QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Post your random thoughts here!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » Post your random thoughts here! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Busy playing games. Fallout 4 is scarily addictive plus I am organising another Napoleonic campaign for my online friends. These need stacks of research to get the maps, forces and rules right.

It bothers me a bit that I haven't watched any anime in weeks.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.23.2016, 01:59 PM.

02.23.2016, 01:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha
Just call me an old worry wort...

I realize that my young family (yeah, even you, Saddles) is growing up and getting older and, as has happened so many times in the past, moving on in life to other interests and responsibilities. I just want the Tavern to be around forever and forever! But it won't happen unless we all can participate and continue to entice (? not the word I'm looking for) new members.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not berating you for not posting, I realize that not everone has the freedom that I have to come online many, many times during the day and night. Although I, too, have taken on some responsibilities myself. As I may have mentioned in the past, I am an amateur historian in my area and was recently appointed to the Historical Commission for the County that I live in.

We here in the USA don't have the human history that the European and Asian Continents do, but it is still enjoyable to delve into our relatively recent past of 100 to 150 or more years ago. To try to find out the different things that the people had to deal with and lived with back then. To try to get into their minds and try to see what their lives were like and about back then.

Anyway, enough of my hysterical, historical ranting, lol

I just love all my Tavern Family and miss you...

Post last edited by husky51 on 02.23.2016, 02:01 PM.

02.23.2016, 02:00 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been busy, too. I won't be able to come on as much until around the end of April, because track season is about to start.

02.23.2016, 08:32 PM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Haa, finally finalised my shortlist of Japanese universities I want to go to. Handing it in tomorrow. In order of preference, it's Nagoya University of Foreign Studies, Mie University, Wakayama University, Ryūkoku University, and Kanazawa University. Nagoya comes with a guaranteed scholarship of 60,000¥ per month, which is about double the cost of rent there... so, naturally, it's a very popular choice. I did well in my exams, though, so I think I have a fighting chance. I'd still be very happy with Mie or Wakayama though so it's all good. Ryūkoku is comparatively expensive and Kanazawa isn't ideal for me as far as location goes, but they're both very good, too...

Ah, it's Japan Culture Day at university tomorrow. My friend is going to wear her yukata; it's really pretty. ^^ I'm looking forward to my bento too~

Speaking of food, I'm on a diet at the moment. Trying alternate-day fasting; not as severe as it sounds, I just have to eat less than 500 calories every other day. It's been about a week or so and it's not too difficult. I'll see the effect once I go home for the Easter holidays at the end of next month, since we have no scales here.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 02.25.2016, 09:04 PM.

02.25.2016, 08:58 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, sounds good, Kaz! My best friend's university gave her a 80, 000 yen monthly scholarship and I have another friend who also received the same scholarship. Hopefully you do get your first choice. ^^

I feel kind of sad because I'll never have a chance to go on any of the Japan exchanges but I've been giving out tips to first and second years on when to apply and if they can. Kind of surprised how many students are discouraged from studying abroad. Because my friends who have gone all had pretty different degrees from one another, I've just been telling the lower year students that they can do it no matter what. If they can afford to and want to go on the exchange I don't see why not.

Oh yeah, I forgot to post much about my JET interview. It was a pretty fun interview, I messed up a lot but I liked it. I just was super nervous and they seemed to really be impressed by my application. I'm not sure if I did well enough to get in but I... liked the interview for some reason. ._. So if I do it again I'll probably be super chill about it. Except they ask the... Weirdest. Questions. Ever. Nothing they asked me was anything you could find online. Nothing.

I actually wound up with the more lenient interviewers in comparison to my friend and acquaintance who were interviewed before me. I wound up chatting with the guy working for them in the waiting room about Hokkaido and stuff while the others waiting looked at us like we had two heads.

02.25.2016, 09:24 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, I'm surprised at the choices you have for universities! A few of them are in pretty small places, and they're all quite close together as well. Good luck with getting your first choice!

By the way, when does your year abroad start? This autumn?

02.26.2016, 01:25 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Good luck Kaz. That all sounds like dreams coming true. I'm so happy for you.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.26.2016, 06:04 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@kaz and @fen

in my university there is three or four positions for one year japanese university program with 80000 yen scholarship. on which nobody applied last two year, probably this year too (mostly because my university does not accept credits outside university, so they will need to retake the courses they missed). still i wonder why nobody applied at all, its a great chance to visit a foreign country for free.(well, i did not apply because i dont find japanese culture very appealing nowadays)

on a side note:
japanese gov is actually worried about workforce. And if you really want to live in japan then there are some ways to do that( specially if you are from STEM subjects). most people know how bad the work environment is in japan(12+ hours).

anyway cheers to kaz for picking a great list of uni, i hope you get there and post some awesome pics about the place

@kaz
as far as i know we need 1500 to 2000 calorie per day. do you mean you only eat 500 thats impressive, i just hope you dont get sick.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 02.28.2016, 01:12 PM.

02.28.2016, 01:09 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

500 calories every other day, Saviour. I would starve if it was every day. xD

@ arren
We had around 25 in total to choose from, I just ended up choosing all Kansai ones, haha. Aside from Kanazawa, of course. Kansai seems like the best location if you want to travel and do some sightseeing since you have Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and so on in close proximity... and it's not too difficult to visit Tokyo either. It was mainly location that put me off all other places like Hokusei Gakuen in Sapporo, any universities in Kyushu, and Okinawa... As for Tokyo, it was just a bit intimidating for me. :') I'd like to have my first experience of Japan in a slightly quieter place than that vast metropolis... And yeah, I'll be going this autumn.

Thanks for all the luck, guys. <3 I just hope it's not too long a wait before we find out where we're all going!

@ Saviour
I would like to live and work in Japan, I think, but not as a typical salaryman... I don't think I could cope with that life. Really, no-one should have to. It's so unhealthy, mentally, physically, socially... and there doesn't even seem to be good reasoning behind it. It isn't a more productive or efficient way of working.

My Anime List

02.28.2016, 02:12 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I suppose your Japanese department is a bit bigger than Edinburgh's. 25 is so many to choose from! And you're right, Kansai is the best. I picked it for pretty much the same reasons. Kyushu would be a fine choice too, but it isn't quite so convenient.

02.29.2016, 09:05 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oops!, my new Dragon Eggs received too many clicks and got sick. I have to hide them for a bit...

03.05.2016, 07:48 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Lynnie
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.07.15
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lynnie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ugh....I used to be a good student and get good grades. Now my grades are bad no matter how much I study.

Well...I am better at history. I'll be sticking to that!

Post last edited by Lynnie on 03.06.2016, 02:18 PM.

03.06.2016, 02:12 PM Lynnie is offline   Profile for Lynnie Add Lynnie to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Happy Easter/Chocolate Day, everyone!

*scuttles off in search of Creme Eggs*

My Anime List

03.27.2016, 08:33 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
FlareNetworkC
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.02.14
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by FlareNetworkC Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Happy Easter!

03.27.2016, 09:16 AM FlareNetworkC is offline   Profile for FlareNetworkC Add FlareNetworkC to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Happy Easter, all...

Goes looking for last year's elusive eggs that I forgot about until now... yummy... lol

03.27.2016, 12:57 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I might be falling in love!

03.28.2016, 01:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Yay, Saddles...
============================================

This is a few hours later and I'm watching a TV show called "Independent Lens" about a man named Randi Oakes. A magician and debunker of people (like Harry Houdini) who claim to 'channel' past spirits or other so-called ESP powers... So-called phychic's, including some so-called faith healers like Rev. Popoff for one,supposedly 'healing' ill people.

One of the many people commenting during the show was Adam Savage and while he was speaking, in the background was an image of our old friend "No Face"!!!

I felt that I had to mention it...

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.29.2016, 01:52 AM.

03.28.2016, 02:26 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
husky51
The Old Guy

Where'd everybody go???

04.04.2016, 11:31 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Final week of classes for me, lots of assignments, also my skin is acting up and I'm in a lot of pain. Oof.

Now that I'm stuck being unsure of what to do for the rest of the year.. I don't even know where I'll be living in a few weeks.

04.05.2016, 08:39 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Big Hugs, Girl... Hope you're feeling better soon...

04.05.2016, 10:41 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    ...  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks