for an inspiring reply. It's hard to get a job nowadays and I have no courage to find one yet. I don't want to end up miserable, I am raising up myself day by day until I can finally have the strength to start a new chapter again.

07.03.2018, 09:01 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

23 posts to drop that link?

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

07.03.2018, 02:55 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
23 posts to drop that link?

Posted a link to the same site in their second post too. I thought it was suspect.

My Anime List

07.03.2018, 03:34 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
rompglide
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you for all your replies. Have a good day.

08.13.2018, 07:21 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
KaliAce
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by KaliAce Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

losing your job is not the end of the world, just look for another one instead of partying everyday

01.13.2021, 04:33 PM KaliAce is offline   Profile for KaliAce Add KaliAce to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks