QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Life Crossroads
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Life Crossroads » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.26.21
  Life CrossroadsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have ever had any issues with determining your life's direction?

I feel like I've been at this point in my life for quite some time, and feel I need to make a decision before I get "too old" to start a new career. or double down on what I'm doing now.

Basically I've been pursuing an artistic path (acting/writing/directing while working a "survival job" on the side) for about 7 years off and on with some headway, but now in my early 30's I worry about the future.

If it doesn't pan out will I regret staying on this path, and potentially struggling financially, but regret not "following my heart" Or

I know I have to answer this for myself but always nice to hear other peoples stories if you have them!

10.15.2021, 05:11 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've had some points where I had to decide on things like moving countries, which was pretty hard to work out sometimes. And other times where I made a choice about things like my studies without really questioning it that much.

I'd say I can relate, since my academic direction ended up being one with pretty limited options. It wasn't scentific or technical, so a lot of higher-paying work isn't available to me, and as a language, jobs that make use of my speciality can be difficult to find and often actually need more skills and experience than I already have. It's meant that ever since I left home over 10 years ago, I've always been in a position where a bit of bad luck or unexpected expenses could land me in financial trouble, but I don't regret my choices. Actually, I often think I would've regretted other decisions that might look more "responsible" to others but would've forced me to put aside what really interests me. And now I have started getting chances to put what I've learnt to professional use, so maybe it'll even work out for me financially.

Honestly, I still have a hard time actually pushing myself to do some of the things I really like, also artistic stuff like you. For me it's only hobbies at this point in time, but I end up not putting much time and effort in, and feel like I'm making no progress and won't be able to do some of the things I dream of making. Part of it is the worry about honest self-expression - the fear of publicly being not good enough at something I claim to be passionate about. This was a bit of a digression, but I guess the point is that if you relegate your passions to "hobbies" that are sidelined by something professional you don't care about, the way you view the things you love might even be harmed.

So personally, I'd say that your current direction is a good one! If anything, I envy that you've pursued it with such determination and have even made some progress. And I guess I'd also argue that you don't need to worry about getting too old to change path... unless you're thinking of becoming a doctor or something? A lot of people change jobs all the time, so I think you should be okay.

10.16.2021, 04:38 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks Arren. It's nice to be able to read your personal experience. Yeah I can relate to a lot of what you said about not having necessarily bankable hard skills or technical abilities. Sometimes you can feel like youre investing in something with potentially no "pay off" at the end. But I guess with no risk no reward as they say.

10.16.2021, 06:39 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks, arren, you have pretty much covered anything that I might have said and I can't really add anything to your post other to say, Keep at it, follow your heart as much as possible, but keep in mind, you may HAVE to rely on 'survival' work to live, if not well, getting by... Thes I had to do a few times even with a family, but I did it...

I'm 75 now and retired and was fortunate enough to receive disability payments that came into being in my later years and that, along with my Social Security checks (that I payed into for every job that I worked) and between the two of them, I am comfortable...

As I said, just do the best you can... Give it your all, but try to take care of your health, weight-wise and all... I did stupid things like lifting things (transmissions, heavy engine parts, push-starting 35' schoolbuses by hand, by my self and NOW? My knees and back are telling me about ir... lol Plus, it is a lot harder to lose weight as you grow older... Be Wise...

Post last edited by husky51 on 10.21.2021, 03:51 PM.

10.17.2021, 09:44 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Got it, thanks for the advice Husky.

10.21.2021, 04:59 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Buta, we haven't met yet but very much relate to your post.

Life is constantly at a crossroads. And I've found for me it's mostly been matter of prioritization. What makes me happy today is important and the future will sort itself out.

Though in some cases I thought about the future where it could be mapped out. My early career aspirations would have been a big struggle and kept me from my family which would have satisfied my ambitions but probably left me pretty lonely. So I let that go and got a 'sensible' job and you know what, I Found passion for my new path.

Life and people are dynamic and I've found there are many opportunities even in so called failure. To the point that I wouldn't even call it failure. There is no right or wrong way, it's your life and you can dive into it or pivot as you feel fit. Plus we have a rapidly evolving economy and it's common for individuals to change careers even late into life so that's something.

Best of luck with whatever way you end up going

10.23.2021, 05:59 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Hi Fenkashi,

Thanks for sharing, that's actually reassuring to hear. I guess it's pretty universal to feel a bit lost in where life is going. As long as we stay awake and make conscious choices it seems like things might just work themselves out.

10.23.2021, 02:05 PM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks