QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - GHIBLI CUP 2024 Discussion
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Cup » GHIBLI CUP 2024 Discussion » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  GHIBLI CUP 2024 DiscussionPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's time to start planning things out for the next Ghibli Cup! This will be the thread for any comments, questions or other discussion before and during the tournament.

Like last time, there will be qualifying rounds on Facebook, Discord and Twitter, featuring 18 films - and 9 of those will make it to the main tournament. Unlike before, only 5 qualify automatically based on their 2023 results, and the other automatic qualifiers will be the host (TBD) and Miyazaki's new film The Boy and the Heron (How Do You Live?).

The timings will be much the same as normal, with information going up some time next month, the qualifying round happening in December and the main event taking place in January-February 2024.

The first thing to decide on is the host! I'll put up a poll within the next couple of days to let you choose from a shortlist. As usual, the winner of that poll will be the theme for tournament, with a snazzy logo and an advantageous position in the group stage.

10.16.2023, 05:24 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally got the information thread posted! Take a look here for the schedule and stuff: https://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/thre...7&styleid=1

And here's the logo too!

Another thing I've been meaning to do is make a thread to round up previous years' records, but I haven't quite figured out the best way to present it yet. I would've liked to make a little table, but it doesn't seem like that's possible on the forum software... I'll try and come up with something soon though!

11.23.2023, 06:52 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am comfortable with the Tavern and Discord, but not with the former Twitter, now called X, but owned and controlled by the same man...
BUT! That is my own personal opinioin and I will make my choices to the best of my ability, using the forums that I am comfortable with...

11.28.2023, 11:24 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I totally understand how you feel! It always had its problems, but Twitter has really deteriorated under the current ownership - both in terms of the community and the actual usability of the platform. Still, there are quite a few people over there who follow the Tavern account and seem to quite enjoy it, so I want to keep that going at least until it becomes unrealistic!

And on that note, I want to point out that the qualifying polls are now active!
Anybody who wants to vote on Twitter can follow this link: https://twitter.com/GhibliTavern/status/1733162188775231996
Anybody in the Facebook group can find that poll here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Studio.G...98593930222905/
And if you aren't on the Discord server (I recommend logging in and checking first if you don't remember!) you can sign up here: https://discord.com/invite/rTpuCEH7sn

12.08.2023, 12:39 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

The qualifying polls are over! Here are the films that qualified:

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Wind Rises
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbours the Yamadas
From Up on Poppy Hill
My Neighbour Totoro
When Marnie Was There

Detailed results here: https://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/thre...59&page=1#3

Some fun surprises in there! I'm wondering whether to continue doing a poll on Facebook next year though... I get the impression not many people get to see it, and it's also hard to make sure people understand and follow the rules (one person ended up voting for too many but I let it slide because none of those individual votes ended up changing the top 3), partly because Facebook doesn't actually make it clear that you can have multiple votes! So yeah, we'll see about that one.

12.16.2023, 06:20 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
arren18
Administrator

I did the draw for next month's main tournament! The groups will be as follows:

DARUMA GROUP
Pom Poko
Only Yesterday
Grave of the Fireflies
The Wind Rises

MANEKINEKO GROUP
Spirited Away
When Marnie Was There
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
My Neighbours the Yamadas

KITSUNE GROUP
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbour Totoro
From Up on Poppy Hill

SHACHIHOKO GROUP
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Boy and the Heron

12.17.2023, 05:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks