QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can't wait to see them...
But I'll have to, won't I... sigh

12.14.2012, 03:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So next summer will now officially be the greatest summer of my life. I will definitely post impressions of both films as soon as I see them (and study Japanese like crazy in the meantime so I can get as much out of them as possible).

Miyazaki's new movie has me particularly intrigued right now, first because it promises to be really different from anything he's done in a while (or ever), and second because I can't seem to figure out what it's about, exactly. I know it's supposed to be about Jiro Horikoshi, the guy who designed the Zero Fighter, but the wiki and a few other articles mention that the story will be based on a novel, also called Kaze Tachinu, by Tatsuo Hori.

There is a very minimal Wikipedia article on the novel which suggests it's about a woman living in a tuberculosis sanitarium in Nagano (presumably in 1936, when the book was written). I haven't heard anything stating the movie is about a woman living in a sanitarium, but when you look at the poster they just released.... I dunno, I shouldn't read too much into a single image, but that sure looks more like a movie about a woman living in a mountain sanitarium than it does like a movie about a guy who designed planes.

My guess is that the movie is somehow based on Jiro Horikoshi's life as well as Tatsuo Hori's novel, but then the question is: how? Apart from the fact that Jiro Horikoshi was designing planes at roughly the same time Tatsuo Hori's novel was published, it's hard to imagine how Miyazaki plans to connect the story of a woman in a sanitorium with fighter planes and WWII.

I can't wait to find out what he does with the material, though.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 12.14.2012, 05:01 AM.

12.14.2012, 04:55 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My suspicion is it won't be about fighter planes and WWII but about the life and work of the zero designer. Its possible to run two concurrent stories in a movie - or more of course - with the female sanitarium patient being the other.

There has to be a link of course, we just don't know what that is yet.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.14.2012, 07:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Wikidkid101
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.27.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Wikidkid101 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was doing some research on the plot and the recurring things tend to be a biopic of the designers life. So I don't think there would be any link in with the woman in the tuberculosis sanitarium.

When i think biopic and usually when films are said to be biopic it gives a detailed look into the life of the person it's about! Looking at there trials and tribulations and the successes they have had with everything inbetween!! So I can't see why it can't be just about the designer!

I do think and I don't know why, but it almost feels to me as if ghibli or Miyazaki himself is trying to keep it hush hush! Because there is very little about the film other than a brief outline of the plot.

However like most ghiblis it sounds very interesting and intriguing!

12.15.2012, 09:23 AM Wikidkid101 is offline   Profile for Wikidkid101 Add Wikidkid101 to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
Can't wait to see them...
But I'll have to, won't I... sigh

lol so true we HAVE to wait a while.

12.15.2012, 09:53 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found this post regarding Miyazaki's new film pretty illuminating, plus it contains a link to an English translation of Tatsuo Hori's novel. It sounds like Miyazaki will be transplanting one of the characters from the novel (the woman with tuberculosis) into his story about Jiro Horikoshi.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 12.20.2012, 06:03 AM.

12.20.2012, 06:03 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sounds like it might be a story about inner strength or overcoming insurmountable obstacles, something like that. Spirited Away with an adult theme.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.20.2012, 10:05 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Calforsale
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From up on poppy hill is now out on a release in Australian cinemas.

12.26.2012, 07:18 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

No film nominationPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Poppy Hill didn't get a nomination for the oscars.

Best animation

Brave: Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman
Frankenweenie: Tim Burton
ParaNorman: Sam Fell, Chris Butler
The Pirates! Band of Misfits / In an Adventure with Scientists, Peter Lord
Wreck it Ralph, Rich Moore

01.11.2013, 10:04 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Guaporense
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.02.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Guaporense Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's because Up From Poppy Hill wasn't released already in the US, so it is not eligible for the Oscars.

Also, since Ghibli movies are never released with the original soundtrack and script, the nominated film is not the actual Ghibli film but the altered version released in US theaters, with the altered scrip (some scrips were altered in dubbs to a degree that severely damaged the film, such as Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky).

Anyway, who cares about the Oscars anyway?

From Up on Poppy Hill won the Japanese academy awards for best animation in 2012, the other nominees were:

K-On!
Buddha
Tōfu Kozō
Detective Conan: Quarter of Silence

Post last edited by Guaporense on 04.03.2013, 11:30 PM.

04.03.2013, 11:28 PM Guaporense is offline   Profile for Guaporense Add Guaporense to your buddy list
ilovetotoro.com
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.14.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ilovetotoro.com Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm looking to watch 'Up From Poppy Hill' very soon and I'm getting quite excited about it.

Would you say it's any good without ruining for me?

05.15.2013, 04:49 AM ilovetotoro.com is offline   Profile for ilovetotoro.com Add ilovetotoro.com to your buddy list Homepage of ilovetotoro.com
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Online ghibli Kaze Tachinu News threadPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

For Everything about Hayao miyazaki's Kaza Tachinu(The Wind Rises) Head Here:

LINK

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 05.20.2013, 03:01 PM.

05.20.2013, 03:01 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ilovetotoro.com
I'm looking to watch 'Up From Poppy Hill' very soon and I'm getting quite excited about it.

Would you say it's any good without ruining for me?

Yes, I liked it...

05.20.2013, 03:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kaguya Hime music will be done by Joe Hisaishi(first posted in imdb then verified from various sources this is the reason why it was delayed not the animation part)

First ever to work with takahata.

Guys please get exited i think this is the last chance to be exited in this site. What will happen after five years only Allah knows.

These even might be their last films.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]

05.27.2013, 04:46 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Of course we are all excited!

05.27.2013, 08:27 AM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
saviour2012
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Live action KIKI update

LINK

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 06.01.2013, 10:35 AM.

06.01.2013, 10:33 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
husky51
The Old Guy

Cool pic, saviour... thanks...

2014 in JAPAN, huh. be a while before we see it here...

06.01.2013, 11:36 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

A Japanese actress as Kiki is weird. She should be European, as should all the cast.

EDIT: And what is with that modern 'grrl power' pose? That's not the Kiki we know and love. Doubtful about this already.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.01.2013, 11:44 AM.

06.01.2013, 11:43 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.12.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I feel as if I'm getting really excited for these live actions, but they are probably either going to be a letdown or completely unlike the movies... Eh, fingers crossed!

06.01.2013, 11:43 AM San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g is offline   Profile for San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g Add San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g to your buddy list Homepage of San Toelle Ul Shichikokuyama-g
saviour2012
Baron

japanese anime live action adaptation does not really pull of because of low budget and sets.

If they want to adapt a fantasy then they need to create that kind of set.

or invent a new way.

Otherwise all the film will be boring.

06.01.2013, 12:47 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
[  «    ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks