QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Searching for download of original 1980s dub of Laputa: Castle In The
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Searching for download of original 1980s dub of Laputa: Castle In The » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.19.22
  Searching for download of original 1980s dub of Laputa: Castle In The Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Gyoubu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello fellow Ghibli enthusiasts. The title pretty much says it all. I have searched and searched online for the original dub of Castle in the sky to no avail. Apparently it was dubbed by an obscure company "Magnum Video Tape and dubbing" to be played on japanese flights. It was released only on the Japanese Studio Ghibli Laserdisc Collection in 1996 and on the first Region 2 DVD release in 2002, both of which are now out of print.

If anyone on gods green earth could help me find a download I would be forever grateful. I understand from reading the disney version is probably far superior, besides having an extended remastered soundtrack, and added background noise, the original was made quickly/cheaply.

However i read about a few dialogue changes that make me very interested. Ive also read that the extended score was to fill in silences the original dubbing had, which American audiences would feel awkward about...well i sometimes like things like those kinds of things.. in any case this is my favorite movie. And regardless of the disney being better, i want to see the other version of my faborite film. Please if anyone has any hints, I am on the hunt

Edit* Only a few hours of digging after posting this I found an uploaded rip of an old Japanese Laserdisc. If anyone wants the link please dm me. It took enough effort to find that I'm not sure how public they want the link..as odd as that sounds.

Post last edited by Gyoubu on 09.20.2022, 10:15 AM.

09.19.2022, 06:50 PM Gyoubu is offline   Profile for Gyoubu Add Gyoubu to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, welcome!

I had a little look myself and it is quite odd to me that the only home video sources for an English dub were Japanese releases. Anyway, I can see there are people around who have enough access to it to be able to talk about the content of the old dub, but so far no links to download it. If you're willing to shell out, I THINK this is the correct Japanese DVD as it was apparently released in 2002: https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%A4%A9%E7%A9...C256&sr=8-6

Other than that, there are some clips in this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73C_kbtx0A

09.20.2022, 04:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Gyoubu
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.19.22
  Thank youPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Gyoubu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank you so much for responding with what you could. I feel bad for making the post so hastily before finding it lol. But maybe someone else is interested. If they are feel free to pm me for the link.

09.20.2022, 10:17 AM Gyoubu is offline   Profile for Gyoubu Add Gyoubu to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No problem! I'm glad you ended up finding it after all

09.20.2022, 11:41 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks