QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - which is better Anime or Manga?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » which is better Anime or Manga? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
No it has not, because im here..
So.. as Arren said, Mangas are the comics on which animes are mostly based or even vice versa..

10.07.2006, 07:38 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hmm, I haven't read any manga yet, but it seems to
have more depth and probably a longer story of
the anime, from what I've read on wikipedia for
my fav anime.

10.07.2006, 10:57 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
Mostly, if anime series is based on manga.. the manga is more intricate, with more depth...!
Even if there is no anime based on it, there are still truly amazing manga series, eg stuff by Naoki Urasawa or Yakitate Japan!! which must be the funniest manga I have ever read!!

10.07.2006, 01:33 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wanna read the fruits basket and fullmetal
alchemist manga, REALLY BAD NOW!!

10.07.2006, 05:52 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
heres a link to a scanlation of the Fullmetal Alchemist manga:
http://www.readmanga.com/view.php?currtitle=1
in case you didnt know, scanlations are fan translations of the manga!!
SO- ENJOY!!

10.07.2006, 06:22 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Dude, COOL!
I think I may have to buy it on toysnjoys!
They don't sell the manga here only DVD's.
It's my fav next to ghibli!

10.07.2006, 06:24 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
YO!!
No it has not, because im here..
So.. as Arren said, Mangas are the comics on which animes are mostly based or even vice versa..

Uhhh... no.

Okay, to keep the record straight and keep it that way, here's the FACTS for you people.

Manga is japanese for comics.

Anime is japanese for animation.

There's no real relation between the two. Anime does not originate from manga, nor vice versa. Only outside of japan, as far as I know, is where "manga" and "anime" are words used to describe strictly japanese productions.

We clear on this?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.08.2006, 12:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In Japan, the distinct side group is possibly "Amekomi" (American Comics). ie superhero stories etc. Interesting how there is always a word for that which comes from further away.

But yes, you're right. Although there is also a lot of anime that is based on manga and vice versa. (Much of the Jump comics for instance have their own TV series and spin-off movies.) With some small plot differences etc.

There is also a lot of cross-feeding between countries. Star Wars has been made into a Japanese comic book series. As has X-Men. (Those are just two I know. I'm sure there's more)

Just like Ame-komi, the source material is far too complex to say that "This comes from that" or "This doesn't come from that." For example, many Disney animation stories come from classics like "Arabian Nights" (Aladdin), Fairy tales, Classical Myth (Hercules)

But other animated series etc (Like superhero stuff) does come from comic books.

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.08.2006, 04:40 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
i didnt say it originated from mangas.. COR!!
I meant that a lot of anime series are based on manga series.. DUH!!

Anyway, the japanese word Anime comes from the english animation, otherwise it would not be written in katakana, but in hiragana or Kanji, so..

10.08.2006, 11:13 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just for the record, I never said that they are necessarily based on each other. Anyway, it's pretty easy to figure out that the word anime is related to the word animation.

10.09.2006, 11:50 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Still, cool.
I know what manga and anime are.

10.09.2006, 11:53 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Strangely though, manga doesn't come from the word magazine. Forgot what it means, though.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.11.2006, 06:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
there is a kanji for Manga, so it is a jpaanese word!!! Ill have to ask Jap teacher for the origin!! (if she knows.. )

10.11.2006, 11:47 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Strangely though, manga doesn't come from the word magazine. Forgot what it means, though.

I hadn't even thought of that.

But if there's a kanji for it, then it must be a Japanese word, no?

10.11.2006, 12:09 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
of japanese origin yes!!

10.11.2006, 03:01 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I looked it up.

The "Ga" part means "Stroke". Like a stroke of the pen.

The "Man" part is a little more difficult. Used in a different context with different pronunciation, the same kanji can mean "Involuntary / in spite of oneself." or even "Silly"

I have heard MANGA being described as "Silly Strokes".

Actually, even the Japanese word for Magazine (zasshi) does not come from "Magazine"

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.12.2006, 01:57 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
cool...
I thought magazine was shinbun...
Ah, no.. sorry. That was Newspaper!
Yeah youre right: zashi!

10.14.2006, 06:41 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks