QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  125  126  127  128  129  130  131  132  133  ...    »  ]
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was always a bit curious why Japan is so friendly to my country (Bangladesh).

Today I know this is the reason https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radhabin...s_trial_dissent

TLDR: In the tokyo trials for WWII he was one of the judges. He insisted that basically the winning party is using the rule of law to force something onto the losing party. This is basically not how judicial system work as the atrocities done by the winning party is not in the trials (for example mass murder using the atom bombs)
Due to his judgement other judges were convinced and japan's retribution was lessened a bit.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

01.23.2021, 03:10 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thank God Trump has gone. Now lets allow people to sue his lying ass

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.25.2021, 06:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Thank God Trump has gone. Now lets allow people to sue his lying ass

YES, HELL, YESS!!!

UNfortunately, a VAST number of people, (including my sons and others of my family) believe that he is a hero and has done nothing wrong, and can do no wrong and has never misled them in any way.

And it doesn't help that Trump still, every time he speaks publicly (regardless of the event or subject), STILL slips in his claim that he was robbed and that the election was stolen from him...

And his Congressional supporters, and much of the Nation, adhere to this belief... and because of this, he still wields a lot of power behind (so to speak) the scenes...

(I will attempt to say no more on this political subject in the Tavern)

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.25.2021, 11:46 PM.

02.25.2021, 11:42 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

HELLO ALL!!! ..... HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY....

A surprise to me, but a few years ago, I found that I was 21% Irish!!!

Thirteen years ago today, after 'lurking ' a few days to see what this forum was all about, I joined the Ghibli Tavern and have never been sorry for that choice...

I have enjoyed (and still do) conversing with people of all ages and nationalities all around the world, not just about Ghibli movies, but pretty much any and all topics. And while membership has slowly dropped over the years, likely due to a number of reasons, the lack of new releases from Studio Ghibli; members growing older and moving on in life to name just two. We still see long ago members dropping by to say "Hi"...

I expect that I will be around until the very end because this has become a second Family to me... Take care an be a 'wearing o' the Green this fine day!!! (insert Irish accent, lol)

Husky

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.17.2021, 12:58 PM.

03.17.2021, 12:55 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh damn, 13 years today?? That just made me check my own profile and realise I'll soon have been here for 15... I don't know what to say about this.

Anyway, I'm glad you're still here after all this time! Thank you for still having something to say, even when it gets really quiet.

03.17.2021, 02:25 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

v^v^v^ c r e a k v^v^v^v^v^ c r e a k v^v^v^v^ c r e a k v^v^v^v

03.17.2021, 10:52 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
rompglide
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.07.17
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rompglide Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's lonely in this forum right now, I think all members have grown up already.

04.12.2021, 05:59 PM rompglide is offline   Profile for rompglide Add rompglide to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Not I, lol I'm still 74 going on puberty... lol

04.12.2021, 09:04 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, it's been really quiet lately. I've been about, but I don't often feel like I have much to say. I've been a bit stressed out a lot of the time recently, to be honest.

04.13.2021, 03:04 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

With what is going on over there, it is understandable, lady... May not help much, but if you ever want to talk, drop a PM...

04.13.2021, 10:33 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Its kinda true we have all grown up. Like i joined this 9 years ago, i cant even believe this.

Work life is kinda tiring and apart from politics there is not much to talk about when you are at the late 20s. At least thats what it seems to me.

Hope everyone is doing great

-----------------------------------------------------

Here is a random thought from 1995 perspective can suzuku's(woth) family be considered poor? or rich?

Did not watch it long time ago however i think 4 of them lived in 2 bedroom apartment in Tokyo.

i found this one for around 325000 yen or 3000 USD

this is a 660 sq ft or 66 sq m apartment.

LINK

which is very expensive in my view??? not sure. address is

```
3-6-3 NishiAzabu, Minato, Tokyo
```

with this money i can get a average duplex house in the most posh area in country with area around 3000 to 5000 sqft.

is this how life is in Tokyo that all your money goes to rent?

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.17.2021, 06:00 AM.

04.17.2021, 03:47 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

I wiah that I could contribut to your post, saviour, but I was in Japan in '66 and '67 and it was a western style house, a small one out in Hayama Kokusai suburb of Yokosuka... Clothing kept getting stolen off the laundry line so we moved into an apartment in Naval Housing in Yokohama... Mam and Dad handled the finances so I knew nothing about that. It happened that my step-dad and I were on the same ship in the US Navy, ao I stayed with them while in port in Yokosuka...

About all I remember was the exchange rate:
Japan was 360yen= $1.00 USD
Hong Kong was $5.85HK= $1.00USD

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.17.2021, 04:44 AM.

04.17.2021, 04:38 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

I think I can help a bit with this. First, the general cost of living in Japan is higher than a lot of other countries, so that also means that you can expect a different salary there. And even in Japan, Tokyo is definitely more expensive than other places, but again salaries will vary, and a lot of companies offer an extra stipend for people working in Tokyo, since rent costs a lot more.

I'd say the apartment you've picked sounds really expensive. When I lived in Japan, I had a bigger place than that for like half the price. But I lived in a suburb of Osaka, whereas that apartment seems to be in fairly central Tokyo (note that I don't know Tokyo so well, so I'm not sure which places are more or less expensive). Maybe that's normal for where it is.

In Whisper of the Heart, Shizuku's family live in a more residential area, and I think it's pretty far away from downtown Tokyo. People who can't get a place close to work will often commute from areas like that, so you could probably get more for your money there. It was also the 90s. I wouldn't expect their home was nearly as expensive as the apartment you've found.

So do I think they're rich or poor? Their home isn't very big considering they have two daughters, so that makes me think they aren't that rich. On the other hand, the mother can afford to go to graduate school and Shizuku's sister is at university, so I think they must be reasonably well-off. On balance... maybe slightly above average?

04.17.2021, 12:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Yeah I first thought they must be poor to live in such a small apartment. Then when I saw the prices for rent. I was like whoa.. that's pretty expensive.

From a average perspective I know salaries in Japan is lower than US or UK

Average salary for Engineers in US or UK is around 10k per month
Deducting tax you get around 6-7k

This house is 3k so quite expensive even in us UK standard

Do you think average salary in Tokyo is 1mil yen per month or more . I don't think so

However not 100% sure

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 04.18.2021, 09:40 AM.

04.18.2021, 09:38 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

Nah, that's definitely not an average salary. But I don't know if that's a very average apartment either.

04.19.2021, 03:47 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

OMG!

I can't hardly believe it... I just saw a training school for female Sumo Wrestlers in Japan!!! Something quite unbelievable to me... When it was regular on local TV here in the US, I watched a lot of Japanese Sumo... Started watching Sumo when I was in Japan...

Also learned about something called "Solo Wedding" for young women who have pretty much given up the thought of ever getting married so they go to a business where they dress up in western style wedding dress and have photos taken, etc... They may have Japanese style Kimono weddings, but they didn't get into that...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.21.2021, 11:51 AM.

04.21.2021, 12:22 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
OMG!

I can't hardly believe it... I just saw a training school for female Sumo Wrestlers in Japan!!! Something quite unbelievable to me... When it was regular on local TV here in the US, I watched a lot of Japanese Sumo... Started watching Sumo when I was in Japan...

Also learned about something called "Solo Wedding" for young women who have pretty much given up the thought of ever getting married so they go to a business where they dress up in western style wedding dress and have photos taken, etc... They may have Japanese style Kimono weddings, but they didn't get into that...

Young women solo wedding is not something i can quite fathom myself. Might be the side effect of hikikomori.

I am against the current trend of making marriage ultra difficult for young people/people in general. Due to the decline is average salary with respect to purchasing power it is quite difficult for many people to think about the responsibilities.

However on the other hand its not like we need more human in the world so not marrying is not fundamentally bad as long as the psychological affects are not very bad on male and female.

--------------------

Women Sumo Wrestling -> thats something i would not like to imagine now LOL

04.23.2021, 10:15 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My dad and I actually really enjoy sumo, we watch every tournament. Don't think there's any good reason women shouldn't compete. It's just still a sort of taboo thing. They aren't allowed in the ring at professional tournaments. I remember reading a report a while back about one of the referees or judges or something having a heart attack, and a female doctor from the audience came to help, only to be quickly ushered away. Traditions shouldn't get in the way of safety and common sense.

My Anime List

04.25.2021, 10:32 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I haven't seen a good Sumo match in agres... There used to be full contact Pro Karate matches as well.. I never liked wrestllng or boxing matches much because wrestling was too phony to me and even the Pro Boxers often threw dirty punches...

In all the years I watched Pro Karate, I saw only ONE case of unsportsmen like behavior that happened in a heavy-weight match. The guy was well booed by the audience, something I seldom ever saw...

sigh, apparently, not enough Yanks like it enough for it to be a regular thing on TV, neither Karate nor Sumo...

04.25.2021, 12:32 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I agree about boxing and wrestling, I don't like the way they behave. You could argue that maybe they're too formal and emotionless sometimes in sumo, but I much prefer that to the kind of nastiness I see from professional boxers. They act like they really hate each other and want to do harm.

We never get sumo on TV here either, though my parents remember when it used to be. Not sure when, during the 80s or 90s maybe? Anyway, we watch it online on NHK On Demand. You should be able to get it from the US too. Next tournament will be in mid May.

My Anime List

04.25.2021, 02:27 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
[  «    ...  125  126  127  128  129  130  131  132  133  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks