QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Hello! This looks like a cozy tavern
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Hello! This looks like a cozy tavern » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.18.23
Hello! This looks like a cozy tavernPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seyi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hello! My name is Sergio, and I'm a guy from Mexico who has a strong passion for Japanese culture. Recently, I've gotten into Ghibli movies and have been absolutely loving them!

I have spent a significant portion of my life on the internet, and as soon as I discovered this forum, I knew I wanted to sign up because it evokes the cozy feeling of forums from the early 2000s. It is remarkable that the forum remains active despite the prevalence of social media today.

I'm currently studying japanese on my own, with special focus on kanji (still a beginner though).

My first Ghibli movie was Spirited Away (no surprise there), and the last one I watched, When Marnie Was There, somehow made me cry :'). As for my favorites, I'd say Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky are definitely up there.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and let you know I'm excited to be here. I actually discovered this site a few months ago, but had trouble signing up at the time, so I'm glad to finally be here now. Looking forward to getting involved!

03.23.2023, 02:44 AM Seyi is offline   Profile for Seyi Add Seyi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Welcome! Glad you made it on here, and sorry again for the difficulties with registration. It's obviously pretty quiet on here (just hard to keep a forum like this active nowadays) but there are people who at least check in pretty regularly.

Are there any other Ghibli films you've yet to watch?

Also it's nice that you're studying Japanese! We actually have a thread on here about Japanese language. It hasn't really been in use for a while but if there's stuff you want to talk about, feel free to revive it.

03.23.2023, 07:21 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Domo, arren...

Seyi... Ohayo gozaimus... hahaha, know a few more words, but it has been too many years since my ship was homeported in Yokosuka...

Good to see you and Welcome to the Tavern...

As arren said, things are slow right now, but IMO if (no, WHEN) another Ghibli Studios movie comes out, things are likely to pick up a bit... As arren said, a number of our inactive members do pop in now and then just to see what is going on or to just say "Hi"...

Blows me away!!! I just realized that I've been a member of the Tavern for a few days over 15 years now!!!

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.02.2023, 12:35 AM.

03.23.2023, 08:20 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Seyi
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.18.23
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seyi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Welcome! Glad you made it on here, and sorry again for the difficulties with registration. It's obviously pretty quiet on here (just hard to keep a forum like this active nowadays) but there are people who at least check in pretty regularly.

Are there any other Ghibli films you've yet to watch?

Also it's nice that you're studying Japanese! We actually have a thread on here about Japanese language. It hasn't really been in use for a while but if there's stuff you want to talk about, feel free to revive it.

Thank you both! It's great to hear that there are other people here who are also interested in the language.

I still have some movies on my to-watch list, so I'm currently halfway through:

[list]
[*]The Wind Rises
[*]From Up On Poppy Hill
[*]Ocean Waves
[*]The Cat Returns
[*]My Neighbors The Yamadas
[*]Tales From Earthsea
[*]Earwig And The Witch (Should I watch this? xD)
[/list]

Do you have any recommendations on how I should go about watching the rest of them?

04.01.2023, 05:28 PM Seyi is offline   Profile for Seyi Add Seyi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Regardless of the fact that we are all Ghibli fans, our particular likes and dislikes vary, so what I am going to list, having seen all of the Ghibli movies myself, are based on my own feelings...
Ocean Waves
From up on Poppy Hill
Tales From Earthsea
The Cat Returns
The Wind Rises
My Neighbors the Yamadas
and even though it is a little different from other Ghiblis, I still enjoyed Earwig and the Witch..

Again, from the list you posted, these are MY personal favs...

Enjoy...

04.02.2023, 12:17 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Out of those, I think Poppy Hill and The Wind Rises are ones that are worth checking out sooner rather than later. But having said that, I'd recommend watching them all - and I know Earwig gets hate, but it's a fun watch if you go in with an open mind.

04.03.2023, 10:26 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks