QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Post your random thoughts here! Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  129  130  131  132  133  134    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by toriforiumu
I'll watch Whisper of the Heart this weekend!

Enjoy!

05.31.2023, 04:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
I'll watch Whisper of the Heart this weekend!

Enjoy!

Likewise, I'm sure...

05.31.2023, 06:57 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I mentioned sometime in the past that I missed watching Sumo...

I finally found a Japanese site that I could access (NHK) and was able to watch quite a few matches this afternoon... I didn't catch which day of the Tournament it was, but it was part of a two week Match...

The it went to an English language discussion about the Fukushima release of contaminated water into the open ocean...

09.11.2023, 08:31 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
toriforiumu
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.23.23
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by toriforiumu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

random thought (ᗒᗜᗕ)՛̵̖

I really like this forum, I like how much of a community it feels like here! I think I'll post more often after school and give general updates! I would really appreciate it if anyone wanted to have conversations or something haha I'm kinda awkward and shy, but I really like how comfortable I feel posting here.(≧ヮ≦) ANYWAYS! another random thought/question, what's the best flavor of ice cream?

09.11.2023, 10:48 PM toriforiumu is offline   Profile for toriforiumu Add toriforiumu to your buddy list AIM Screenname: miu YIM Screenname: miu
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey toriforiumu! Please feel free to post as much as you like. It tends to be pretty quiet here but usually somebody will be around to join in.

Now for your question... I guess I tend to go for chocolate ice cream, or something with chocolate in it. But honestly I like most flavours.

09.12.2023, 03:52 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

toriforiumu, Welcome to the Tavern... As arren said, it has been pretty quiet around the neighborhood these day, but we are anticipating that with the overall release of "How Do You Live", that activity will pick up... We will just have to wait and see...

As to your question, I like most flavors of ice cream but tend to favor Vanilla (unless I feel in the mood for a Banana Split) lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.12.2023, 11:25 AM.

09.12.2023, 11:21 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
toriforiumu
Kodama

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by toriforiumu Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like chocolate and vanilla 2! but my favorite has 2 be blackberry in the summer

09.13.2023, 11:45 PM toriforiumu is offline   Profile for toriforiumu Add toriforiumu to your buddy list AIM Screenname: miu YIM Screenname: miu
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I mentioned sometime in the past that I missed watching Sumo...

Again, watched more of the Grand Sumo competition. and after, watched a couple of programs on NHK, including one about a Japanese entertainment known as 'Rakugo' (storytelling with one narrator acting all the characters in the story, through voice and mivements) and went on to a number of other non-Japanese people who moved to Japan from their home countries, learning to speak fluent Japanese and working at jobs that were usually held by Japanese... It was quite entertaining...

edit: rephrasing of some text...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.15.2023, 10:22 PM.

09.15.2023, 10:16 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

If you found the stuff about rakugo interesting, I would recommend watching the anime series Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. You get a real feel for what it's all about, and the lifestyles of traditional entertainers in (if I remember right) the 50s or 60s.

09.16.2023, 04:36 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I was taken by seeing the distinct changes by this narrator, kneeling on a small platform in front of his audience, dressed in a robe and no other costume, changing from one character to another is seconds... and you BELIEVED you were listening to the different character, and he is changing back and forth with no seeming effort!

Thanks, arren, I will check it out...

09.16.2023, 11:34 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
toriforiumu
Kodama

i’m trying to learn korean/japanese as I am half korean and half japanese, id like to travel someday to both places, has anyone visited korea/japan and how was it? are there certain must sees i should take into account?

09.25.2023, 11:00 PM toriforiumu is offline   Profile for toriforiumu Add toriforiumu to your buddy list AIM Screenname: miu YIM Screenname: miu
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, I'd love to give you some tips, tori, but when I was in Japan it was back in '66 and '67 and I'm sure that things have change quite a bit by now... The only amusement park I went to was Disneyland, the Japanese one... , I watched the western TV show 'Bonanza' in Japanese with no subtitles... I couldn't understand a word they said, but it was funny listening to Hoss Cartwright speaking in a high-pitched, rapid Nihongo (Japanese)...

I did get to do a number of things that others on my ship couldn't do... My stepdad and I were both on the same Navy ship, homeported in Yokosuka and we had a house out in Hayama-Kokusai...My Mother and little sister were there with us and the family Ford Mustang was there as well... I still have my Japanese Drivers License, Since I had a home to go to, I was allowed what was called Permenant overnight liberty. Any day that I didn't have the duty, I didn't have to be aboard ship every night like my shipmate's were required to be...

The rules at the time were that we US Military had to be off the streets by midnight and aboard our ship or duty station by 1AM... With the freedom that I had, I would sometimes ride a train to someplace I had never been to before and get off and wander around the town, eating, visiting the local bars using what little Jaoanese that I had picked up, just talking and laughing with the people I met... Sometimes spending the night in that town...

Met a High School guy on the train home one afternoon and we started talking and became friends... We climbed Mt Tskuba-san or tried to, but chickened out and rode the cable car... lol His parents owned a rice farm just outside of Tokyo and they invited my family to spend the weekend, which was interesting... Mitio was the only one in his family who spoke English and my little sister who was 9 years old, was the only one in our family who had learned enough Japanese to be able to hold a conversation of sorts,,, lol I loved my time over there''' But, like I said, this was in 1966-67...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.26.2023, 03:59 AM.

09.26.2023, 03:48 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

quote:
i’m trying to learn korean/japanese as I am half korean and half japanese, id like to travel someday to both places, has anyone visited korea/japan and how was it? are there certain must sees i should take into account?

I've been to both! I was in Korea for a very short time, so there's a limit to what I can say about that. I lived in Japan for a few years though, and I did quite a bit of travelling, so actually there's maybe too much for me to narrow it down. What kind of things interest you? I'm sure I could come up with some tips.

09.26.2023, 06:25 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
toriforiumu
Kodama

I like ghibli as evident lol… but i also really like cute stationary, nature, history, museums, blind bags/gacha machines, stores that sell cute homeware/plushies/stationary, and desserts!

specifically japan id like to buy a lot of anime/manga merch that is more available in japan as a lot of US popular animes im not entirely interested in, i also like sanrio a lot too! my main focus for japan is to shop but i’d also love to do any fun events

Korea id like to do less shopping and more sight seeing, specifically historical/nature areas.

I also really love vintage sanrio/anime stuff

09.27.2023, 12:55 AM toriforiumu is offline   Profile for toriforiumu Add toriforiumu to your buddy list AIM Screenname: miu YIM Screenname: miu
arren18
Administrator

If you want to get anime/manga stuff, I'd say you have to go to Akihabara in Tokyo - as you probably already knew. Nakano Broadway and Ikebukuro are other decent options in Tokyo for that kind of thing, or if you're in the Osaka area, I'd recommend Nipponbashi in Osaka or San Plaza in Kobe. I also think your best bet is often not to go for shops like Animate that sell the latest stuff, but instead to check out second-hand shops like Mandarake and Suruga-ya.

For historical sites, Kyoto is the classic choice (and if you like desserts then I recommend a cafe called Karafuneya!), but in the same kind of area there's also Nara, or Kinosaki Onsen if you want somewhere a bit cosier. I can give more specific recommendations about that general area too, since that's where I used to live. For nature, you'd probably want to get away from the urban hubs, so I'd suggest areas like Gifu, or some smaller islands like Awaji.

And I suppose there's also the Ghibli Museum and the new Ghibli Park!

In Korea I've only been to Seoul, but if you want to see historical things there, I think it's worth going to the old palace Gyeongbokgung and the traditional village area Bukchon. I'm not sure those are very unique suggestions though.

09.27.2023, 01:17 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Oh, MY! I can't hardly believe it... I found the Benny Hill show!!!! Now if I could only find the "Rowan and Martin Laugh In" show... You bet your Bippy, I'd be happy... That would be the 'Flying Fickle Finger of Fate' pointing me in the right direction, for sure! lol

10.01.2023, 12:52 AM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

I just found out two surprising things!!!

One is that I'm older than Kitty Litter!!! It was developed/invented in 1947!!!

The other thing is the chairnsaw! This is from over-in your neck of the woods (so to speak) Invented by two Scottish Doctors... To assist in childbirth, of all things!!!

Much later developed for use on trees...

If you don't think this is appropriate in here, go ahead and delete it, arren...

11.21.2023, 10:39 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Pretty much anything is appropriate in here If nobody's starting fights or trying to sell something, it's all good!

I seem to remember learning somewhere else that cat litter is a surprisingly recent invention. Weird to imagine some of these things being new ideas.

11.22.2023, 07:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

If a woman was having trouble with birthing a large child or one with an enlarged head, the saw was used to help remove some bone or cartilage from the pelvic bone to slightly widen the birth canal...

The device helped save the lives of a number of women and children...

Post last edited by husky51 on 11.22.2023, 12:31 PM.

11.22.2023, 12:23 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Scanning the NHK channel last night, found an hour long show about FEMALE SUMO wrestlers!!! Never knew before that women pareticipated in this sport! They trained in the same dojo as the male trainees, often competing and training with and against them... the only difference being that the women competed clothed with the sumo belt over ther clothing, while the men trained in the normal attire, ie, just the belt...

11.27.2023, 01:27 PM husky51 is online   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  129  130  131  132  133  134    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks