QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  123  124  125  126  127  128  129  130  131  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
All I can say in response to both Kaz and saviour is that not ALL police depts are guilty on these violations of human rights...

True, but enough of them are. The fact is that there is clearly an issue, and that ethnic minorities disproportionately suffer as a result. And after many individual scandals, there isn't much evidence that it's getting better.

People are protesting because they're frustrated and want to really deliver a message. I think everyone would prefer for problems to be solved without resorting to extreme measures, but considering the fact that peaceful protests have achieved so little, it's inevitable that some of the many, many protesters will behave violently. This is especially true when law enforcement ramps up their response to protesters, and when the guy supposed to be looking after the country keeps fanning the flames.

06.03.2020, 02:22 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
This is especially true when law enforcement ramps up their response to protesters, and when the guy supposed to be looking after the country keeps fanning the flames.

I agree with the quote 100%...

06.03.2020, 04:42 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
This is especially true when law enforcement ramps up their response to protesters, and when the guy supposed to be looking after the country keeps fanning the flames.

I agree with the quote 100%...

Somehow this posted twice...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.03.2020, 04:44 AM.

06.03.2020, 04:43 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

https://youtu.be/mFOlpEE-QYk?t=270

look at 4.30

I am quite disturbed by the images and videos i have seen regarding police brutality. Innocent people who are not even protesting are getting beaten, confiscated of their belongings.

Some of it does not even happen in my country which is effectively a dictatorship right now.

So sad.

https://youtu.be/3ertKiwPP-k?t=811

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 06.05.2020, 01:00 AM.

06.05.2020, 12:16 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

You have all known me for a number of years now and when ever there has been a 'discussion' between our members I have usually had an answer of some sort... Not this time... This will be my last comment on this event...

I am not conceding that saviour is right or wrong in his assessment of the situation over here... Maybe I see a different aspect of what is happening... For dozens of positive things I see happening, I see 2 or 3 negative happenings which, IMHO, are singled out and wide-spread by the media that get blown out of proportion to the whole picture... Or, like in many protests, like this one involving George Floyd, there are thieves, arsonists and looters who don't give a damn about what is being protested or even care about Floyd, it is just an opportunity to loot, burn and hurt others and these include all races,... Criminals are criminals, regardless and they don't like peaceful demonstrations, they like the chaos of running amok from one place to another creating destruction and injury.

As for the police, NO, I do not condone their times of violence, but what are they to do? Think about this, they have an uncontrollable mass of thousands of a mixed crowd, not always being able to tell the difference, and trying to control the the different situations with only hundreds on their side, if that! And having to work countless hours without letup, people screaming at them, some people even baiting them in order to create even more violence that can be video'd... What is the officer supposed to do? Just stand there and let the people do as they wish??? The greater majority of police would not even think of over-reacting to an arrestee, regardless of color. Yet, here they are, being blamed, en masse, for the actions of a few...

I've been involved in three of these, one as a bobtail truck driver having to drive thru a violent area to make my deliveries, scared as hell... Just the day before, another driver had been pulled from his truck and had a cinderblock slammed onto his head, while others cheered... My company stopped deliveries thru that area for the rest of the week...

The other two as a security officer protecting property. I wore a uniform & badge, so I was deemed just as guilty in the eyes of the crowd... I was lucky, they went around my posts...

I've already said much, much more than I intended, but these are my feelings on this. I feel for what has happened to Floyd and others, but destroying lives and property, many of whom are the same race as Floyd,is not the answer...

But this doesn't matter to the looters...

I will say no more in the subject...

Post last edited by husky51 on 06.05.2020, 02:29 PM.

06.05.2020, 02:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Speaking of police, in my home province in Canada two indigenous people were killed by police within eight days of each other. The first was a young woman whose boyfriend asked them to do a wellness check on her... it's really upsetting to me, especially after having police involved with my father when he had a wellness check and how well they handled him despite the circumstances. So why.. it just makes me so sad and angry. I'm fortunate the police in my home area took great care of my dad, it's just... upsetting knowing that poor young woman and a man were killed under similar circumstances. That could have been my dad, but my dad is a white man.

06.15.2020, 07:50 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Although I have watched this clip atleast 10 times still very funny

https://youtu.be/kx_G2a2hL6U

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

07.12.2020, 10:47 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
saviour2012
Baron

I have never been so torn over a US president.

Trump is excellent at defending against China. His actions are quite commendable. However i dont think he has an administration to execute it properly.

On the other hand there is the issue of him doing Stupid things. Messing around with Jerusalem.

I mean i know he is stupid but on the other hand he is taking some important steps against China

07.17.2020, 02:30 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can't even agree with the part about China. In my opinion, it isn't great to start a new Cold War by sucking up to them one minute and then needlessly stirring things up right after. He has no plan, and it shows.

07.17.2020, 07:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You've certainly had a lot on your plate.

I know very well how frightening it can be to come out, especially as transgender, so congratulations on taking the plunge. Society is a much better place for us than it was ten, twenty years ago, but it can still seem like quite a hostile world sometimes.

Feel free to drop me a message anytime if there's anything I might be able to help with.

My Anime List

08.30.2020, 08:14 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
Although I have watched this clip atleast 10 times still very funny

https://youtu.be/kx_G2a2hL6U

I am still smiling over this... and just came out with a good chickle...uh, chuckle... Thank you for this bit of humor, saviour...

08.30.2020, 12:16 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Thank you Kaz!

In other news, I moved out of my flat yesterday (and temporarily into a hotel). It was... quite an undertaking. So much cleaning, and then so much stuff to move. We got through it all in the end, but we're definitely going to need some more rearrangement of luggage before flying.

08.31.2020, 09:13 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wah, bit late but happy birthday Husky! Hope you were able to enjoy the day.

My Anime List

09.09.2020, 12:08 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
Wah, bit late but happy birthday Husky! Hope you were able to enjoy the day.

Happy Birthday to me,
I'm no longer seventy-three...
I'm hoping for a few mo-o-o-re,
I'm now at seventy-four!

Sigh... As I'm getting older, my rhyming skills are worsening...

Thank You, Kaz...
Went to a restaurant for a take-out breakfast and the owners fed me for free!!! I didn't even know that they were going to be there... They usually aren't at the time I was there... Nice surprise...

Then that afternoon, one of my local G-Daughter's called me up and wished me a Happy B-Day, then the other grandkiddies and their Mommy all wished it as well and I found out that a nice dinner was being prepared to be dropped off at my house in order to mantain proper distancing...
It was delish... and I got to holler back and forth with the family in the delivery van, lol (Mommy, Daddy and four kiddies) I miss not being able to exchange hugs and kisses... sigh...

09.09.2020, 02:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Happy birthday husky! Sounds like you had a pretty good time under the circumstances.

09.09.2020, 04:37 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Happy birthday husky! Sounds like you had a pretty good time under the circumstances.

Thank You, arren....

09.09.2020, 06:06 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Whew, that US election sure was exhausting. I suppose it still isn't QUITE over, especially in the Senate, but at least we know the main result. And if it hadn't been for the way votes ended up being counted so slowly, it probably wouldn't have even looked all that close in the end.

11.08.2020, 05:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Whew, that US election sure was exhausting. I suppose it still isn't QUITE over, especially in the Senate, but at least we know the main result. And if it hadn't been for the way votes ended up being counted so slowly, it probably wouldn't have even looked all that close in the end.

Well, Trump was telling people all along that if he lost the election, it would be because of voting fraud and cheating and that's what he is claiming now and is convincing many, MANY of his followers that he is right and if the ballots had been correctly counted he would have won BIG TIME! The thing is, many of the Republicans and the Democrats witnessed the counting and all that did have stated the counting was legal, contrary to what Trump is saying...

The slowness aspect is because each State has its own rules on how the votes are counted. Some states hole all the mail-in ballots until voting day (Nov 3) before they start counting them and other States have a wide method of counting and this has always been this way, but Trump has done what he could to slow the mail in ballots. His appointed Postmaster closed down and was removing sorting machines.. when they were sorely needed... And Trump was alternately saying "Count all the Ballots" or "Stop the Counting" depending on how he felt they were affecting his votes...

This whole thing has been a farce mainly by his handling of things, AT LEAST THAT IS THE WAY that I have been seeing and hearing from him... Trump is trying to divide the Country so that he wins and I see from what Biden is saying that he wants to connect the Country.

So far, All of his claims of malfeasence have been thrown out by the judges as being without merit and even his own people are saying that...

This is all a pain and I am not going to say any more about it...

11.08.2020, 06:23 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Of course Trump had that defence planned out from the outset. It looks like not enough people are buying it, though. He probably won't just go away, but I'm happy he's lost his job at the very least.

11.09.2020, 04:07 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Of course Trump had that defence planned out from the outset. It looks like not enough people are buying it, though. He probably won't just go away, but I'm happy he's lost his job at the very least.

11.09.2020, 07:46 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  123  124  125  126  127  128  129  130  131  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks