QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Ghibli, Miyazaki etc. News Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

FYI to non-japanese speakers, "Sekai no Mannaka no Hi" translates to "The Tree in the Middle of the World".

And what is it about anyway? Sounds intriguing.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.03.2006, 04:42 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

cheers 4 translation^^^^^^^^^^

08.03.2006, 06:43 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gedo-Senki ranks No.1continually, in 2nd weekend.
http://www.cinemanavi.co.jp/info/last.html

2006.08.5 - 2006.08.06
This week / Last week / Title
1 1 Gedo-Senki (2weeks)
2 2 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (3weeks)
3 3 Japan sinks (日本沈没/Nihon Chinbotsu) (4weeks)

2006.07.29 - 2006.07.30
1 New Gedo-Senki (New)
2 1 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2weeks)
3 2 Japan sinks (日本沈没/Nihon Chinbotsu) (3weeks)

and, "Song of Therru" sold 141,000
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/ranking/30687/

08.07.2006, 08:38 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.06.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

8th of August, LE GUIN’S THOUGHTS ABOUT GEDO SENKI: Gedo Senki director Goro Miyazaki has updated his diary today with a post on Suzuki and him visiting Earthsea author Ursula K. Le Guin. It has some very interesting information. Of which the most important thing were Le Guin’s comments on Gedo Senki. With a warm smiling face she answered shortly "It is not my book. It is your film. It is a good film." Goro mentions that with these words he can now return happily and at ease to Japan. More info:
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#0808

08.08.2006, 04:24 AM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow...This is one huge thread...Anyways, Nausicaa.net mentions that some of Miyazaki's staff recently did some scenary scouting or something up in a mountain in Japan. So, to anybody who has read that book with two "no" in the title, does such a setting support the rumor that it is the next Miyazaki film?

08.09.2006, 10:07 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji
Wow...This is one huge thread...Anyways, Nausicaa.net mentions that some of Miyazaki's staff recently did some scenary scouting or something up in a mountain in Japan. So, to anybody who has read that book with two "no" in the title, does such a setting support the rumor that it is the next Miyazaki film?

No, it does not. This new film is supposed to take place in Kobe City, so there is no way that it's based on "Sekai no mannaka no ki".

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

08.09.2006, 11:10 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Indeed, In the production diary, it says they went to Kobe and scenary scouted Kobe-port and Himeji-castle.......
It also says Miyazaki ordered them to do so. http://www.ghibli.jp/15diary/000848.html#more

08.10.2006, 12:31 AM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by wushu-4-ever Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

12th of August, IN DEPTH VIEW ON THE ART OF GEDO SENKI AND MORE NEWS: Added some various news items today of which a new page: a dedicated Gedo Senki Collection page which has info about The Art of Gedo Senki with a nice set of pictures. Of course there’s more, you can check it out over here:
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#1208

Post last edited by wushu-4-ever on 08.12.2006, 10:47 AM.

08.12.2006, 10:45 AM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

Ghibli News scoooooop!!!

14th of August, LE GUIN’S TRUE OPINION ON GEDO SENKI: Last week Gedo Senki director Goro Miyazaki uploaded a post in his diary about Le Guin’s comments on Gedo Senki. Well, today Le Guin’s own and fuller report of her first response to Ghibli’s newest film has been uploaded.

Check it out over here:
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#1408

08.14.2006, 10:16 AM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's a very honest reply, what I would expect. She's right on both the fact that there isn't much of the original story being one of the down points, and the fact that novels and films are different forms of art altogether.

What I find impressive is that Gorou is actually worried about the author's opinions. I might be prejudiced, but an artist's pride in his/her works can often come across as downright obnoxious, so for a newcomer like gorou, this form of humility is something I can really apllaud upon.

So kudos to him for even attempting it. Three cheers for Gorou, ya?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.14.2006, 11:39 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You've got a good point there, Roarkiller. Considering Le Guin's disgust at the TV adaption, and also the fact that he'd apparently never attempted directing a film before, he was taking a bit of a risk, but it sounds like it hasn't turned out too badly.

08.15.2006, 01:35 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
wushu-4-ever
Warawara

16th of August, GREAT ACHIEVEMENT FOR LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY & GHIBLI RULES JAPANESE DVD MARKET: Oricon reports that the Laputa DVD is the second ever to have ranked in Japan’s DVD Top 300 for a period of 200 weeks and longer! The other DVD to have achieved this is also a Ghibli DVD, namely......................

More info:
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#1608

08.16.2006, 03:10 PM wushu-4-ever is offline   Profile for wushu-4-ever Add wushu-4-ever to your buddy list Homepage of wushu-4-ever
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Konan

No, it does not. This new film is supposed to take place in Kobe City, so there is no way that it's based on "Sekai no mannaka no ki".

It may not be set in Kobe, but there might be something in or around Kobe that struck Miyazaki's fancy. It can be a particular building, a particular winding street, or just the way the town meets the water.

08.16.2006, 11:15 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
That's a very honest reply, what I would expect. She's right on both the fact that there isn't much of the original story being one of the down points, and the fact that novels and films are different forms of art altogether.

What I find impressive is that Gorou is actually worried about the author's opinions. I might be prejudiced, but an artist's pride in his/her works can often come across as downright obnoxious, so for a newcomer like gorou, this form of humility is something I can really apllaud upon.

So kudos to him for even attempting it. Three cheers for Gorou, ya?

I think you're quite close, but I'm sure the author doesn't consider it being obnoxious. After reading her comments and knowing what she's talking about in regards to the story, most of her complaints are nothing more than her expression that Goro didn't fully understand her work. It's usually an unfair complaint, as nobody knows the story like the author does.

(slight spoiler ahead)

She did have a couple of complaints about the film that are valid. For one thing, she felt as I did that the backgrounds were not up to Ghibli standards. Most of the reviews seemed to think the backgrounds were beautiful, but I thought they were second-rate. The complaint I didn't know about is something that Hayao wouldn't have done--turning the main antagonist into a Disneyesque, purely evil character and giving that character the typical Disneyesque sendoff. I had assumed she wrote it that way--but she says something else.

Nonetheless, the film is really good even if it isn't like the book. She should appreciate the interest in her works now that her name has much wider recognition.

08.16.2006, 11:31 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I was referring to artisans in general. A lot of them have almost too much pride in their works.

And Laputa has it's own resident pure-evil character, in case anyone has forgotten.

Can't comment on anyting else, gotta wait till next feb.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.17.2006, 05:13 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
nanashi
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Miyazaki Goro talked with Oshii Mamoru in Monthly Cyzo (2006.

---summary-----------------------------------------------
Oshii:
I think that Miya-san's gap of his usual speech and behavior and his work is large. Did not you have repulsion to his such gap?
Goro:
Umm, He is not even in the target of my repulsion, because I hardly had the chance to know his real image to begin with.
. . . . .

Oshii:
You talked about "killing his father" in "Ged-Senki", don't you? I understand very well who plotted such a wicked situation. (lol)
Goro:
There was a producer who instigated me in my ear, saying that "Goro. after all, kill his father". (lol)
. . . . .

Oshii:
Did you want to kill your father by the real life before?
Goro:
No, I didn't.
Oshii:
Any time?
Goro:
No.
Oshii:
I thought, I wanted to kill Miya-san many times. (lol).
Because of he is the man whom I wanted to defeat, when I was making the TV series of "Urusei Yatsura" I mimicked Miya-san's methodology of the TV series.
(EDIT 2006.8.30)
. . . . .

Goro:
It is after I assume the curator of Ghibli Museum that I had to battle with father. As the creator, his opinion might be correct, but I had to said him, from the standpoint of construction and management, "It is not realistic". It became feeling "Keep out of it" for the first time at that time.
Oshii:
Oh, exactry, I wanted to hear it. (tears).
. . . . .

Goro:
I have two feelings now. "Because I made a work, I want to make a better work." and, "because I made a work, I will not make it any longer."
Oshii:
You will change, if it will release. The word that I can send to Goro, "Force him into retirement." It is your role and your obligation, Mr.Goro who is his son, it isn't ours. It is not happier than the making of movie, if I say from the conclusion. Then, your mother might feel sorry. I think that neither the home nor the movie coexist.
Goro:
When I talked with Mr.Oshii, I am not suitable for the movie director. I though I want to advance on the road against which it need not fight so much.
Oshii:
The director is the man who fights.
--------------------------------------------------
**Miya-san: Miyazaki Hayao

Post last edited by nanashi on 08.30.2006, 08:49 PM.

08.30.2006, 02:31 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

whoa... I'm not sure what to think about that... other than whoa, obviously.

08.30.2006, 04:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
nanashi
Ohmu

Ged-Senki exceeded 6 billion-yen -2006.8.27-
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/2006/34.htm

weekend ranking Aug 26-27
1.Gedo senki /total: 6,066,403,785 (435scr)
2.Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest /total: 8,726,601,897 (507scr)
3.Udon /total: 187,004,376 (284scr)
4.Superman Returns /total: 796,924,908 (490scr)
5.Nihon chinbotsu(Sinking of Japan) /total: 4,733,811,810 (289scr)

---=Old Ghibli Films Boxoffice=(EDIT 2006.9.1)-------------
01.Spirited Away boxoffice: 30.4bil-yen audience: 23.5mil
02.Howl's Moving Castle boxoffice: 19.6bil-yen audience: 15.0mil
03.Princess Mononoke boxoffice: 19.3bil-yen audience: 14.2mil
04.The Car Returns boxoffice: 6.4bil-yen audience: 14.2mil
--------------------------------------------------

Post last edited by nanashi on 09.01.2006, 01:28 AM.

08.31.2006, 09:07 PM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thats insane, are those just Ghiblis in the all time box office caseu i think Titanic is the one that knocked of mononoke.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.31.2006, 09:11 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Harry Potter knocked off SA. Or was it Spiderman?

Either way, it's a far cry from the other movies. TCR wasn't accepted as well, and personally I'm surprised HMC did that well. Maybe I missed too much and need to watch it again.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.02.2006, 05:59 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks