QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What book(s) are you reading right now?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What book(s) are you reading right now? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've read a LOT of Agatha's books. I have "Murder at the Vicarage" sitting looking at me at this moment... lol

I am reading "Wild Horses" by Dick Francis, also an author that I greatly admire...

04.26.2012, 03:57 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I need something good to read with detailed characters. :B Something full of whimsy.

My own writing is switching from melodramatic (some aren't though) fantasy to daily lives of various people. I like the two styles a lot. But it might confuse people if or when I am published.

Can anyone suggest a nice book to moi?
I'm thinking, if anything, in the future I may begin a small library aimed for native speakers of other languages since most books here are only French and English.

04.26.2012, 09:37 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Rossdude
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.13.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Rossdude Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just finished reading the Game of Thrones series (actually the books are called "A song of ice and fire" and they were brilliant. Right now I am reading The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. The Foundation series is pretty heavy on dialog and many the characters are similar, but the concept of a Galactic Empire and its collapse is amazing.

04.27.2012, 01:27 AM Rossdude is offline   Profile for Rossdude Add Rossdude to your buddy list Homepage of Rossdude
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahahaha, I remember reading that series (Foundation) over 40 years ago...

Damn, I'm old.....

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.27.2012, 06:07 AM.

04.27.2012, 06:07 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Reading "The Borrowers Avenged"

04.28.2012, 03:26 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Was looking at some reviews on Memoirs of a Geisha to find a number of people seemingly upset with the fact an American man wrote the book and that he shouldn't write it on something he is not.

Um, why not? I take it if this book had not become so popular then they might have not quite said that. As someone who writes, why should I be restrained to my own culture? Even if a Japanese person were to write a similar book, would it still be historically accurate? Maybe, but it still depends on the person. I thought the author did quite a bit of research. It was nice to read. It's not meant to be completely accurate, and I doubt he really wanted to pass it off as being. Then again, I just hope he didn't try to pass it off as being very accurate. I think the one thing I liked most with that book was it did say "Geisha are not prostitutes". So many people here think that and then act all snobby if I tell them otherwise. Urgh.

It's kind of like how I'll be wearing a kimono to a formal event at my high school and people ridicule me on even doing that. Not that I quite care. I'm not Japanese, but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate their culture.

04.29.2012, 09:54 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
It's kind of like how I'll be wearing a kimono to a formal event at my high school and people ridicule me on even doing that. Not that I quite care. I'm not Japanese, but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate their culture.

That's awesome, do it!

At my high school prom, a friend of mine (French-Canadian background) wore a traditional Chinese dress. It fit her perfectly, like she was born to wear it.

My opinion is we're all human, so don't let other humans tell you that you're not of their kind...

04.30.2012, 04:03 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

read "And Then There Were None..." by Agatha Christie last night at work. Not much else to do while sitting in your car at a work vehicle storage site...

04.30.2012, 02:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

Thank you for linking me to this! Thank you so much! I have not laughed this hard in ages! Its not just funny but bloomin' clever too.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.04.2012, 12:08 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

J.A. Jance's "Rattlesnake Crossing"

05.04.2012, 12:28 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm now patiently waiting for updates, haha...

05.04.2012, 10:35 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak

That's awesome, do it!

At my high school prom, a friend of mine (French-Canadian background) wore a traditional Chinese dress. It fit her perfectly, like she was born to wear it.

My opinion is we're all human, so don't let other humans tell you that you're not of their kind...

What kind of traditional Chinese dress? :3 I know of two, I think I know which one though. XD

I have a qipao. It's hung on my wall in my bedroom. It's black silk with red flower blossoms. I was actually going to wear a different qipao I found in a market awhile ago in sky blue silk with clouds and whatnot. But I chose the kimono since I want to collect them. This is identical to the qipao I own except mine is much shorter.
http://www.ancientmoods.com/products/Blo...m-596-339-.html

Agh, I'm having difficulty finding a book to enjoy.. Only being reading Dengeki Daisy, which is manga.. I have university to look forward to reading things. Oh god, three languages, one classics course and one English course in one term... I will die, but I'll be in heaven..

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 05.05.2012, 04:59 PM.

05.05.2012, 04:49 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

I love the coloring of the one you posted in the link... It's beautiful...

05.06.2012, 04:05 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mush
Baron

It was just like that one, except bright red with white flowers, and some kind of detailing on the collar I think. (It's been a while, so hopefully my memory is accurate).

Really gorgeous though -- and I like the black one you posted too!

05.06.2012, 01:19 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never heard the terrn qipao. That page calls it a cheongsam which is what I've always called them.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.06.2012, 09:38 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I've never heard the terrn qipao. That page calls it a cheongsam which is what I've always called them.

I looked it up and it said qipao is the Mandarin term for a cheongsam. XD I know they're both the same thing, but I usually call them qipao. I guess it's a more formal name? I remember it easier than the other word.

05.07.2012, 06:20 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

That's why I didn't recognize that name... I don't speak Mandarin... Of course I don't speak a lot of languages and the ones that I do know, I'm not fluent in them... Except English, I think... lol

05.08.2012, 04:17 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Mokiepoet
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.23.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mokiepoet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I’m reading Conrad’s Fate as bedtime story for the kids. As a general rule, I am a sci-fi/fantasy reader, but my Mimi left me some books of her 2 favorite authors: Elizabeth Jane Howard and Rosamunde Pilcher, so I am reading The Light Years by the first author. I read Fisherman’s Wives by Rosamunde Pilcher a few months ago and surprisingly, I liked it. It’s kinda neat, my Mimi wrote on the inside cover the date she read the books, some of which have several date entries. Makes me feel as if we are still earthly connected in some way I guess.

"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you." Natsuki

05.08.2012, 01:16 PM Mokiepoet is offline   Profile for Mokiepoet Add Mokiepoet to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

finished "Death and Honor" by W.E.B. Griffin last night...

05.21.2012, 12:10 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

"'J' is for Judgment" by Sue Grafton...

06.03.2012, 12:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks