QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Aya and the Witch
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Aya and the Witch » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, it'll air on Japanese TV on the 30th, and then there are distributors in the US and Europe who have so far said they're putting it in cinemas early next year.

12.11.2020, 04:56 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here's the first review I've seen of the film: https://unseenjapan.com/review-earwig-and-the-witch-ghibli/

Overall, it sounds like it isn't the disaster some seemed to think it might be, but it's probably not going to be among anyone's favourite Ghiblis.

01.04.2021, 12:56 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
KaliAce
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by KaliAce Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is it now available in the US?

01.07.2021, 03:36 PM KaliAce is offline   Profile for KaliAce Add KaliAce to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Not yet! I'm not quite sure when it's supposed to be out. The last I heard was some time early this year.

01.07.2021, 06:46 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

I just saw something suggesting that this will come out in some cinemas and on HBO Max in the US next month! Still no indication of when it'll appear anywhere else, but I expect other countries will get it on Netflix at some point.

01.19.2021, 05:33 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the update, arren... Looking forward to seeing it...

01.19.2021, 12:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Further updates!

More specific US release dates: https://gkids.com/films/earwig-and-the-witch/

And a preview of the opening scene (English dub): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4fY-I1C7WY&

01.31.2021, 04:19 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahahaha, thank you arren, for the info...

Feb 3 would be great, IF the theaters were to be opened up by them, lol I can be patient, tho...

Hahahaha, reminds me of the pyschodelic poster I used to have on my wall in my 20's...

Picture of a vulture, sitting on a cactus, staring down a an almost dead mouse staring back up at it... Caption reads:

"Patience, hell, I'm going to kill something"

lol

01.31.2021, 01:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A lot of people have watched this. It seems to me Studio Ghibli for some reason is more popular now than around 9 years ago when i joined this group.

There is clear divide between the fans a lot of people liked this a lot while others not so much

it seems that there is not so much in middle type of response.

Rotten Tomato editor score is rotten
IMDB score 4.9

basically people who are a little more than casual watchers did not like the movie

It makes sense to me as 3D is extremely difficult.

And i dont understand why they like all other japanese studios went for the sharp pointy 3D style instead of round and fluffy western style.

Maybe because anime characters and sharp and pointy not sure

i dont think anyone is particularly a fan of japanese style 3d animation

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 02.07.2021, 11:46 AM.

02.07.2021, 11:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

The little theater in town just opened up this weekend, but they are not set up for 3-D, I've never seen a 3-D here... I will have to check the listings for other theaters that may carry it... There is a multiplex being built a few miles away which may put the kibosh on our little one...

It was built in 1928 and opened with a Buster Keaton silent film... and NO!, I wasn't here for the opening... lol

Still going well until the pandemic with many first-run movie releases, but just before the pandemic, Mike sold the theater. New owners, so we'll see how they do...

02.07.2021, 02:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

This news is actually a few weeks old but somehow I didn't spot it until now:
https://soranews24.com/2021/02/11/studio...trical-release/

Apparently the theatrical release at the end of April in Japan will have some extra footage. I've heard a few reviews mention that the film ends just when it seems like the story is going to get to somewhere, so I wonder if it could be a new conclusion or something.

Another thing I'm wondering about is what this will mean for releases in other countries. It's already on streaming in some countries and maybe cinemas sooner than in Japan? So I suppose I don't know what version will be available after the Japanese cinema release...

03.09.2021, 05:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Thank you for the link, arren... I enjoyed watching and also reading about Hayao Miyazaki's wife, Akemi Miyazaki, who is an animator in her own right, which is how she and Hayao met.

03.09.2021, 02:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Aha! I haven't had any updates for a bit, since I just haven't seen anything new, but I just found out that at my nearest cinema at least, this will be shown from 28 May! So you can expect I'll be going to see it pretty soon, as long as they have it with subtitles. If not, I'll find out where they DO have subtitles.

05.17.2021, 04:31 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Good news to hear, thank you... Soon, it will be over here...

05.17.2021, 10:39 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Aha! I haven't had any updates for a bit, since I just haven't seen anything new, but I just found out that at my nearest cinema at least, this will be shown from 28 May! So you can expect I'll be going to see it pretty soon, as long as they have it with subtitles. If not, I'll find out where they DO have subtitles.

Would you still need subtitles? I think you and kaz should be just fine without it.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

05.18.2021, 10:44 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

That's great news, can't wait to watch it too

05.18.2021, 11:11 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
quote:

Would you still need subtitles? I think you and kaz should be just fine without it.

I suppose that's true, and I did see the last few without subtitles the first time round, but I still prefer to have them. Anyway, what I mainly meant was that I want to see it with the original audio instead of the English dub.

05.18.2021, 11:42 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:

I suppose that's true, and I did see the last few without subtitles the first time round, but I still prefer to have them. Anyway, what I mainly meant was that I want to see it with the original audio instead of the English dub.

I agree with the original audio with subtitles... and not dubbing...

05.18.2021, 09:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
poncholumps
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.23.20
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by poncholumps Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
quote:

I agree with the original audio with subtitles... and not dubbing...

Me too, I prefer subtitles instead of dubbing

05.28.2021, 01:02 PM poncholumps is offline   Profile for poncholumps Add poncholumps to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Unfortunately, so far the only cinemas around me that have it are only showing the English dub. I'll keep my eyes open, but it might just have to wait... To be honest, my expectations aren't the highest for this one, so I want to give it a fighting chance by seeing it in my preferred way.

06.01.2021, 02:14 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks