QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Why Nausicaa is one of the best written female characters
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Why Nausicaa is one of the best written female characters » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.06.20
Why Nausicaa is one of the best written female charactersPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Aang3 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I posted this over on reddit, but wanted to hear as many people's thoughts as possible. This post is riddled with spoilers for the Nausicaa manga and movie, and to be honest, I don't think my argument can be made without spoiling things, so I didn't bother with covering spoilers, I'd recommend not reading it. If you don't care about being spoiled, I tried to provide sufficient context for people unfamiliar with the story.

I've been thinking a lot recently about how Hayao Miyazaki was way ahead of his time in writing a genuinely strong female protaganist when he wrote the Nausicaa manga (and to a lesser extent, the movie). I don't mean the stereotypically strong female character such as Black Widow, but a more authentically feminine character that is encoded with empowering traits. There's quite a bit of set up I need to do to say what I want to say about Nausicaa, but I promise I'll get back to it. A lot of my thoughts on this were informing by this NYT article I Don't Want to be the Strong Female Lead, you should give it a read, Marling has some really interesting insights that I'd never thought about. I'll summarize it for those who don't want to read it . She basically talks about how the typical strong female character in Hollywood blockbusters is given traditionally masculine traits, and this is what makes them strong. In contrast she says "It's difficult for us to imagine femininity itself, empathy, vulnerability, listening, as strong." Marling finds herself disappointed in the typical strong female character because of this. This got me thinking about what storytellers today should be striving for in writing female characters. What is the goal of feminism in storytelling? To answer this, I think we first need to identify what the problem is. I think there are two related issues:

1. Feminine traits are encoded as weak and inferior to masculine traits in media (i.e. one must adopt masculine traits such as "physical prowess, linear ambition, focused rationality" to quote Marling)

2. Female characters are always associated with these feminine traits

I think that is is useful in studying media to separate feminine traits from the female characters they are usually associated with because certainly when male characters are associated with these traits, they are also encoded as being weak. Furthermore, the second issue is what characters like Black Widow are subverting; she is breaking free of the traditional restriction of female characters to feminine traits. But I think this is only a small step in the right direction, it really only puts a band aid on the issue. To really start to cause change in society, we need to see traditionally feminine traits being portrayed as strengths, both in male and female characters. I think Aang in Avatar the Last Airbender is a great example of a non-traditionally masculine character who exhibits some of these characteristics in a strong way.

But now we can finally get to discussing how Miyazaki wrote Nausicaa. She is at her core, a compassionate person, she exhibits empathy towards all life, she allows herself to be vulnerable at times, and listens to other people and the Ohmu rather than immediately rushing into fighting. And yet none of these traits are portrayed as weaknesses or flaws. Part of how he does this is that Nausicaa rarely has to be saved by anyone, in fact, she is the one doing the saving, as she does for Asbel.

But what I think are the truly special moments in the manga, are when Nausicaa exhibits her willingness to suffer to save other people. Spoilers for the end of the Nausicaa movie and the Acid Lake volume of the manga. Nausicaa chooses to stay with the enraged baby ohmu even as it enters the acid lake, resulting in Nausicaa burning her foot. I think this is an extremely unique moment of feminity being shown as a strength. Nausicaa is so empathetic with the Ohmu, she is willing to bear any pain that it experiences, to share the burden of that pain with it. And this has a powerful effect on the Ohmu, prompting it to stop heading into the lake; Nausicaa's empathy has the power to save others even in the most extreme of situations.

A similar example of this only happens in Volume 3 of the manga, when one of the Torumekian soldiers breaths in miasma. Nausciaa cradles him and sucks the posionous miasma out of his lungs, and spits it out. It's this interesting scene that simultaneously shows how nurturing and motherly Nausicaa is, while always showsing her willingness to take in the pain of others, to take that burden aways from them, even if the process is grotesque and puts her life at risk.

This is what "empathy, vulnerability, listening" encoded as a strength look like, it doesn't make Nausicaa feeble or weak, as many macho war movies would have you believe. Some problems can't be solved by punching a person, they require a more emotional touch. Nausicaa saving the two Dorok babies has a profound impact on the narrative moving forward, giving a mother who lost her children a chance to be a parent again, and changing the course of Charuka's story.

Even in the darkest moment of Nausicaa after the Daikaisho, when she chooses to stay with the Ohmu and be swallowed, this ends up being pivotal moment that results in her becoming stronger. It is absolutely understandable that a person as fiercely compassionate as Nausicaa would be devastated by the mass death of the Ohmu. But ultimately, in this moment of extreme vulnerability and introspection, she accepts Miralupa as a part of herself, thus signaling that she accepts the darkess within. Miyazaki implies that it is acceptable, and even necessary, to allow oneself to be vulnerable at times and to experience grief and anger, and then to accept the dark parts of ourself and our life. Nausicaa comes out of her dream state hardened, but more resolved in maintaining hope than ever before.

I believe that Miyazaki was so ahead of his time in many respects when he was writing Nausciaa, and to be quite frank, I don't think he necessarily was actively seeking to write Nausicaa in this way. Miyazaki is renowned for taking in his surroundings and incorporating them into his work, he always strived to create realities that were true to life even amidst fantasy elements. He believes that it is deeply disgusting and unacceptable to misrepresent reality or create unrealistic characters. Nausicaa was born from the women in Miyazaki's life, and an ideal that he believes we should all strive for. I think Nausicaa is not just a strong female character, but a truly strong feminine character.

This was really long, sorry, I have done a lot of thinking about this, and am curious to see what other people think about Nausicaa and how she was portrayed.

08.06.2020, 01:46 PM Aang3 is offline   Profile for Aang3 Add Aang3 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome to the Tavern, Aang3...

Whew...

A lot to read and digest...

I haven't read the 'Nausicaa' manga, so I cannot relate to those parts...

I will re-read and try to come up with a response...

Again, Welcome!

08.06.2020, 08:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Aang3
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Aang3 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, sorry, I had a lot of thoughts about this topic. I wanted my first post to be quite an entrance . No pressure to come up with a response, though I'd love to hear it. I would highly recommend reading the Nausica? manga if you like the Ghibli movies. I believe it is Miyazaki's greatest work.

08.06.2020, 11:22 PM Aang3 is offline   Profile for Aang3 Add Aang3 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, thanks for posting this! It's very interesting.

I think there is a tendency for some people (especially big movie studios) to hear "strong female character" and think "strong" should mean PHYSICALLY strong. Then they do that and pretend it's groundbreaking without really doing much else. The important thing about "strong" is that it really means strongly written, that is, with genuine depth and development.

I also have never got round to reading the manga, but I think generally speaking, the leads in Ghibli films are good examples of well-written female characters. They aren't treated as secondary, and they have varied personal traits that don't just fall into a stereotype. They also have actual struggles that they work to overcome, instead of having a patronising air of invincibility - which you see a lot in action films, etc.

The last point definitely applies to male characters too. In a lot of mainstream media, the leads are written just to be cool, and if there is any greater depth to their personal story, it tends towards cliched tragic back stories that are hard to really care about. So it all very much comes down to studios wanting money-making films and TV series and not being interested in really fleshing out their characters. You say that you don't think Miyazaki particularly went out of his way to make Nausicaa a strong female character, and I would agree. Nausicaa is written as a nuanced and rounded character, not as an advertisement for the manga or film.

If you have more to say about this, I'd be very happy to hear it!

08.06.2020, 11:23 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Aang3
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Aang3 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree completely, strong is a nebulous term that is thrown around in a lot of different contexts, and is often misunderstood. Nausicaa is strong in many ways, she certainly has the mental fortitude to endure the conflicts that she encounters, and as I said in my post, I think her willingness to bear pain for others is a strength. It's just not strength in the traditional physical way of being buff and macho.

You touch on why I love Hayao Miyazaki so much, he is a creator that fights unceasingly against inauthenticity. He could never write a unrealistic or poorly realized character, either male or female, because he puts in so much effort to make every aspect of his films true to life. And he never does this to sell his movies or for the sake of any social movements. He genuinely, truly believes in what he writes, and it shows. San is another great example of a well-written character. I think San and Ashitaka are actually kind of like if you split Nausicaa in half and isolated her key traits in two people, which is kind of interesting.

I just wrote a response to a comment over on reddit that is very relavent to the point you make about mainstream media, so I'll put it here.

There seems to be a central issue with Hollywood blockbusters where they go through phases of copying each other because at the end of the day, they often operate as businesses rather than storytellers. There's a certain type of masculine female character that sells well in movies and was reviewed positively for a while. But now I think we are starting to see backlash against this as we start to say "hey big movie studios, you do realize other types of women exist right?" So really, another aspect of the issue of portraying women and felinity is the movie industry itself, and its unwillingness to change and take risks.

08.06.2020, 11:42 PM Aang3 is offline   Profile for Aang3 Add Aang3 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, definitely. For big studios it's usually more about money, and repeating the elements that have succeeded before. They tend to be behind the curve too. I clearly remember people mocking the "strong female character" cliche many years ago, and in the time since then, I think that shallow action heroines have actually come back into fashion a bit in Hollywood films.

I suppose a lot of people expect too much from the mainstream film industry, considering that those involved are usually not really interested in pushing any boundaries apart from budget or technology.

08.07.2020, 08:08 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

As I see it, movie studios are formed of companies comprised of people that have to answer to others in producing a money-making venture. Thus, they do not often have the independence to take chances in putting forth an untried format, so that when a certain movie is successful, the studios, as mentioned, will try to emulate the format that succeeded... Fortunately, Studio Ghibli with their star asset, Hayao Miyazaki, have been able to give him free rein to use his talents to everyone's delight: Investors, Producers and Audiences... With that success, other Directors have had their chance as well...

I am not always good at putting my thoughts in writing and I am feeling this lack right now, but I hope that I have made some sense in all this... hahaha, I see, upon re-reading arren's post, that I have said somewhat the same thing... sigh

Looking at other Ghibli's with female leads: 'WOTH', Shizuku slowly grows from uncertainty to becoming more sure of herself, much like Kiki does in 'Kiki's Delivery Service' and Chihiro in 'Spirited Away'. Even the much younger girls in "Totoro" become stronger as the movie progresses.. 'Marnie', 'Arriety', etc... On reflection, I realize that this has happened, to some degree, in nearly all of their movies with female roles that I can bring to mind... But not all in the same way...

Hoping for many more Ghibli's in the future

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.08.2020, 12:12 AM.

08.07.2020, 11:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What makes Nausicaa one of the best Studio Ghibli heroines is her determination. She experiences pain and horror, and, in order to save the worlds of man and nature, puts herself in danger. And she isn't shown to be particularly strong. Nausicaa's softness is her strength.

09.24.2020, 08:22 PM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks