QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Why are you called that?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Why are you called that? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
Pendragon
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.12.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pendragon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My name is from Howl's another name lol I think it's cool and I like it as well

Howl avatar made by ushitora Thanks!

06.12.2006, 07:12 AM Pendragon is offline   Profile for Pendragon Add Pendragon to your buddy list
ting
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ting Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ting is my real name, my last name out of my chinese name.
my full chinese name is Chang Yee Ting, coz i like people call me ting so i start to used it on the internet. normally i just used esther but it is too boring eventhough ting wasn't that interesting at all,well... at least better than esther.

06.22.2006, 02:10 PM ting is offline   Profile for ting Add ting to your buddy list Homepage of ting Add ting to your contact list
aviator
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aviator Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I guess mine is one of the more casual names, it's actually my profession, I'm a flight instructor at an airport near my house, and I really identify with Rosso's persona in his movie (note my avatar!), not that I go daredevling all over the place (not any more at least! ). My sig of one of my favorite princesses also has a touch of flying spirit, I guess you could say I'm somewhat interested in aviation!

By the way, cool thread Phyrra!!!!!!

Post last edited by aviator on 06.22.2006, 02:40 PM.

06.22.2006, 02:31 PM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
Toolfan1912
Forum Shutterbug

Registration Date: 06.20.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Toolfan1912 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Toolfan1912 - Well firstly most obivious im a fan of the band

WHO ROCK!!! And secondly the 1912 was actually meant to be the date a character in a dream theater concept album born on but i was actually wrong about the date but i kept it as part of my name.

06.23.2006, 04:36 AM Toolfan1912 is offline   Profile for Toolfan1912 Add Toolfan1912 to your buddy list Send an Email to Toolfan1912 Homepage of Toolfan1912
bigblackfatcat
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.09.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bigblackfatcat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My nick? Obviously I'm a cat lover. I love cats, especially black ones. And cats are cuter when they're fat. Hehe~

06.23.2006, 02:15 PM bigblackfatcat is offline   Profile for bigblackfatcat Add bigblackfatcat to your buddy list Send an Email to bigblackfatcat
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by aviator
I guess mine is one of the more casual names, it's actually my profession, I'm a flight instructor at an airport near my house... By the way, cool thread Phyrra!!!!!!

Thank you, Aviator !

What's being a flight instructor like? It sounds like a really fun job, at least for someone who likes being high the air, like me

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.24.2006, 05:59 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
aviator
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by aviator Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Aviator !

What's being a flight instructor like? It sounds like a really fun job, at least for someone who likes being high the air, like me
[/QUOTE]

Wow there's so much I could write!!!, being that I love flying, that joy is always there, and teaching (actually sometimes dealing with!) students can be really fun and satisfying but at the same time it can be pretty demanding at times, especially when there are other instructors (sometimes many others) using the same airspace to practice maneuvers you are! Then you have to pay attention to what your student's doing AND watch out for traffic like a hawk because even though you teach students traffic avoidance, you (the instructor) know they're just too busy doing the lesson maneuvers! It's not so bad when I teach takeoffs and landings because an airport traffic pattern has (or supposed to have!) an orderly flow to it with the control tower overseeing (almost!) everything and telling us what to do. I say supposed to because even then, especially at buzy airports, some people don't always pay attention (yes even I'm guilty of that)!! Actually once I get to the cross country lessons it gets a little easier(that's where the fun really starts)!

That's flight instructing in a small nutshell!! do you also fly?

Post last edited by aviator on 06.25.2006, 01:29 AM.

06.25.2006, 01:21 AM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To aviator

I envy you!! You always fly in the sky high. That's fantastic like Porco Rosso. I want to see you flying.
Hayao surely envy you as well.

Anyway, actually, I wanted to use TOTORO for my name, bucause I was born in TOTORO.
But someone else already used simillar to it. So I chose Kanta that appears in Neigbour Totoro.
[IMG]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4209/porco8jp.jpg" border=0>[/IMG]
This is a sovenir from Ghibli museum. It's flying around my computer.

06.25.2006, 10:01 AM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

... I wish I did fly Aviator...

No, I've only ever been a passenger on a plane gioing on holiday. I'm not bothered at all by hights, I actually perfer them to standard ground level...

Although, I bet me standing on a really high building is much, much different to the stuff you can do!

When I'm rich, I'm going to buy a private plane, and then learn to fly that... trouble is, until then, there isn't much opportunity to fly a plane. I could join the CCF, and go into the royal air force ~ then I could have small go. But I don't really want to have to do everything else the armed forces involves just to fly in the air...

Perhaps someone will invent a new flying machine like Nausicaa's glider!?

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

06.25.2006, 11:26 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra Perhaps someone will invent a new flying machine like Nausicaa's glider!?

There's actually a small prototype in existence in Japan.

I'd love to learn how to fly, but at a myopic 300 degrees eyesight, it's kinda impossible. Plus, I'm already somewhat a road hazard.

On the sky? You're the instructor, you imagine.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.25.2006, 11:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
shiawase
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.09.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by shiawase Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well if you're outta harms way up in the sky then no problem, the road is a different story! Speaking of which, I'm getting my motorcycle licence soon! I'm so happy!

~Akarui Tsubasa~

I will save myself from the world I created.

06.25.2006, 03:01 PM shiawase is offline   Profile for shiawase Add shiawase to your buddy list Send an Email to shiawase Homepage of shiawase
aviator
Warawara

Nausicaa glider prototype?! wow, I'd like to take a look at that! Actually the Nausicaa glider is an unstable design, especially when she lands and puts her weight far behind the wing's center of lift which at low speeds is actually moving foward a little, so you have lift force pointing up and Nausicaa's weight pointing down and at slow speeds they get farther appart making the wing flip over rather quickly (then again the engine might have an elaborate thrust directing scheme)!! A stable design would actually be just a hang glider which has the person's weight below the center of lift and always pulling the glider right side up (except when they're daredevling!!) But with computers and electronic (pretty soon electro-optic) controls nowadays, even the most inherently unstable jet fighters can be easily made extremely stable and maneuveable (yes, unfortunately not always used very wisely by governments), so it would be very interesting to see how nausicaa's real life prototype works!!

By the way, don't envy me so much guys (and gals!), I wish everytime I fly it would be just a sight seeing flight, but in reality I have a huge responsibility sitting right next to me !!!

Post last edited by aviator on 06.27.2006, 12:56 AM.

06.27.2006, 12:38 AM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
aviator
Warawara

quote:
Originally posted by Kanta
To aviator
This is a sovenir from Ghibli museum. It's flying around my computer.

Cool suvenir!! did you actually visit the museum?!

06.27.2006, 12:51 AM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To aviator

Verry Sorry, I've never been to The Museum.
I wrote about it "will haku ever come back" thread.
The Porco red plane is a souvenir my daughter bought for me.

Post last edited by Kanta on 06.27.2006, 01:29 AM.

06.27.2006, 01:28 AM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Aviator: Supposedly the prototype was able to support a small person, supposedly similar to Nausicaa's size. But then when I saw the video, it was flying via remote, so meh.

And anyway, her glider's got thrusters BELOW it (see takeoff), so I guess it's like a VTOL, able to balance itself out via gyro or something.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.27.2006, 10:15 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My username Konan is a reference to the early Miyazaki series Future Boy Conan, not my real name of course.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

06.28.2006, 08:36 AM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

I've just read the quotation for your signature, Konan ~ I love it! I'm going to memorise it, so that when I find someone who doesn't know of Studio Ghibli, I can them the quotation!

If the 'nausicaa glider' was introduced to the world market ~ think of all the acidents that would occur. Crashes, smashing into buildings, landing on people ~ the list of posisble accidents is endless...

In my opinion ~ it would be more trouble than it's worth... much more trouble...

06.28.2006, 03:14 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My name comes from (a)my love of Spirited Away, (b)I'm quite a high-spirited person and (c)I think Sen is a beautiful name!

06.28.2006, 08:36 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
aviator
Warawara

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
And anyway, her glider's got thrusters BELOW it (see takeoff)

Aaah, that's right !!! now I remember

quote:
Originally posted by Phyrra
If the 'nausicaa glider' was introduced to the world market ~ think of all the acidents that would occur. Crashes, smashing into buildings, landing on people ~ the list of posisble accidents is endless...

I agree with Phyrra, from a flight instructor's point of view, airspaces like the LA basin are already congested enough (like you wouldn't believe)!!!!! I'm pretty sure that the glider (or even the flying cars you sometimes see on Popular Mechanics magazine) would be listed under a specific category of aircraft and be subject to an entire set of regulations, including pilot certification

Post last edited by aviator on 06.30.2006, 12:36 AM.

06.30.2006, 12:34 AM aviator is offline   Profile for aviator Add aviator to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by aviator
I agree with Phyrra, from a flight instructor's point of view, airspaces like the LA basin are already congested enough (like you wouldn't believe)!!!!! I'm pretty sure that the glider (or even the flying cars you sometimes see on Popular Mechanics magazine) would be listed under a specific category of aircraft and be subject to an entire set of regulations, including pilot certification

I'm bet that you'd be one of the first people to buy a glider though, Aviator

What sort of regulations are aircraft subject to? Apart from flying into things, and landing on top of things...

06.30.2006, 03:25 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks