QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Tales of Earthsea... Ponyo
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Tales of Earthsea... Ponyo » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Tales of Earthsea... PonyoPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched "Tales of Earthsea" last night... What with all the garbage going on, I decided that I wanted to watch one of my Ghibli's, so I picked this one... And surprisingly, when it was over, I couldn't believe how relaxed I felt... It made falling to sleep quite easy and I slept for over 7 hours straight through, until my phone rang... lol

And tonight, again looking through my collection, I realized that I hadn't seen "Ponyo" in quite awhile, so I put that disc in the player and saw a number of parts of it that I had forgotten about... I'm glad that I watched it again... I'm going to have to watch all of them again...

06.07.2020, 01:59 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What did you think rewatching these two? Since they're among the less popular Ghibli films, I'm kinda curious.

06.07.2020, 09:24 AM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked Tales of Earthsea quite a bit. It had enough flare and mystery to become another ghibli classic. I think they should remake it. However i dont think the author's trust would allow it given how appalled she was.

It should have been an multipart epic. Netflix can do that. As they are trying to appeal to us millennial by adapting things from Popular Culture.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

06.07.2020, 12:45 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
What did you think rewatching these two? Since they're among the less popular Ghibli films, I'm kinda curious.

It has been awhile since I had seen either of them, I noted a number of scenes in both movies that I had forgotten that increased my enjoyment...

Yes, the Earthsea artwork, IMO, still didn't strike as good as in later Ghibli's, the storyline was very enjoyable to me... I will have to re-read the book again, but if I remember correctly, it was quite a bit different from the movie...

In the Ponyo movie, the storyline was much as I remembered it, but I didn't remember how indepth some of the scenes played out... I have always liked the film...

--------------------------------------

Yeah, yeah... I know, but for me, I seem to have a mental block in giving a description of a movie As to what I got from watching it, etc. I also had a bit of a problem with book reports way back in school... I generally gave the bare minimum required...

06.07.2020, 06:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I enjoyed both of them when I saw them too, but I do think I agree with the general consensus that they're not the strongest.

I'm actually in the middle of rereading the Earthsea books myself (for the umpteenth time). The film has elements of a few of them, but it's mostly a loose adaptation of the third book from what I can remember. Actually, the fact that it picks and chooses from several books helped it in my mind, since it made it easier not to think of it as a bad adaptation. It has been a long time since I watched it though.

06.10.2020, 01:52 AM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I myself have read the la Guin books and if I remember right, it was from the third for the most part...
----------------------------------------------------------
Just finished watching "The Cat Returns"...

06.10.2020, 04:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@husky if you think about it, full japanese title ("The Cat Returns THE FAVOR" ) makes so much more sense and yet...

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 07.03.2020, 01:19 PM.

07.03.2020, 01:19 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks