QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...    »  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It really sucks knowing exactly how bad all-nighters are for you. Stupid cell bio.

11.19.2010, 06:16 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

UGGH!
I hate my stomach! stupid pain... it's unbearable! i can't sleep at night. I need to go see a doctor... no medical insurance... >.<!!!Some of the worst days of my life.
sorry to complain. but AGH! so much pain! ..... ....... gosh. this is soooo uncomfortable.. i just puked and it made my stomach burn. and hurt. and my aching lower back... ugh.

Post last edited by jusomekid on 11.24.2010, 11:58 PM.

11.24.2010, 10:26 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Jusomekid, I don't know how old you are, but you need to see a damn doctor IMMEDIATELY!!!

Most ER's will at least look at you. Worry about the bills later. It has been that way sometimes with my life and family. What is more important? Your health or money? It could be appendisitis or kidney stones, could be anything... And puking is the body's way of dealing with major, acute pain... I know that much for sure...

Good luck, guy and BIG HUGS to ya...

NOW GO!!!

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.25.2010, 09:45 AM.

11.25.2010, 12:11 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
laazd,
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.27.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

waaaaaaaah , 15cm of snow tonight :'(

11.25.2010, 01:41 AM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hoping that jusomekid went to seek medical help.... concerned... But won't be online again until Friday noon or so...

11.25.2010, 09:46 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I need new socks. or new shoes. or go somewhere where neither are required..

11.25.2010, 08:18 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I. WANT. TO. SLEEP.

But I can't.

11.26.2010, 12:20 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F2GYqgmd...ature=topvideos

...of all the ways to get a bus off the train tracks.

I can't believe this was only 2 days ago! Now it's at freezing and feels like a Chinook is coming in.

11.26.2010, 12:48 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, as a former bus driver and bus mechanic, I can relate to this... lol Having to go on breakdown roadcalls, etc. You never know just what you'll find until you get there...

In this case, once the front bus is clear of the tracks, back bus move out of the way, jack up the rear of the front bus, one side should be enough, crawl under and uncage the emergency brakes... then CAREFULLY move the bus, remember, no brakes at all now!

I remember once up in the mountains, heavy snowfall and the roads were icy. I was having a fuel problem with a bus and at one point I had to uncage the emer. brakes. We got it over to the side of the road and got it started again. I asked the driver, "Your pressure is up, are the parking brakes released?". He shouted back, "Yes!", so I adjusted the brakes. I then got behind the wheel and started down the mountain with the bus driver in my service van. (I was more experienced in the mountains) As I got onto the first major downgrade, I realized that the brakes were not working right.

Turns out the driver had been WRONG! The brakes were improperly applied while I was adjusting them, which I couldn't tell from underneath. Luckily I finally got the empty bus stopped after about a half-mile of downgrade that leveled out a bit.

After calming down and refraining from throttling the damn driver, I got them adjusted right and the rest of the ride down was more or less uneventful...

Before I had become a mechanic on the buses, I was coming down from Big Bear with a load of elementary school kids and lost the brakes almost completely... Again, luckily I was able to finally slow down enough to stop. In a situation like that, it is assinine to try and downshift, because if you miss the gear, you're in worse shape...

=======================================

Hoping jusomekid got looked at...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.26.2010, 05:41 PM.

11.26.2010, 05:18 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
jusomekid
Ohmu

Registration Date: 06.21.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by jusomekid Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm still alive. Hmm.. this time i took different antacids, and more of it.. Maloox or something like that. took it before i ate instead of after.. most pains went away.. so i'm hoping it goes away... but i'm fine now.

11.26.2010, 07:26 PM jusomekid is offline   Profile for jusomekid Add jusomekid to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

quote:
Originally posted by jusomekid
I'm still alive. Hmm.. this time i took different antacids, and more of it.. Maloox or something like that. took it before i ate instead of after.. most pains went away.. so i'm hoping it goes away... but i'm fine now.

I'm glad you're okay! My soci teacher had this story about the horrors of not having insurance and having to go the emergency room...

@Husky: lol, this one had the opposite problem...the air brakes were stuck in brake mode. xP I suppose it's better than no brakes. xD

11.26.2010, 08:42 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

That is what I meant, actually. When the air brake system drops below 60 psi (normally between 110-120psi), the rear brakes go into emergency mode, so to speak and the rear brakes lock up, literally. The only way to release them is to resupply the air to back up over 60 psi again, either from an independent air supply such as a big rig tow truck or by restarting the engine and building up the air again.

The ONLY other way is to take a caging bolt and screw it into the back of the brake can (or chamber) (2 of them) and compress the massive spring that is holding the brakeshoes applied. This is a standard safety item on ALL air brake vehicles in the US and Canada. And probably in other countries as well in one form or another.

Prior to going out on the road each day, a standard safety inspection includes, in part, pumping the air down until the brakes lock up. Again, this should occur at about 55-60psi. As a former schoolbus driver, schoolbus mechanic and an vehicle safety inspector for the Calif Hwy Patrol, I have done this test hundreds, if not thousands, of times...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.27.2010, 03:34 AM.

11.27.2010, 03:30 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, wow, this reminds me so much of two days ago when I was designing brakes. Yeah, when they fail, they're designed to fail "on", since it's usually better to have the brakes stuck on than to not be able to use them at all...

I guess they're not supposed to fail when you're on a train track.

I hope they got that thing out of the way! They must be really pressured for time, or else they'd have gotten a tow truck or at least lifted up the wheels. I hate to think of what ramming would do to the bus!

11.27.2010, 04:37 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

It looked like an inner city bus and from the camera in the cockpit of the train, it looked like they had the time thing under control. BTW, lightly (more or less ( ) bumping the other vehicle like that wouldn't usually cause any probs... The bumpres are mounted directly to the frame rails and there is a lot of strength there.

11.27.2010, 11:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Haha Husky's right. It was just out of downtown and the only real problem was that the trains were put on hold.

And yesterday, I learned that the trains in Vancouver don't have drivers!

11.27.2010, 05:54 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, that's funny. I'm always surprised when I go somewhere else and get on a train that does have a driver.

11.28.2010, 12:21 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Trains without drivers.... eh! lol

A couple of years ago we had a commuter train wreck down here west of LA where the engineer was actualling texting just before he ran his train into the back of a stopped freight train. Some deaths occured. No cell calls or texting is permitted on the trains, at least in the cab.

AND, since there are no drivers, it must have been a passenger recording...

dang, I sure are intelligint... lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.28.2010, 04:33 AM.

11.28.2010, 04:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Oh no, no drivers in Vancouver. Calgary trains definitely have drivers. My friend was telling me how she was on the skytrain and it was really freaky because you can sit right at the front with the window looking out.

And the slacking off problem would be the same, because I'm thinking people are running the trains from some control center?

Random thought of the day? Why do Disney movies make me cry? Even with all their cliches and stereotypes...and the plain old cheesiness? Gah.

11.28.2010, 08:05 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

I think they're mostly computer-controlled, but I'm sure there are humans in a control center somewhere ready to take over if something goes wrong.

And Disney movies make us cry because they've narrowed their art into a science.

11.28.2010, 04:52 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

I wonder if the world will go out with a bang or a whimper.

Oh Eliot, why must you be so depressingly brilliant?

12.04.2010, 10:52 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
[  «    ...  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks