QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've heard reviews that the movie is very average. Bland. Like "Story of O" was, watered down to be suitable for cinemas so much it becomes tasteless.

It has just been expertly hyped by the Hollywood hype machine. And since making money is what Hollywood is about they don't care if they churn out unimaginative tat, getting people into cinemas is the game.

I suspect "50 shades of grey" may be an unindented-ly apt title.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.16.2015, 10:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think I'll put more faith in professionals who have analysed the books and they're pretty unanimous in their opinion that there are massive amounts of abuse in the main characters' relationship, than in the masses whose defense of the movie is: you haven't read the books! They books explain that Christian has his reasons, and their relationship is actually so romantic!

Yes, because having reasons makes abuse ok.

Ugh, sometimes, the world is way too disappointing for its own good. Seriously, what is with this new trend of horribly written books becoming so popular. Please make it stop.

02.17.2015, 03:19 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've read recaps and watched videos of people reading the books out loud and even the tiny bits they quote are enough to make me want to run for the hills. :s I've read professional articles on how bad they are as well. One of the scenes made me cringe so much at the thought. I don't see how it was supposed to be sexy...

Yet my mom loved them. e.e And defends it. No, mom, don't.... Don't be that person.

"Christian has his reasons" That still doesn't excuse abuse. I keep seeing that one posted.

My friend's book club read it but most of them couldn't get through the series without being mildly mortified. Some liked it, but agreed to it was really bad and problematic.

My favourite that people defending the series like to say is, "It's just a book, get over it. It has no affect on people". Yeah, sure. Ok. Keep saying that. Just keep saying that..

02.17.2015, 10:54 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I would understand defending it on the grounds of it being a fantasy. All kinds of things happen in fiction that we wouldn't want in real life even if the fantasy is exciting. Plus, I think most people find it ridiculous when somebody argues that video games cause violence - another case of assuming that people desire the fantasy in real life.

I'd say the main issue is that people don't do that. They somehow argue that it's romantic and realistically desirable. Also, if it were just a forgotten niche book, there'd be little cause for concern, but because it's a huge sensation being made into a major Hollywood production, that's different.

02.17.2015, 04:54 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't read the book or seen the film and don't intend to, but having some knowledge of BDSM I do know that in a loving and above all trusting relationship where both (or all) parties enjoy it, such a relationship can involve abuse, where it is no longer 'abuse' (in the legal, negative sense).

I don't know how the book explores the subject but between consenting adults in private I have no objections and I know from some contact with the subject (friends mostly, but some personal experience) that a relationship involving sex of this kind can be exciting and fulfilling.

Many sexually submissive adults enjoy and even crave what an outsider may call 'abuse' but to those in the relationship is anything but.

I think there's a lot of ignorance at all levels about BDSM; many think it's dark, nasty and perverse, when it isn't - if it's of the "right kind".

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.17.2015, 07:49 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, it doesn't portray BDSM accurately. There's actually quite a few members of the BDSM community who have written about the books' inaccuracy.

I'm not an expert on BDSM but I know quite a lot about it and these books definitely do not do it at all justice. Besides that, the content... it's just.... weird. I can't talk in detail about that one scene because of what it contains here, but I can assure you it definitely wasn't BDSM. Also, the words this author chooses to use. Geh. I think there's also something about how Ana's not really that much of a sub and how the author definitely has no clue what she's talking about more than half the time. lol

I just see too many women idolizing Christian and wanting a guy like him and it's frankly kind of... scary.

02.17.2015, 09:52 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

It sounds like the book vs movie comparison and the content in general plus people's reaction to it would make good material for an 'anti' essay.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.18.2015, 10:19 AM.

02.18.2015, 10:18 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From what I've heard of it, the relationship in the book does not reasonably portray real BDSM. What I'm talking about is that, like in real BDSM, there is the involvement of fantasy - if you're reading a book or engaging in roleplay, you're into the fantasy with the comfort of knowing it isn't real. But yeah, as I said, the fact that people are apparently not seeing it that way, and instead think it's realistic and good, is troubling.

02.18.2015, 11:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No, Arren, I'm on the same side as you. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. XD But yeah, my biggest concern is how people think that it's realistic. I'm not one for censoring literature or anything. I'm fine with people liking the books and the fantasies in it, but it's the people who cross the line and don't see anything wrong with it or think the relationship is ideal and what they'd want... which is scary. lol Especially since my mother agrees that the relationship is realistic and completely consensual. lol This is also a peeve of mine with other books, especially books for young adults. It's just 50 Shades takes it a bit farther. I have a friend who did enjoy the books but she's also a literature major and sees the flaws in it. The people who don't worry me. lol I just wish the books were hilariously bad but the dialogue actually makes me cringe. haha

I'm not sure about the movie, I've heard it's a bit better than the books? None of my friends will watch it but my mom has.

I've read the other series similar to 50 Shades that my mom bought and found them equally or worse than that trilogy. lol Maybe I should find some decent novels on BDSM and stuff for my mother to read. Except then she might question me. lol

02.18.2015, 03:15 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

And, of course, it opens tomorrow at my local theater, but I think I'll give it a pass...

02.18.2015, 05:23 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Haha, good idea.

I hate stressing about how to pay for basic necessities. :s I feel like that's all I talk about because I'm so stressed. My mom gave me money to cover rent for next month but I feel bad because I don't want her to. She already covers loan interest. And the government still hasn't given her her pension yet.

I always feel subpar in school since my classmates always seem to get ridiculously great grades and then have the audacity to complain. e.e What... I just wish I was smart so I could get scholarships and maybe even a Master's... I've never seen so many people out to get their Master's. My mother never went for one because we never had the money for her to afford to.

Aw well. Applying for jobs next week for school and really hoping I at least get the school year one. I want it so bad. Feeling nervous though asking a professor if she'll be an academic reference though. The emails don't say they need to be but I want to. I'm sure she'll be fine about it but I'm still nervous. haha Like, this is a prof I call by first name and she's great and I've hung out with her and shown a lot of interest in her classes in regards to personal and academic interests. I'm just nervous she'll say no. lol I'm thinking of applying to work in the library and in the dining hall for next school year too. If I have two jobs that will give me a decent income although not really much... maybe 400$ a month. That sounds sad but my school doesn't offer many jobs and very seldomly do they go up to 10 hours a week.. I might see if my friend who is graduating can try getting me a job at her workplace. My boyfriend knows the owner.

02.18.2015, 07:28 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Final year of uni. I had plans since high school of what to do after my degree, to study a masters in urban planning. But now, i'm not so sure. Maybe i should do a law degree. or international development. or work first.

I'm just having normal 'Quarter life Crisis' angst. I need to find a career where i'll be at least not unhappy and depressed and has some job security. So many university graduates these days either spend such a long time or don't even obtain a job, or at least one other than hospitality and retail.

I guess the main issue is there is no job i can think of where I would like the day to day life.

02.19.2015, 02:09 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@fff, I feel your pain and I hope you'll be fine with your money situation. I too know what it feels like to struggle to even afford the basics, actually right now i'm considering in not buying a bed and sleeping on the floor of my new bedroom all year

I think u should ask ur prof. to be ur reference. Don't worry, i've asked prof. where i had no relationship with, they wouldn't have even remembered my name - but they were still very happy to help me out as a reference.

02.19.2015, 02:12 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Quarter Life Crisis"...

I've never heard that title before, calf, but it covers exactly my feelings at the age of 25... I got somewhat depressed... here I am, 25 years old and what the hell had I accomplished!!! Not a damn thing, to my mind. Struggling along on menial jobs, no girl friends, nothing in the way of romance at all. I had a lot of friends and acquaintance's, but nothing really deep or serious. I have a friend from that time, Deedee, she was 14 then and I was friends with her family as well, we are still friends today along with her aged Mom and her brothers and sisters.

Well, I'm getting on towards the end of my life, not real soon, I hope, lol, and I feel that I have done some good things in my life. I'm proud of my Navy Service, I raised three good kids and a Grandpa to quite a few and loved by all of them..

I'm reasonably happy... 'nuff said...

02.19.2015, 06:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks, Cal. I've been stressed over bills and things after my roommate left me in a lurch. Luckily, my power bill isn't very high but I'm upset she canceled it on me. She never contacted me about paying for internet after she canceled it but we got in an argument. I share internet with four others in my building and should still be able to in the coming school year so no need to worry over that, plus it's so much cheaper than with my roommate.

Weird thing is is I don't seem to come across as kinda poor to friends. They know I don't have much money though. I wish it were easier to get a job in this town. :/ I keep checking job ads.. It just makes me sad though that students with multiple jobs here use their money towards alcohol and cigarettes and other things because I'm like I need the money to live. That probably seems selfish or weird of me, but for some reason I feel that way. lol I think I'm getting into the desperate stages... It's just not fun feeling like this and I can see it's taking a toll on my happiness and being able to do well in school. My boyfriend fortunately feeds me but I don't like to be dependent.

Normally, I have quite a bit of savings but I used mine for textbooks and groceries. I think my mom might freak out if she sees how little is left of my bank account. Hopefully I get some back from taxes so I can afford a new passport (my only picture ID).

02.19.2015, 09:14 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Uhhh possible solution, FFF... Make with the big, sad puppy dog eyes and see if one of your schoolmates parents will adopt you??? lol

02.19.2015, 11:05 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the concerns about the covergence of fantasy and real life is a REAL concern.

And fantasy works(weird ones) and their wide acceptence is infact the real reason behind that. The fact i like something in fantasy and not real life is for

1. Laws
2. possibility of losing status
3. social acceptence

for most of the people in western world no 3 is fading. So if anyone just does not care about these then he will do those fantasy in real life. Thats how we get phychopaths and such. You must not accept a bad thing at all no matter the place.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

02.21.2015, 07:00 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
arren18
Administrator

I'm reasonably confident that isn't how psychology works. A regular person doesn't read Lord of the Rings and then, because they don't care what others think of them, start murdering people.

02.21.2015, 08:10 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I agree with Arren. There have been many long running debates in the west, ever since violent computer games came out, about how these might help young people to become violent. Before violent computer games we had the same debate that watching pornography helps make people into rapists.

Despite decades of debate and medical analysis there is still no evidence whatever that either claim is true or even justified.

"Student X shot several people on campus and he played Grand Theft Auto that has murder, theft and sex in it!"

This is what the media love to hear. They don't think before they see the opportunity for a sensational story. The truth is that millions of people play violent computer games (or read violent or sexual fantasy works) or watch porn, and if there was a correlation between doing that and anti-social behaviour we would have far more violent and sexual crimes in the world.

The fact we don't tends to support the theory that people who commit violent or sexual crimes have a problem already, often one of upbringing, education, family and peer pressure.

02.21.2015, 08:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Technically, saviour is right, except we don't generally associate it with the right media. Books have long been shaping the human psyche, except they were previously non-fiction. Books of philosophers have been shaping the human mind for millennia, holy books have been well you already know (haha), and more recent trends include self-improvement books. Who Moved My Cheese is a well-known example.

The fact that one media has been so generally accepted to be able to mold the human mind while other media highly debated about is, to me, one of the pinnacles of human irony in logic.

Also, on anti-social behaviour. One word: hikikomori. Or in two words, shut-ins. Also see: nerds.

Big obvious relation to anti-social behaviour if you ask me

On an unrelated note, I argue that no ghibli film can win an oscar if it was never shown in public in the first place. That said, I doubt any of Takahata's movies sans GotF are oscar worthy anyway, at least not in the eyes of the judges

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.23.2015, 09:33 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    ...  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  80  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks