QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Psychological Reactions to the COVID-19 Pandemic
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Psychological Reactions to the COVID-19 Pandemic » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Psychological Reactions to the COVID-19 PandemicPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

08.23.2021, 07:18 PM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Psychologically speaking, personally, it is hard to say... I haven't had any trouble with any sleeping problems connected with the Pandemic. Occasionally, I have bad dreams, but no more than pre-Pandemic times and usually connected with aspects of my pre-Pandemic life. The only problem that I can think of is from the stress of having members of my family that believe that the whole pandemic situation is false and that there is nothing to be concerned about, and that masking and vaccinations are a government plot primarily brought about by anti-Trump factions.
Any stress would be from concern about my Grand-kids in these families whose parents don't seem to care... But there is nothing that I can do about it and if I protest too much, I fear being cut off from seeing these Grand- kids, altogether...

08.24.2021, 01:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
rompglide
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Psychologically speaking, personally, it is hard to say... I haven't had any trouble with any sleeping problems connected with the Pandemic. Occasionally, I have bad dreams, but no more than pre-Pandemic times and usually connected with aspects of my pre-Pandemic life. The only problem that I can think of is from the stress of having members of my family that believe that the whole pandemic situation is false and that there is nothing to be concerned about, and that masking and vaccinations are a government plot primarily brought about by anti-Trump factions.
Any stress would be from concern about my Grand-kids in these families whose parents don't seem to care... But there is nothing that I can do about it and if I protest too much, I fear being cut off from seeing these Grand- kids, altogether...

I hear you, I also know some people who believe that there is nothing to worry about this pandemic. How can you not believe when some friends and family got the virus?

08.24.2021, 07:38 AM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
poncholumps
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.23.20
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by poncholumps Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first few months were really hard, but you get used to it. The news, lockdowns, and stuff. It will affect you mentally and physically but you learn how to cope. No problems with sleeping

08.25.2021, 03:31 PM poncholumps is offline   Profile for poncholumps Add poncholumps to your buddy list
rompglide
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by poncholumps
The first few months were really hard, but you get used to it. The news, lockdowns, and stuff. It will affect you mentally and physically but you learn how to cope. No problems with sleeping

What are your coping strategies?

09.03.2021, 03:06 PM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.26.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Feeling okay, as things seem to be getting back to something resembling normal. Also moved from the US to Europe so there is a lot of new things to explore that keep the feeling of doom currently in the world, at bay.

I can say I have grown a lot during this past year and a half though. It has caused me to re-evaluate the direction that my life was going in, and forced me to make new choices. That aspect has been hugely beneficial, so far.

09.14.2021, 09:28 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I moved between different continents during this time as well, so I understand the stress involved. I guess I'd agree about personal growth too, but it has been a tough time in so many ways. It'll take quite a bit of time to really recover emotionally.

09.14.2021, 03:29 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the virus is overrated, tbh, at most you get that layer of crap on your tongue that spoils the taste of everything you eat. you can fix it using a toothbrush in a day.

now the side effects is where the fun begins. if you get lungs infection you have to take series of IV antibiotics injections. sad times.

but to answer your original question, I actually sleep better than before, which sucks because I loved to stay up late and now I cant go past 1am

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

11.22.2021, 09:57 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
the virus is overrated, tbh, at most you get that layer of crap on your tongue that spoils the taste of everything you eat. you can fix it using a toothbrush in a day.

Yeah, I'm sure the people who are dead from it, and their families totally think its over-rated.

You thoughtless cretin.

Don't trivialise this virus. It KILLS and if it doesn't kill it can change you permanently. There are people who find the taste of food foul, even a year later.

Please THINK before you type thoughtless and unhelpful stuff.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.22.2022, 01:34 PM.

12.22.2022, 01:33 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Granted... In many cases, people who have contracted Covid have mild responses to it, but others are more seriously affected... What doesn't help is when you have other medical problems that the Covid greatly interacts with and between the two (or more) interactions can also cause death...

Yes, you can still get the Covid even with shots, but you usually suffer to a lesser degree in many cases...

Being a historian, I have come across newspaper accounts of people reacting the same way about the major Flu pandemic of 1918-19 with much the same reactions and distrust... My Maternal Grandfather was with the Canadian Expeditionary Forces in England, but was medically discharged because of that Pandemic. I have his letter-writing kit and pay card from then.

12.22.2022, 06:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks