QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Are these Ghibli's?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Are these Ghibli's? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Are these Ghibli's?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@arren and Kaz...

I found two other movies on a Ghibli set of 6 discs...
They were titled:

"Miyori no Mori" (or Miyori's Forest)

and one that I just watched titled:

"Gin-Iro no Kami no Agito" (or Spirits of the Past)

I just finished the Agito one and will watch the Miyori one tomorrow.

I found the 'Miyori...' film on IMBD as Nippon production in 2007 but found nothing on IMBD for the Agito film. Agito is the main character in the story. and the Studio is Gonzo.

In the opening where you choose your film to watch, there is the Ghibli Totoro icon along with the three movies to choose...

Are these considered Ghibli's??? "Panda GoPanda" is also in the series of films

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.04.2018, 05:22 AM.

08.04.2018, 05:15 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never heard of the first one. As far as I can see, the director worked on some Ghibli productions. I remember when the other one was out on DVD, but I'm not finding any evidence of a connection to Ghibli.

In any case, I would definitely not consider them Ghibli films. And if there are three films to a disc... that sounds very much like a bootleg set. Those two extra films were probably added to pad it out.

08.04.2018, 06:01 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks arren, Unfortunately, by the time I got into watching anime and especially Ghibli, I couldn't find the original, early Ghibli's and had to settle for the bootleg versions if I wanted them at all. As the later versions came out I was able to collect them, but as I said, the earlier ones I had no choice nor the money for them.

Domo

08.04.2018, 12:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spirits of the Past IIRC pinches quite a few ideas from Nausicaa. In fact A LOT of ideas. Its worth a watch but is no way a part of Ghibli. Plot is pretty terrible. It does have a simply gorgeous ending theme, probably worth watching the film just to hear that, its one of my favourite all time pieces of anime music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin:_Spirits_of_the_Past

For the other one, a summary here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyori_no_Mori

No Ghibli relation there either.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.04.2018, 01:20 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just remembered I saw Spirits of the Past, years ago. Had almost completely forgotten about it, so it can't have been great.

My Anime List

08.04.2018, 01:28 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Just remembered I saw Spirits of the Past, years ago. Had almost completely forgotten about it, so it can't have been great.

Thanks Saddles and Kaz... I'll probably watch "Spirits..." tonight. I'll let you know what I think...

I'm sure that I watched both of them years ago when I was just starting in the Tavern.

There is another title on one of the discs, "Sound of the Ocean". It is likely "Ocean Waves", but all of the other 'known' Ghiblies are spot on in their titles, so we'll see...

This collection is titled "The Great Collection: Studio Ghibli present II" and has six discs total with 23 movies.

Again, like I said, I couldn't find the originals when I started out so I went where I had too if I wanted to see them...

I know, I'm bad...

08.04.2018, 04:34 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think it is Ocean Waves. From what I remember, that didn't get an official release internationally for many years, so they probably just came up with their own translation of the title.

08.05.2018, 03:27 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks