QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  117  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I don't think I was aware of that. Well then, I hope that's all it is and we'll hear from him again soon.

03.30.2019, 05:13 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky the all knowing thanks for the update!

03.30.2019, 06:38 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OOOoooeeeooooOOOOooooooeeeooooooOOOOOOO!

ghostly sounds of all knowing...

03.30.2019, 02:32 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

After looking after my friend's parents' spaniels for three days, I am now deeply appreciative of the quiet, calm, collected nature of my own dogs. Those nuts were driving me up the wall. Couldn't so much as shut the bathroom door on them without them barking and scratching to get in. Had to let them sleep on my bed or I'd never get to sleep for the whining. Just dreadful. But I suppose that's what happens when you never leave your dogs on their own.

My Anime List

04.01.2019, 10:47 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ugh, I'm annoyed about spam on the Facebook page. Even before this, recently it's felt a bit like other people are swamping it and making it harder to use the group for its intended purpose. I wonder if it might be worth updating the rules to be stricter about that.

04.04.2019, 10:08 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
Ugh, I'm annoyed about spam on the Facebook page. Even before this, recently it's felt a bit like other people are swamping it and making it harder to use the group for its intended purpose. I wonder if it might be worth updating the rules to be stricter about that.

But at the same time there is like no ghibli related news at the time. So there has to be something to discuss about, what do you think? I mute the people who spam or self-promote. If you have any constructive suggestion please share. We have to keep in mind that in Tavern we know each other for years, so we more or less know what each other like and dislike. But in the facebook thats not the case also most of the people are unaware of many ghibli related facts.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.05.2019, 04:00 AM.

04.05.2019, 03:58 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In the historical forum that I joined a while back, there was a lot of spamming going on. even grocery markets and smog service repairmen. I asked politely, but all I got was "Hey, people have a right to know where these services are available"... I finally was able to find the site owner and asked her if there was any way that she could control it. She said that she would look into it. ( I think that I've told this story in here before) The next thing I know, some time had passed and I went online at the fb page and was being congratulated and I'm thinking, Huh???

The owner came up and said, I probably should have asked you first, but you are now the administrator of the page... WHAT!!! She also appointed another person as one as well. So, the first thing that I did was eliminate ALL adverts and announcements and anything that was not historically related to our area. I'd give a warning and if they continued to violate the rules that I have posted in the description, they were banned and blocked. The other admin had a difference of opinion with a poster and decided to quit. She is still in the forum, but I am now the only admin. I would check in with the owner now and then if I felt that I might be stepping beyond what I should be doing (being a tyrant, lol) but was told to just keep on with what I was doing. I even changed the applications to include one simple question, "Why do you want to join?" no answer, deleted! If I felt that they were just trying to log into as many sites as possible, I blocked them. Every once in a while, I get a 'report' (like today) a member posted about a video of a bunch of Labrador puppies and another one of a man's family kids... I have to look into and either just delete the post or delete and block the poster.

04.05.2019, 05:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The issue is quite complicated in the Facebook Forum. We have so many threads in Tavern which we can use to discuss different topics. There is no such thing in the Facebook. I dont see the most of the posts as spam. I delete the spams where i can, also arren and roar has admin access so they can do too.

Do you guys think Requiring Mandatory Membership in the Tavern is a good idea? We can do like you need to be a member of tavern for at least a week. Do you guys think then the quality of posts will improve?

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.05.2019, 01:16 PM.

04.05.2019, 01:15 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

I don't know, saviour, really...

Forced membership, IMO, ts never a good thing in my mind...

I wish that I could offer an alternative, but I just don't know...

04.05.2019, 04:17 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I wish that I could offer an alternative, but I just don't know...

Yeah me too. For the time being deleting overtly annoying posts is the only way it seems to me.

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.06.2019, 04:40 AM.

04.06.2019, 04:39 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I don't think requiring membership here is the answer, when there are already so many people there who aren't members. And I also understand saviour's point that there isn't much to talk about these days in a Ghibli group.

From what husky said about his forum, I think the solution is to be clearer and stricter about existing rules. So maybe I'll add more detail to the rules, and another thing might be to reject people who don't answer the sign-up questions. We should make more use of those to screen out people who seem likely to misuse the group.

04.06.2019, 06:09 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I have had people with fake names such, making this one up as an example, 'pukingfilth'. those get automatically not only deleted, but banned as well. Or if someone is a member of many hundreds of groups to which they belong, I make the determination that they are merely trying to join as many as possible just for the count...

In the forum description, the very first line is about answering the one question.

04.07.2019, 12:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Thank you Husky and Arren for the comments.

We should write a post on the group regarding our decisions.

NB: the decisions being stricter application of the existing rules.

04.07.2019, 05:30 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Phew... Seems like I've been busy as heck around here lately, hardly any time to check in here even. Which is unusual for me... Between going to meetings, Veteran Appreciation events, like dinner last night at a local High School served and provided by the Air Force JR ROTC troop at the school. Went with two on my Navy buddies and met some people there that I haven't seen for quite a while...

Took them out to a hiking spot last week then sat and read my book for a few hours. Even got out and hiked a short distance myself... Just so many different things that I am dealing with. But it keeps me active and that is a good thing, both mentally and physically (somewhat, lol).

Anyway, Hi all, breakfast calls...

04.14.2019, 01:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

'creak' 'creak' 'creak
'

(the sound of a lone cricket in an empty warehouse)

Right now, I just don't know what to say... A big surprise for me is a lack of anything to say, offhand. Yeah, yeah, I know...total shock!..lol

All I've got at the moment is that I'm working hard on history stuff about my City and surrounding area. Just received an invite to dinner on Sunday (Easter)...

Going to a family wedding on Saturday... Renewing their vows after 10 yrs.

Meeting up on Friday with a person that I knew when she was a child. She has something of her Mother's that she is donating to our City's history collection. Her mother was somewhat of a historical figure here in our city.

04.17.2019, 11:01 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Sounds nice!

Sorry, I haven't had a lot to say either. I'm busy again with my translation course and with work.

04.18.2019, 04:28 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey y'all. I'm getting frustrated at work lately and I feel like my base school is worried about me for some reason. It's driving me a bit up the wall. First, they kept telling me I need to talk more with the other teachers and students. Students I understand, but it's a lot harder for me to start conversations in Japanese with my coworkers unless they come to me first. I expressed this to them. That's been improving a bit..

I got moved to primarily teaching a different year than I'm used to, and although I know my students they've never been taught by my main coworker. So that's been.. interesting. He's a great teacher but I feel like he's not a very easy person to follow. lol We work pretty well together and it's obvious to the students we get along really great.

Main English teacher has expressed worry about me feeling bored at work, and is concerned I might become depressed or feel I'm not being utilized enough. At first I was feeling a bit paranoid that maybe the staff feel like I'm not doing enough, but now it seems it's more about them worrying if I'm alright.

I've also had one teacher tell me he wants to bring me to classes more often but doesn't want to just use me as a tape recorder. I don't really mind being a tape recorder, I just wish I could get to know more of my students/classes. My relationship with my students at my main visit school is so much better, but I usually have an even amount of time with all of my students there.

04.19.2019, 11:28 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

This is a good documentary by PBS that represents how the new cold war is coming

IMHO everyone should watch it, it will certainly inform you about future events those are going to happen

https://youtu.be/4_xQ5JisFuo

I actually support trump on this. US overlord is certainly better than China overlord

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.17.2019, 01:51 PM.

05.17.2019, 01:49 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
it's a lot harder for me to start conversations in Japanese with my coworkers unless they come to me first.

why so?

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

05.23.2019, 06:32 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by makc
quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
it's a lot harder for me to start conversations in Japanese with my coworkers unless they come to me first.

why so?

They usually look busy so I don't want to interrupt them. My Japanese isn't good enough yet to really start conversations about random things.

I got a new school in the new school year and I like the staff there quite a lot. The teacher I sit beside used to live in Peru and can speak English and Spanish. One guy used to teach Japanese in Russia so he usually starts the most conversations with me and acts things out if I don't understand what he's asking me. They're very laidback and friendly there.

05.30.2019, 08:52 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
[  «    ...  117  118  119  120  121  122  123  124  125  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks