QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  126  127  128  129  130  131  132  133  134    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks, Kaz... I'll check it out... But it is such a l-o-o-o-g time to wait... lol

04.25.2021, 11:47 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
KaliAce
Kodama

Registration Date: 01.05.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by KaliAce Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
I think I can help a bit with this. First, the general cost of living in Japan is higher than a lot of other countries, so that also means that you can expect a different salary there. And even in Japan, Tokyo is definitely more expensive than other places, but again salaries will vary, and a lot of companies offer an extra stipend for people working in Tokyo, since rent costs a lot more.

I'd say the apartment you've picked sounds really expensive. When I lived in Japan, I had a bigger place than that for like half the price. But I lived in a suburb of Osaka, whereas that apartment seems to be in fairly central Tokyo (note that I don't know Tokyo so well, so I'm not sure which places are more or less expensive). Maybe that's normal for where it is.

In Whisper of the Heart, Shizuku's family live in a more residential area, and I think it's pretty far away from downtown Tokyo. People who can't get a place close to work will often commute from areas like that, so you could probably get more for your money there. It was also the 90s. I wouldn't expect their home was nearly as expensive as the apartment you've found.

So do I think they're rich or poor? Their home isn't very big considering they have two daughters, so that makes me think they aren't that rich. On the other hand, the mother can afford to go to graduate school and Shizuku's sister is at university, so I think they must be reasonably well-off. On balance... maybe slightly above average?

I agree, the cost of living in Japan is really high. Even the foods are expensive

04.26.2021, 01:32 PM KaliAce is offline   Profile for KaliAce Add KaliAce to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Quite an Interesting Discussion, dont want to start any debate but would be happy if any of you have some opinion. My opinion is that i mostly agree with the discussion. I think

1. Equality of opportunity is an important thing to attain while equality of outcome is not
2. There is a fundamental problem of wealth equality in free market economy however it is part of what makes it efficient. So UBI is a good thing but can be debatable. But something needs to be done regarding wealth equality
3. Human being have innate ability to become exceptionally evil, so people should be aware of the situation that it does not happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G59zsjM2UI

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

05.09.2021, 08:16 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm losing a coworker I really enjoyed teaching with to toxic work culture at my school. She's currently on leave but has told me she plans on quitting. I'm pretty bummed because I was happy to have a coworker who actually treated me like a person and friend at that school. I don't like the way her leaving has been treated, and it's kind of making me consider looking for a new teaching job for next year.

I really love my area and could probably get a longterm direct hire job but I'm also worried if I stay here permanently I'm going to be permanently single. lol Most guys here are unwilling to even try dating me because I don't live close enough to them, and the guys in my area are... questionable. I think dating in Japan has been the worst part of my time here.

05.09.2021, 08:23 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm so sorry to hear that, FFF, on all counts... I can only hope that things will improve in the near future... and Yeah, follow your instincts... If a little voice is saying 'questionable', then quite likely they are.

That aside (not to belittle it) It is a distinct pleasure to see you again... With any luck, her replacement will be a friend with you as well, but from your comments on the atmosphere of your work site, that doesn't seem likely.

As far as the Dating and "Permanently single" aspect, hang in there young lady, you are still young and have many years ahead with many possible things that could come, seemingly out of nowhere, that will put you in touch with a person that genuinely has feelings for you as a young woman of character. In the meantime, try to hang in there ad who knows, possibly a new work area WOULD be a nice change that you might like... Regardless of your decision, remember, we are all pulling for you and wishing you the best.

I can best use my own sister as an example... After a bad ending with her first marriage after what seemed like heaven to her, HE changed and stepped out... She divorced him and swore off believing in MEN in general, that they were only out to take what they could get, etc... Then, in her late 30's, she met Bob, and she has been on a cloud ever since and knowing my sister as well as I do, she truly IS happy...

All I am saying is, don't be too sure of the 'Permanence' in your future, just don't rush in... LOVE YA, Young'n from (I'm sure) all of us here in the Tavern... Good Luck, Be Happy and above all else, in all things, BE SAFE...

05.09.2021, 02:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Will we see the Israel problem solve in our lifetime?

Not sure.

Some analysts are saying Israel is trying to erase Palestine before China becomes Superpower. As there is is huge chance that US is going fall out economically day by day and cant give it billions each year.

Another analogy is Arab population inside Israel is increasing day by they include Arab Jew, Cristian and Muslim people(20% right now). They are treated the same way in South Africa (apartheid). Due to these people it has been quite difficult to gain majority for the Zionist group in Israel.

Which ever it is its quite sad to see innocent people die left and right in this world. Hopefully we or the future generation can solve this without World War III or Nuclear Annihilation

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.19.2021, 01:23 PM.

05.18.2021, 11:01 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Unfortunately, I think that a lot of that will depend on China, Russia, and North Korea...

I really don't think that the US wants another WW... China is already stating that its Army can defeat the American Army and encroaching on Philippine waters...
I hope that none of it happens...

Post last edited by husky51 on 05.18.2021, 09:25 PM.

05.18.2021, 09:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Unfortunately, I think that a lot of that will depend on China, Russia, and North Korea...

I really don't think that the US wants another WW... China is already stating that its Army can defeat the American Army and encroaching on Philippine waters...
I hope that none of it happens...

I totally agree with you.

So sad that Humanity never learn from history.

05.19.2021, 12:13 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

And... Not an immediate effect, to be sure, but for the future... I have read that China had dropped the restriction of one child per family and increased it to 3 children per family... With their massive population already, I can only think of one possible reason for this massive increase in their population within the next 16-20 years and that is to increase the base for a possible increase for their armed forces ... I hope that I'm wrong, but why else this sudden change after many decades of the single child restriction... This combined with increased over flights in Taiwan, and encroaching in on Philippine waters and other waters around the world...

I hate to be a pessimist, but this is how I see the reasoning behind this...

06.22.2021, 06:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

The reason is old age Husky.

Chinese people are growing old similar to japan and korea so they need young people to keep the economy booming

one child policy was a catastrophe. Now their population is shrinking. However it wont work as there is no benefit plus cost of bringing up children is huge.

So i think they will forced it upon their population. which most probably will be another catastrophe.

The reasons why in other countries it does not happen that much is

1. There is no population control measures
2. there is a healthy dose of immigration although many nationalist people dont like it

This is a well known phenomena is Europe as well. However they are not worried as they dont want to become powers or super powers. But it is affecting their economy

06.25.2021, 03:57 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

YIKES!!!

I thought that temps of 49c were bad where I live down here in Southern California.

THEN I heard abt the Temp way up North in Lytton, British Columbia, Canada about 100K north of Vancouver was up to 49.5c...!

IN CANADA!!!

06.30.2021, 02:47 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
poncholumps
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.23.20
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by poncholumps Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Anyone here following the Tokyo Olympics?

08.12.2021, 08:13 AM poncholumps is offline   Profile for poncholumps Add poncholumps to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Over now, but for me, pretty much just what I saw on news shows...

Didn't understand the problem with the Women's beach Volleyball team, iirc, that was chastised for desiring to wear shorts, like the men do, but the IOC insisted on bikini bottoms... I didn't understand how that would affect their athletic ability???

Post last edited by husky51 on 08.12.2021, 11:08 AM.

08.12.2021, 11:01 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't end up watching any of it, but I did look at the headlines a little bit. It was never on at good times of day for me to see it, and I don't watch much live TV anyway.

08.12.2021, 01:26 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Like you, I didn't watch any of it fully, but caught bits and pieces of
it while channel hopping...
And regardless of my personal lack of interest, I am glad for ALL
of the athletes, regardless of Country... Win or lose, it is a great
honor to their ability to even be selected to compete..

08.12.2021, 03:13 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wishing a very happy birthday to you, Husky! Hope you've enjoyed your day

My Anime List

09.08.2021, 03:18 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, happy birthday husky!!

09.08.2021, 06:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Thank You Kaz and arren... today was just a normal day except for the mass of FB, texts and emails lol

I am told to show up at my relatives place this Saturday at abt 3pm... a big surprise, was asked what foods and drink I preferred, I said the rarest 'Caviar and Russian Vodka!!!' by which they know that I am joking... (They may provide a small jar of fish egg bait... lol)

09.08.2021, 10:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Belated Happy Birthday Husky.

Hope you enjoyed the stay at your relatives.

09.09.2021, 03:08 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

Random Thoughts:

I think us Millenials are not getting stable in their late 20s. For example i have a preety good job still i need to worry all the time regarding job security thinking about better jobs better salary savings etc. I found most of my peers are doing the same changing jobs moving countries for better salary better opportunities. To me its either the Jobs today are very demanding or we are very demanding regarding what we want. In most good paying jobs Job Security is zero and there is almost no retirement benefits. You need to save up from the salary. In some lower paying jobs or govt jobs there is some facilities but in many cases those are boring or too low salary to live a good life. The most strange aspect is the cost of buying a house only 10-15 years ago it was 20-30 times your monthly salary of a average job. Now it is 60-100 times the salary even if the salary is 20 times more(i know because i have a group where we are trying to buy land). I think it is getting quite difficult to find stability in life. It makes me wonder how it will continue. An average person works for 25-30 years, maybe more in our case as life expectency will be higher. I am not sure if we can cope up with this high expectation high pressure env for another 25 years.

To me there are not actually that many alternatives
1. Have a govt job -> most are not interested
2. Entrepreneurship -> Unless your product is a hit this one is even more stressful
3. Freelance/Alternative Career -> Freelance is good but luck dependent. Alternative Career like Youtube/Content Creation is luck dependent as well also you need to actually like the niche that you will work on
4. Investment -> Difficult to navigate, luck dependent and Cash flow needed
5. Alternative income -> Make one of your hobbies generate income for you. works only if it is photography, painting etc creative stuff
6. Reduce Expectation -> This one i tried to think about a lot. This sounds more like giving up.
Right now happiness seems super complicated to me on one hand i like what i do however there is huge amount of pressure. But there i am not seeing a lot of ways to continue doing that without pressure as my industry is extremely competitive.
Living with constant stress/pressure seems to be a path that many of us Millenials are going to pick. Not sure if this is a good scenario for us mentally or physically.

09.09.2021, 03:14 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    ...  126  127  128  129  130  131  132  133  134    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks