QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Trains
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Trains » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  TrainsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

OK not such a big thing as it was were i am, but all the same there still fascinating things.
This thread is for any information you have about any type of train you can think about weather it be a diesel steam engine or electric its welcome here.
Ill start:
English electric Class 37 designed around 1963 in England used pretty much everywhere on the UK network with a total of 1750BHP and a route availability of 5, Nowadays they are very scarce being replaced with newer more powerful diesels like the class 66.

The class 37 in swallow intercity livery.

Class 66 in EWS livery.
(I didn't have any real life images so i used some from my train simulator.

Post last edited by hopexx5 on 01.19.2011, 08:33 AM.

01.19.2011, 08:26 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Comeon surely im not the only one with knowledge of trains.

01.19.2011, 02:08 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thomas!

Can't forget good ol' tommy!

P.S. My knowledge of trains is lacking.

Check out my music:

01.19.2011, 09:30 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

unfortunately... ditto.....

although I do know about wheel configuration...

like a 0-4-4 (no rear wheels, four drivers and four up front... an old steam engine...)

like ol' Thomas here would be a 0-6-0

I think???

01.20.2011, 12:47 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
hopexx5
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes thomas is a 0-6-0
Some more british loco's (orthough thay dont have to be british to be welcome here)
Class 56 build date 1976-1984 with 3250BHP top speed 80MPH route avalability 7. there arent alot of these left but there are a fair few and there are some in presivation to, mainly deemed redundant cause of exspensivness and replaced with class 58s which then were replaced by the class 66s which are now riveld by the new class 70s which have 3690BHP!

Class 56.
Class 58
Class 70
Sorry for large image size.

Post last edited by hopexx5 on 01.20.2011, 03:29 PM.

01.20.2011, 03:27 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know Thomas too!

Beyond that, I tried this train simulator game once and failed miserably... I blame the joy stick or whatever I was using.

01.21.2011, 12:04 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

Class 70

01.22.2011, 05:40 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found a couple that you might like, hopexx5

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:UP_GP38-2_588.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Southe...ia_May_2009.jpg

youtube also has a number of videos as well. I recognize the crossing of one of them... I-10 fwy at Sunset

Post last edited by husky51 on 01.23.2011, 06:31 PM.

01.23.2011, 06:22 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know much about trains or anything, but they sure are nice to look at.

Check out my music:

01.23.2011, 11:38 PM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
hopexx5
Totoro

I dont know much about this one but it sure is a sight for sore eyes.

01.24.2011, 07:08 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saddletank knows a bit about trains... but he tends to discuss them on train forums.

/\ is a saddle tank loco.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.30.2011, 08:16 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

I don't know???

Is Saddletank loco???

01.30.2011, 11:35 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes. Or was that a joke that just flew over my head?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.30.2011, 06:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haha, loco = crazy. And Saddletank is, but we love him for it. xD

Yay for high school spanish.

01.30.2011, 07:46 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's hard to get Americans fired up about trains--in a positive way at least. Only a few passenger lines in the entire country are turning a profit and only a few cities in the entire country make it convenient for passenger train travel. In Oklahoma City, for example, there was great fanfare over the "Heartland Express," which runs between Downtown Oklahoma City and Downtown Fort Worth Texas, about 300 Kilometers to the south. Nobody rides it. There's absolutely nothing to do in either downtown and public bus traffic is a joke.

As for freight, America lives by it. It's not glamorous, though, but seeing a train with four or five engines pulling 150 cars can be impressive if you're not at a crossing or live near a crossing. I live about one kilometer from a railroad crossing that leads to a Burlington Northern yard. Trains are required by law to sound their horns when approaching crossings and they do so at all hours of the night.

01.31.2011, 02:03 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
husky51
The Old Guy

I have a double track crossing about that far from my house as well. I have sat and waited as THREE trains went by before I could get by. As the one was ending from the east, one came by from the west and as it ended another one came from the east....

01.31.2011, 02:44 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
hopexx5
Totoro

I have a similar situation except i have a working railway and the old disused somerset and Dorset joint railway on my doorstep (not physically) the down tunnel in Shepton mallet in Windsor hill apparently was used to test Concorde's engines to destruction, fortunately since these structures are so well made the tunnel survived.
http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels...indsorhill.html
The somerset and Dorset railway survived until 1966 until it was closed.

Post last edited by hopexx5 on 01.31.2011, 11:03 AM.

01.31.2011, 11:02 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That link is broken... I was interested in reading it!

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
It's not glamorous, though, but seeing a train with four or five engines pulling 150 cars can be impressive if you're not at a crossing or live near a crossing.

I love the sight of a freight train going by, and in either direction you can't see the end of it. Really amazing!

I don't know much about trains although lately I've been learning a little bit about how steam engines work, and the history of machines in general. Lately I've started to become quite interested in the industrial revolution and of course railroads are a major hallmark of that. I find it very interesting that pretty much anything you see today was built by a machine that was built by a machine that was [...] built by a machine that was made by hand during the industrial revolution. ^^

Uhm, trains... trains were one of my favourite things in Japan! I loved being able to get basically anywhere on them, fast. My favourites were the tiny short-hop local trains. In Japan the trains are almost all electric, except for the most rural ones. It's a ridiculous country for a train network, having so many mountains and with trains being able to tolerate just such shallow grades, so everywhere they cut straight through in tunnels.

But I don't have much in the way of neat train pictures or specifications, I'm afraid...

Trains are cool!

Post last edited by Mush on 01.31.2011, 11:43 PM.

01.31.2011, 11:37 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
hopexx5
Totoro

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels...indsorhill.html
Is part of the somerset and dorset joint railway, sometimes called the slow and dirty because of the lack of highspeed lines.

Post last edited by hopexx5 on 02.01.2011, 07:31 AM.

02.01.2011, 07:28 AM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

hahaha, when I was stationed in Japan, I used to commute on a bus and a train, both to and from home. It's how I met Matio Takahashi...

Wish I knew where he is now, it would be interesting to hear how he has come along....

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.01.2011, 08:47 AM.

02.01.2011, 08:47 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks