QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Is Ponyo a love story?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Is Ponyo a love story? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 03.30.23
  Is Ponyo a love story?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PhantomTrooper Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

IMO, It’s just platonic. Even though there is some representation of young love, nothing will come of it due to them living together and technically being adopted siblings. But what do you think?

03.30.2023, 01:33 AM PhantomTrooper is offline   Profile for PhantomTrooper Add PhantomTrooper to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Personally, I don't think of "Ponyo" as being a 'love' story, but from the relationship that develops between the two kids in their adventures, I feel that in their future they will probably become a couple...

But developing friendships are nothing new in Ghibli... Look at "Kiki..."; "Whisper..."; "Ocean Waves"; "Only Yesterday"; "Spirited Away"; "Howl's..."; "Castle in the Sky"...; Porco Rocco"... "Nausicaa..." etc.

I never really thought about it until now...

03.30.2023, 04:50 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi PhantomTrooper! I'm just going to move this thread over to Ghibli Discussions.

Anyway, my feeling is that at their age (Sosuke being a kindergartener and Ponyo being... maybe a few days old?) probably not. I can see why people might think the idea is sweet, but in the film itself I'm not sure there's much basis for calling it a love story.

03.30.2023, 06:19 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks