QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - New Ghibli film announced: ゲド戦記 (Gedo Senki)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions New Ghibli film announced: ゲド戦記 (Gedo Senki) Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  ]
ac-chan
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ac-chan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Any comment?

03.22.2006, 04:53 PM ac-chan is offline   Profile for ac-chan Add ac-chan to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

sorry, I failed to DL it. I cant see it yet.
anybody who was able to read, please give advice to me. (cookies? ActiveX? )

03.22.2006, 08:24 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
ac-chan
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ac-chan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nausicaa.net has yesterday put them on there site http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/earthsea/relmedia.html

And if you hav again a megaupload.com link. In the top left corner is a countdown. when it is over a (javascript) commercial popup is displayed. close them(the [x] in the top bar of the popup) and then you can see the (final ;-) ) download link

03.23.2006, 01:27 PM ac-chan is offline   Profile for ac-chan Add ac-chan to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thank you i got it.

03.23.2006, 03:10 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
cavaanani
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by cavaanani Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know this is a little late in the thread, but THANK YOU for posting the lyrics. I've been looking for them forever!

In return, I took a stab at making them match the meter of the song, and I even made them rhyme a little. Feel free to make any changes you feel would improve this translation. Thanks!

Oh, and by the way, this is based from the version used in the trailer. If anyone has the full version I would be happy to work off the melody and match the other verses as best I can...

Over the clouds at the falling of the night...
The sun begins to die, one small hawk flies.
He must be very sad, lonely in the skies.

In the swift wind, silence whispers through his wings.
The air takes him far away, saying not a sound.
Though he wants to rest, he cannot touch the ground.

Oh, how can I tell you what thoughts are in my soul?
I want to fly, so desperately alone.
A hawk in the wind is the sadness of my heart,
A loneliess swirling so...Could he ever know?

I am in a field, on a path that no one treads,
And you are beside me, walking through the grass...
You must be alone though, for I will leave at last.

Insects are singing and their song has filled the air.
Together we walk the path, underneath the skies.
Silent as the hawk's wings, as he sadly flies.

Oh, how can I tell you what thoughts are in my mind?
I wish to tell you, how lonely I've become.
A hawk in the wind is the traveller on the road,
If only we three could speak of our hearts as one.

Post last edited by cavaanani on 04.01.2006, 09:16 PM.

04.01.2006, 08:53 PM cavaanani is offline   Profile for cavaanani Add cavaanani to your buddy list Homepage of cavaanani
nanashi
Ohmu

I want some suggestions.

Therru: Inochi wo taisetsu ni shinai yatsu nante daikkirai da!
Therru: 命を大切にしない奴なんて、大っ嫌いだ !

How do you translate this sentences into English?
my original transration is
"I hate you who don't value your life!"

To tell the truth, because it spoil speed of lines, I don't want to use "who".

However, whether it's life of Arren or others' lives cannot be distinguished from this lines.
I imagined it pointed life of Arren, because I thought of the tendency to the movie of Miyazaki Anime.

05.10.2006, 02:18 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The translation on Nausicaa.net is -
"I hate a person who doesn't value life!"

In this case, 'who' could easily be replaced for 'that' without breaking its flow -although its not necessary.

What I like about this translation is that it can be both plural and specific in a sense. If she is saying this to Arren for example, then it implies that he is such a person -but also in the broader context she does not like others that behave similiarly.

Perhaps straying away from the original translation, I like this the most...
"I hate those who do not value life"

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

05.10.2006, 03:12 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just saw the second trailer. To be honest, I haven't kept up with GS news at all for a long time, so I'll be kinda lost.

Anyway, just askin' if anyone else besides me noticed that the girl has some kind of birthmark on her face, on the left side around her eye. I missed it in the 1st trailer, but it was pretty clear in the 2nd. Was this anywhere in the book?

Also, there's news that the single is out by Tower Records. Anyone know where to get it?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.10.2006, 10:11 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Just saw the second trailer. To be honest, I haven't kept up with GS news at all for a long time, so I'll be kinda lost.

Anyway, just askin' if anyone else besides me noticed that the girl has some kind of birthmark on her face, on the left side around her eye. I missed it in the 1st trailer, but it was pretty clear in the 2nd. Was this anywhere in the book?

Also, there's news that the single is out by Tower Records. Anyone know where to get it?

Yep, I noticed it and it appears like Ghibli are in big trouble!

*WARNING SPOILER*
According to my friend who has read the Earthsea books, that little pink patch is supposed to be a hideous burn. She was burned so bad that even one of her arms is almost unusable.

From the trailer, everyone appears to be white too, whereas in the book the main characters are of copper or black skin. Le Guin is very protective of her ethnic settings and when the SCIFI channel changed the characters to white she published a very scathing criticism.

You can read it here - http://www.slate.com/id/2111107/

http://www.slate.com/id/2111107/

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

05.12.2006, 12:04 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
micg huz
Calcifer

Registration Date: 05.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by micg huz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeh i noticed that too on seeing the trailer - THEY ARE ALL WHITE!. now thats not a prob or anyting but its not very faithfull to the book and i do wonder of the reasons behind it.
though the northeners in the book are white - whether their in the 3rd book though (that the film is -loosley- based on) i cant remember, but, yes certainly the charactors in the movie clip shouldnt be so white, according to the book anyway.
i checked out that scathing crit by the author of the book posted by E_Hakki and she seemed to be pretty pisssed at how they had whitified the t.v. series but unless i missed it she wasnt talking about the new ghibli. though i think i can guess her rection to it.

but i wonder ghiblis reasons for the change???????????

05.12.2006, 12:44 PM micg huz is offline   Profile for micg huz Add micg huz to your buddy list Send an Email to micg huz
Tehanu
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tehanu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wonder about the birthmark too...maybe if it was the way Le Guin described it in her book, it'd be just too distracting. Every time we saw it we'd go 'ugh.' Worse than that, we might misunderstand it. In a lot of fantasy, the evil characters are ugly or marked in some way. In Japanese culture, is it the same? I'm trying to understand the meaning of 'tsumi' - can anyone help me out here?

Maybe Miyazaki didn't want everyone assuming there was something about the girl that made her deserving of such a terrible mark. In a book it's easy to write how some characters understand how she got that way, and have sympathy for her. But in a movie, we just see the picture and have an impression of wrongness. Just my thoughts though, anyone have more?

06.06.2006, 04:23 AM Tehanu is offline   Profile for Tehanu Add Tehanu to your buddy list
arren
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.11.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I couldn't believe it when I found out! My favorite book with studio ghibli?!
After that horrible sci-fi channel movie (which I stopped watching after five minutes) I didn't think that Earthsea would ever come properly alive on the big screen, (fine with me, but a shame that the poor attempt was even made) The are supposed to be copper skinned, except tenar, but she's supposed to have black hair and they made it blonde.
I certainly hope that studio ghibli doesn't mess this up. I'm putting faith in them.
As for the scar, yes half of her face is supposed to be completely burned away along with her arm. I don't know why ghibli's changing it, miyazaki-sama's never been one to worry about good or evil looks in his characters *sigh* if it were miyazaki-sama directing this I wouldn't be worried at all.
Anyone with a question about earthsea, I'm the one to come to!

one day I tried to explain Spirited Away to Tess (who doesn't watch anime)...

Tess: but see that's just weird! I mean what would you think if your boyfriend suddenly turned into a dragon?

Me: (short pause) THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!

06.11.2006, 07:18 PM arren is offline   Profile for arren Add arren to your buddy list
Tehanu
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tehanu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I did get to download the trailer and now I'm thinking Sparrowhawk does look european, with that beard and all. I wish I knew what Goro Miyazaki was thinking there. It's a worry. Like Arren, I have to say these are my favourite books and I hate to think of them being destroyed as badly as what the SciFi channel did. Not sure about the fighting-with-the-wolves scene in the trailer either. I really dread this being turned into some sword and sandals epic with lots of fight scenes. Hope he at least gets Le Guin's Taoist feel for things, the balance of power, dark and light, all of that.

06.12.2006, 01:04 AM Tehanu is offline   Profile for Tehanu Add Tehanu to your buddy list
Pendragon
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.12.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pendragon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hello everyone^^ I'm a new member

I've got a question

I'd love to know what the white text on this poster mean?
'miememonokozo' and another 2 sentenses.

from http://rose-rote.hp.infoseek.co.jp/miya/...i/chirashi2.htm ^__^
I've found it at this topic
Thank you

Howl avatar made by ushitora Thanks!

Post last edited by Pendragon on 06.12.2006, 06:36 AM.

06.12.2006, 06:36 AM Pendragon is offline   Profile for Pendragon Add Pendragon to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Pendragon
'miememonokozo' and another 2 sentenses.

Hi, Pendragon
another 2 sentenses and...

父さえいなければ、
生きられると思った。
見えぬものこそ。

Chichi sae inakereba,
ikirareru to omotta.
Mienumono koso.

I thought if father didn't exist,
I was able to live.
The very thing which is not visible.

06.12.2006, 02:03 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Pendragon
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.12.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pendragon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

oh thank you very much

Howl avatar made by ushitora Thanks!

06.12.2006, 11:37 PM Pendragon is offline   Profile for Pendragon Add Pendragon to your buddy list
Tehanu
Susuwatari

I don't know, I'm admiring of anyone who can do translations but that poem remains very mysterious even after being translated into English. What do you think they are trying to say?

06.13.2006, 02:27 AM Tehanu is offline   Profile for Tehanu Add Tehanu to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Tehanu
I don't know, I'm admiring of anyone who can do translations but that poem remains very mysterious even after being translated into English. What do you think they are trying to say?
Its mysterious also in Japanese.

06.13.2006, 06:05 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
arren
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.11.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Quote from "A racy issue"

Kanta
Susa-Ataris

Registration Date: 05.26.06
skin color is HADA-IRO

We Japanese believe that the skin color of Ghibli charactors is not white nor black. But they have Japanese skin color HADA-IRO.
For example Kiki's delivery is located in North Europe, but main charactors look like Japanese, we think.
Of course on Japanese release, they speak in Japanese and Kiki writes a letter to her parents in Japanese.Basically, Ghibli animes are made for Japanese market. They get most of incomes from Japanese market.
Charactors in Gedo Senki who look like Japanese is not so strange. If it is a live action movie and Japanes actors play in it, we may feel sense of incongruity,but it is animation, we do not think so unnaturally.
Most of Japanese audience can easily sympathize with the characters who look like Japanese.
sorry poor English --from Japan

Post last edited by Kanta on 06.06.2006, 12:41 PM.

05.26.2006, 12:59 PM

It does seem that almost all anime characters have this skin color, and as for ged's beard if you look at the other movies, such as nausicaa, that seems to be miyazaki's way of portraying men of that age. (I know it's his son but maybe he's the same way.) I AM still pissed that it looks like tenar's hair was turned gold though. >_<
Yes, I will struggle to believe that ghibli will continue to be as wonderful as ever, and that it will not destroy my book. I was able to watch Howl as a completely different story and still like, hopefully (if worst comes to worst) I can do that here too.

*and after what sci-fi did not much could be worse ne?*

one day I tried to explain Spirited Away to Tess (who doesn't watch anime)...

Tess: but see that's just weird! I mean what would you think if your boyfriend suddenly turned into a dragon?

Me: (short pause) THAT WOULD BE SO COOL!!

06.14.2006, 10:27 AM arren is offline   Profile for arren Add arren to your buddy list
szopen
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.08.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by szopen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I first saw the trailer I didnt realised the girl was therru. Only when I find out that the song name was the way it was, I realised that this pretty girl is supposed to be almost mute little girl with traumatic experiences and terrible scarfs. I was simply stoned. I mean, the terrible scarfs on therru face are pretty fundamental to the story....

Strange some say that "we associate ugliness with good" <- well, maybe in childhood, but otherwise I always thought that only very primitive cultures have this associations and I didn't consider English to be one of such cultures.

And many thanks for the lyrics!

08.08.2006, 09:31 AM szopen is offline   Profile for szopen Add szopen to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks