QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Pre-Ghibli work by Miyazaki and Takahata
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Pre-Ghibli work by Miyazaki and Takahata » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Pre-Ghibli work by Miyazaki and TakahataPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been wondering recently - besides Castle of Cagliostro, which I think is pretty well-known around here, what other things has everyone seen by Miyazaki and Takahata from before they founded Studio Ghibli?

As a reminder, there are these films:
Horus, Prince of the Sun (Takahata, 1968)
Panda! Go, Panda! (two short films, Takahata director, Miyazaki writer, 1972-3)
Chie the Brat (Takahata, 1981)
Gauche the Cellist (Takahata, 1982)

And these TV series:
Lupin III first TV series (Miyazaki & Takahata after the first few episodes, 1971)
Heidi, Girl of the Alps (Takahata, 1974)
3000 Leagues in Search of Mother (also called Marco: From the Appenines to the Andes) (Takahata, 1976)
Future Boy Conan (Miyazaki, 1978)
Anne of Green Gables (Takahata, 1979)
Sherlock Hound (Miyazaki on the early episodes, 1986)

I don't remember people talking about these on the Tavern, but has anyone seen some of them?

11.08.2022, 11:24 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, the only one of these I've seen is Horus, Prince of the Sun. It was years ago, so I don't remember much about it, but I recall not liking it very much.

I'd be interested to watch Gauche the Cellist and Heidi sometime.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 11.09.2022, 06:42 AM.

11.09.2022, 06:40 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen Horus, Prince of the Sun; Heidi of the Alps; Gauche, the Cellist; Panda, go Panda; Puss n' Boots... But, as Kazasgami said, they were seen so long ago, that I cannot remember the plusses and minuses of any of them...

11.09.2022, 11:45 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.26.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No I haven't I wonder where one could find these?

11.09.2022, 12:59 PM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I've seen Horus, Prince of the Sun; Heidi of the Alps; Gauche, the Cellist; Panda, go Panda; Puss n' Boots...

Wow, you've seen quite a lot really! I didn't even think of Puss n Boots.

quote:
Originally posted by ButaPairotto
No I haven't I wonder where one could find these?

Horus and Panda Go Panda have definitely been released on DVD (maybe Blu-ray?) in English. Possibly the Lupin III TV series and Sherlock Hound too. Weirdly, Gauche was released with English subtitles but only in Japan, and Chie has no official English release. Not sure about the other TV stuff.

Other than finding those DVDs (some are probably not so easy to get hold of), I think all you could really do is find an unauthorised stream or torrent somewhere. They definitely exist for at least some of these.

11.09.2022, 01:49 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't generally promote 'pirating' DVDs, etc, But I have to admit that when I first started collecting Ghibli's, my finances and the availability of the early Ghibli's were such that I couldn't afford the high prices of them and much of my viewings/collection were bought through releases from other countries... In later years, and a movie was first released and hit the US Market, I bought those Ghibli/Disney releases...

I just now went to eBay and typed in the Heidi and Gauche titles with 'ghibli' after the titles and found both of them... Most of the prices are US$100 to 200 and up, but there are two DVDs from
So Korea more moderately priced... albeit, sometimes the quality of these are not the best...

Edit:

I do wish that Ghibli would release a collection of the Ghibli Museum 'shorts'... I would love to see them... I DO understand the 'why' of their restricting them to Museum showings, but THOUSANDS of us will never be able to visit Japan and the Ghibli Museum...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.09.2022, 05:30 PM.

11.09.2022, 05:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is a shame it's so hard to see the Ghibli Museum shorts. They're not quite so restricted anymore, now that the Ghibli Park also shows them, but it still makes it unrealistic for most people to get to see them all.

11.12.2022, 05:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Pixar released "Pixar Short Films" with 13 shorts and a bonus.. "The Pixar Shorts-- A Short History" which I have and watch periodically...

11.12.2022, 11:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Pixar shorts are generally incredible, I wonder if Ghibli shorts are as impactful?

I think I've seen one or two ghibli shorts. One about a big house if I remember.. And one called Yuki's Sun, which you can actually watch on Youtube. It's supposedly Miyazaki's first short film.

11.13.2022, 11:02 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I will check it out!!! Thank you..

11.13.2022, 12:09 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Let me know what you think!

11.13.2022, 04:49 PM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

OK... It was just under 5 minutes, but I think that I saw a Ghibli influence in the little clip... Hard to say, what with the jumping around from scene to scene... I wish that I could see the whole film that I might get a little more continuity and maybe get a fuller understanding of the story...

edit:
later this evening, I will try and watch the clip 3 or 4 more times or more and see if I can get a better feeling for/of what I am seeing...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.13.2022, 10:20 PM.

11.13.2022, 10:14 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Yuki's Sun now has a formal release! It's streaming with English (and other) subtitles on the MUBI service: https://mubi.com/en/gb/films/yukis-sun

11.03.2023, 04:27 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks